GSam Battery MonitorSupport

Last Updated:

1. dan44762000

dan44762000 Well-Known Member

i currently have no problem with my battery life and am very happy with it but i am intrigued and wanting to try this app out to see if there may be other thing i can do to get that little bit more juice from my battery .

what i am wondering though is if this app will contribute to more battery than its worth ?

Advertisement
  2. StandingCow

StandingCow Well-Known Member

If you have no problems with batt life, you probably don't need it... but it is nice to know what apps are using up what amount of battery life. Sometimes you might get a "rogue app" that failed to close properly and it just sucks your battery dry.

It also gives you an idea of how much remaining battery you have, and average expected battery life from a full charge, so you get a lot of info from it. It has some other nice features, like how much your signal (be it low or high) has taken up... did your battery drain quickly this time because you were in a low signal area? You can look at this app and tell.
  3. dan44762000

that's why i wanted it , even though i have no issues with battery life it would be nice to be able to monitor my battery and see what is using what .
  4. StandingCow

StandingCow Well-Known Member

Yep, that's why I got it, I just like to know what my phone and what my apps are doing. :)
  5. trucky

trucky Well-Known Member

It's a cool app. It's free. It won't make smoke come out of your S3. You can delete it if you don't like it.

Go for it...
  6. Pookeysgirl

Pookeysgirl Well-Known Member

I just downloaded it this morning. I really hope it can help me find where the draining is coming from.
  7. trucky

trucky Well-Known Member

Now ignore it and do what you normally do. Dig into it at the end of the day, before you recharge.
    Pookeysgirl likes this.
  8. Doit2it

Doit2it Well-Known Member Contributor

I've been running GSam for months with no adverse issues. My battery life is consistently close to 20 hours, but I'm a light user. I see NO impact on battery life from GSam. GSam is a great app for seeing what is using your battery. Wake states, stay awake, GPS, etc. stats all given in reports. I've told forum members numerous times to use this app to find battery 'leaks' and they all thank me after.
  9. dan44762000

i bought betterbatterystats , it offers so much more than gsam .

thanks
    dan
  10. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

Fully concur. It actually helps you find out what is wrong. I can't get my head around GSAM's "usefulness". Its just no substitute.
  11. JingJangJoe

JingJangJoe Member

Pls do tell why.

Thanks
  12. SUroot

It just is so much better...

I'll demonstrate

From my widget (top part of the screen) I can see from a glance whether I have a high or low amount of partial of kernel wake locks. This shows me if I am having an issue or not.

[​IMG]

When I go into the app it self, I look at Kernel wakelocks, I see multipdp (which I know is due to data network connectivity)

[​IMG]

I can easily see which apps are holding partial wakelocks (stopping the phone from sleeping):

[​IMG]

I can break down the states my phone was in:

[​IMG]

and I can easily see what apps are waking my phone..

[​IMG]

Its just more intuitive. You don't sit there with BBS going "Kernel is keeping my phone awake, wtf does that mean?" You sit there with BBS going "Ebay has woken my phone 223 times even though I'm not using it and my hullomail app is keeping my phone awake slightly"
    Doit2it and John P like this.
  13. John P

John P Well-Known Member

That is all true. The trouble is if you are not rooted you cant access the alarms section of BBS (unless newer versions have changed?).
    That is where GSam is useful, because on the app usage section, you can select from the drop down at the top 'view number of times waking device' which gives the information that you are unable to get through BBS without root. As I am not rooted, I personally use both apps and correlate the information from both.
    javamann likes this.
  14. SUroot

Ah I've got no idea what does and doesn't require root as I am always rooted to be fair.
  15. amitbhatt89

amitbhatt89 New Member

Hi SUroot :)
    I m totally new on android (from symbian)
    I like your battery icon so much :)
    Can you let me know how can i change it ?

Thanks in advance :)
  16. SUroot

I am rooted, using a custom ROM and a Theme. It can't be done without this :(
  17. mumfoau

mumfoau Well-Known Member

Shoot, i should have kept reading before I paid 3 bucks for that betterbatterystats app. That Alarms thing would've been VERY useful.

Looks like GSAM will also show you the number of times an app has awakened your device as well.
  18. mumfoau

[​IMG]

Hmmm, Groupon seems to be right up there waking my device. Just unchecked deal notifications in the app.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
  19. sherlock5545

sherlock5545 Well-Known Member

Just a suggestion of mine, wouldn't it be better to set the App to a darker background? It would be more battery friendly, for what it matters :)
    Pothers likes this.
  20. mumfoau

What would be your recommendation for calculate time left? I currently have mine set for 60min.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Tapatalk
  21. amitbhatt89

amitbhatt89 New Member

Oh :(
  22. funkylogik

funkylogik share the love peeps ;) VIP Member

Its a great free simple substitute for androids battery monitor though imo :thumbup:
  23. SUroot

Its great to be free, but if i could actually discern something useful out of it...
  24. mumfoau

Yeah, I have since uninstalled it as I don't know what any of that stuff tells me about background usage. I just turn most social apps etc to restrict background data for when I'm away from Wi-Fi and I got 9 hours at work today before I plugged in at 28%!

Sent from my Galaxy SIII using Tapatalk 2
  25. funkylogik

funkylogik share the love peeps ;) VIP Member

Its just more useful than the stock monitor because you can decide when it resets itself whereas i think the stock monitor only resets after unpluging from >90% charge? Plus it seems to show more apps than stock one, like apps that use 0.1%
    Youre right though, i mostly just use it out of interest but when ive had dev's ask me to test an app ive used better battery stats and that app that measures cpu use while the phones "asleep" cpu spy?