1. Welcome to the newer, better version of Android Forums! Be sure to see the announcement and enjoy checking it out!

Some of you have been having login issues. - Please try now. Sorry for the trouble!
  2. All attachments uploaded on the first day of this new look need to be re-uploaded, or will appear broken. All prior to that, and all going forward, should work fine. We apologize for the inconvenience!

Support GS4 delays in talking to car

1. Adara

Adara Well-Known Member

Preliminarily, I note that I believe the problem has to do with my car (a Mazda, if that matters), not my phone (as the car did this with my last phone). What I'm wondering is if there's some sort of work-around I can do from the phone to make the problem go away.

The set up: Phone is in its cradle, with a bluetooth connection to my car. Phone is running some navigation for me via Google Maps/Nav.

If I want to listen to music while this is happening, I MUST listen to music from my phone -- I can't use the car's radio. (i.e., the car will only allow bluetooth navigation commands to interrupt bluetooth music; it won't allow bluetooth navigation to interrupt radio music.)

So, I'm playing some tunes with Google Play Music or the Samsung Music app.

The Nav program wants to tell me to take a right up at Sierra Madre Blvd. The music instantly pauses, and I know a command is coming. And what I eventually hear is " --re Boulevard." The first half (or more) of the voice directions is lost (somewhere between my phone and my car). Now, sure, I can look at the phone and figure out what it had in mind, but the whole idea here is voice nav.

The work-around I've been using is to NOT use bluetooth. This way, the directions just come out of the phone's speaker, and I hear the entirety of the directions. (I can listen to the car's radio while this is happening, too -- bonus.) But this solution lacks elegance. It PARTICULARLY lacks elegance if I want to take or make a call while driving, because now I'm not on bluetooth.

So I guess what I'm asking is: Is there some way to get the phone to insert a pause or something before each direction, so that I can hear the whole thing? Or is there some other solution to this problem that I'm missing?

Advertisement