GS4 thoughtsGeneral

Last Updated:

1. speedlever

speedlever Well-Known Member

I went from a 3.5 inch Android screen (S720C) to the Galaxy Note 2 earlier this year. Loved the huge screen... and yet hated it too... for the size. So I swapped out the GN2 for the GS4 and have been loving the GS4 ever since. No regrets, at all.

Fast forward to last night when I popped in to my local phone store just to take a look at the GN3. All of a sudden, my right sized GS4 is looking smallish... and I'm really liking the GN3.

No, my GS4 is not threatened, only my wallet is. So I will be sticking with the GS4 until I'm eligible for an upgrade. But still, I was surprised how much I liked that GN3. Maybe I would quickly tire of the size. OTOH, maybe the GS4 was my way of becoming acclimatized to larger and larger phones!

I figure the GN5 should be out around the time I'm due an upgrade. :D

2. dynomot

dynomot Well-Known Member

If you like your GS4 stick with it. I have both, I have been using them in tandem (alternating days) with exactly the same set up, right down to the home screens. While the Note3 has won due to the S pen and larger screen I can't say I have noticed any difference in performance between the two. Side by side the Note 3 has a slightly better screen quality, but not by much in real world use.

I'm selling my SGS4, and it was a tough call, I'd like to keep both, but financially that is not an option.

Save your wallet, enjoy your SGS4.
  3. Funderbolt

Funderbolt Well-Known Member

Try putting that Note in your shirt pocket.
  4. speedlever

Hah! The only shirt pocket I ever put my GS4 in would also take a GN3. ;)
  5. jejb

jejb Well-Known Member

Both great phones, no doubt. The GS4 is as big as I am willing to carry around, so it's an easy decision for me. But I can see being torn about it if the carry size is not an issue for you.
  6. speedlever

As stated above, as appealing as the GN3 is, I will wait until time to upgrade and see what's cooking then. (all else being equal, of course). ;)
  7. Nick The Great

Nick The Great Well-Known Member

Sounds like you've got screen envy. I personally found the S4's screen too large at first
  8. speedlever

Yeah. That's what I thought about my GN2. So the GS4 is just right-sized... for me. But darn, that GN3 is sweet! And now it doesn't quite seem as large as I remember my GN2. ;)
  9. Tsepz_GP

Tsepz_GP Well-Known Member Contributor

The Note 3 is definitely narrower than the Note 2, that's why I'm also tempted as it JUST manages to fit in hand comfortably, lol! Loving my GS4 and its size, but man, that Note 3's display is glorious!
  10. ironass

ironass Well-Known Member

Whilst the S4 and the Note 3 both have screens with identical pixels, 1080 x 1920 pixels, the extra .7" on the Note 3 screen means that the pixel density drops from the S4's ~441 ppi to ~386 ppi on the Note 3. See, here. Nothing that is noticeable in real use though.

The biggest drawback, for me, is that the Note 3 is not a one handed phone. By that I mean that the S4 is the largest sized phone that I can comfortably use one handed whilst the Note 3 does require two hands or a flat surface, to use it comfortably. For me, this was the deciding factor when it comes to choosing a handset as there are numerous occassions when I need to use the handset mono handed.
  11. speedlever

I find the GS4 barely one handed for me (with the case I use). I was a bit surprised to find that the naked GN3 felt pretty comfy in hand. Perhaps over the course of a few days ownership, that perception might change.

I'm a fan of relatively minimalist cases and use a Speck Candy Shell Grip case on my GS4. I don't care to have much of a larger case than that. I had a multitude of cases for my GN2 (one being the Otterbox Defender... which I did not like at all). Anyway, it could be that the addition of even a minimalist case like the Speck might be too much for the GN3.

Your point is well taken.

IAC, this is all idle speculation anyway. For now. ;)