1. Good things coming in just a couple hours, stay tuned!
    Dismiss Notice

GS4 owners...How long does it take your phone to charge?General

Last Updated:

1. sean76

sean76 Well-Known Member

So trying to get a pulse on how long it takes to charge the GS4...

All posts, thoughts, and experiences are welcome from charging it from 5% to 100%, 50% up to 100%, etc, etc...

Advertisement
  2. LookSir,Droids

LookSir,Droids Well-Known Member

I always try to keep my battery above 50%, like my gas tank.

I haven't really monitored how long it takes yet though.. I believe it to be pretty quick, but that's when I'm not doing anything on it. What I have noticed, is that if I'm doing anything streaming or downloading related while it's on the charger, my battery life doesn't really increase or decrease by more than 1%. That's also usually with the display on.

Hope that helps a little
  3. jamsterdm

jamsterdm Well-Known Member

Charge it when its about 60-70 just to be safe, its only my 1st full day so may change
  4. Tsepz_GP

Tsepz_GP Well-Known Member Contributor

It's very quick I must say, I'm pretty sure it's doing 10% every 10mins or so, so 0-100% can be done in around 1h40min to 2h, it seems to slow down between 90-100% so thats why I say 2h, but upto 90% it seems to just fly through the charging.
  5. Okapdroid

Okapdroid Member

Well the battery was 50% charge when I received SGS4 yesterday and it took approximately between 1 - 2 hours to reach the full charge status with the light turning blue from a pink magenta. I let it ran down to less than 10% this evening and it took approximately between 3-4 hours to fully charge. Mind you, I wasn't actively timing each charging session with a stop watch so the times I stated are just my estimations on the time it actually took while I was moving around my home doing other activities and minding that mini me (my son) didn't mess with S4 while it was charging.
  6. cary328is

cary328is Well-Known Member

7. NZtechfreak

NZtechfreak Well-Known Member

The S4 uses the same Samsung 2A charger the Note 2 used, so it isn't just Snapdragon fast charging in action here.
  8. Shocky

Shocky On Probation

I would agree with 90 mins to 120 minutes.

First time I put it on charge I was surprised when I came back at just over an hour to see it on 90%, a good surprise of course. :D
  9. sean76

sean76 Well-Known Member

Lol...my HTC one takes about 2 and a half hours to reach a full charge....

Clearly the S4 is in iPhone 5 territory with how fast it charges
  10. speedlever

speedlever Well-Known Member

I was down to 11% a couple of days ago. It took right at 2 hours to recharge to 100%. I just happened to be standing near the phone when I saw the light switch from red to green indicating a full charge was achieved. This is with the phone on, in standby. I don't know if it will charge faster if the phone is off or not.
  11. Money_Mark

Money_Mark Well-Known Member

Per the owners manual, it takes approximately 4 hours to fully charge a dead battery.
  12. NZtechfreak

NZtechfreak Well-Known Member

It most certainly doesn't take four hours!

Two hours tops, and it will charge rapidly up to 80-90%.
  13. sincarafan

sincarafan Well-Known Member

Mine takes no more then 2 hrs on a very low battery. Only 45 mins to an hour at 40 to 45 percent.
  14. zig8100

zig8100 Member

Quick Charge 2.0 is only on the Snap Dragon 800 not the 600. The S4 uses the 600.
  15. Poweranimals

Poweranimals Well-Known Member

Mine charges super fast. My battery was at 15% and an hour later it was already at 85%.
  16. icedtea

icedtea Well-Known Member

S4 charges in less than 2 hours time.. but you can notice 1-3 % drop in minutes even if the phone is locked.. :( or shall i say, the unit is idle.. (not to mention the default apps that are running. . .)
  17. speedlever

Put it in airplane mode and lose about 3% overnight.
  18. icedtea

with your statement.. you are saying that .. the drop in percentage even a phone is idle / not being used but NOT OFF. .is "normal"
  19. speedlever

20. icedtea

21. itsallgood

itsallgood Well-Known Member

From 5% to 100%, mine takes around 2 hrs in standby mode. It charges in about 1 1/2 hrs if my phone is off during charging. I use my phone as an alarm clock, so the screen is on, but dimmed, and it takes about 2 1/2 hrs. from 5% to 100%. For the size battery the S4 has, it charges really fast in a short period of time.
  22. mahler9

mahler9 Member

I let mine go down to 20% and it takes about 90 min to charge back to 100% in the phone.
    The Samsung charger takes about twice as long to charge from 20%. That's why I have two batteries, one is always full and ready to go
  23. lotus49

lotus49 Well-Known Member

Using the stock charger (which is the best phone charger I've ever used, hands down) two hours from completely flat to completely full.
  24. icedtea

and how about your battery usage? :)
  25. lotus49

lotus49 Well-Known Member

Pretty ropey to be honest, which is why I have so much experience of charging a completely flat battery and why I always carry two fully charged spare batteries.

Fortunately, swapping batteries takes about a minute so I have never had to put up with a phone with no power.