• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

GSM LTE phones vs CDMA LTE phones radios

giper54

May 6, 2010
I found an interesting article about radios and LTE connections. The Radio Performance Disparity of the Galaxy Nexus on GSM and CDMA - Mobile Central - Binary Outcast

I have the oppurtunity to either go with ATT or Verizon. The article makes it seems that GSM is a better bet for LTE phones especially in areas with poor reception. I am hoping people can provide insight/comments on LTE phones for GSM and CDMA carriers and the article.

The Radio Performance Disparity of the Galaxy Nexus on GSM and CDMA

The Samsung Galaxy Nexus. It's Google's flagship phone that is designed to complement the Android 4.0

Post was long b/c it's actually a copy & paste of the entire article.

If I was not with VZW I'd definitely opt for a GSM phone, but it seems here that the issue is more the use of a substandard /subpar LTE chip for the phones made to be sold by VZW and Sprint.

Can the phones sold through Google Play Store be used at all on VZW / Sprint ( I'm betting not on VZW, buy don't know anything about Sprint....)

Upvote 0
Nice, if long, informative post. For the reasons you gave and others, it's always been a fact that GSM is a superior system vs CDMA. Given a choice, picking GSM is a no-brainer.

Just wanted to clear something up. In terms of technology, GSM has never, *ever* been superior to CDMA.

In fact, the principles of all the 3G "GSM" technologies in fact, use CDMA technology (WCDMA)

So in the terms of Capacity, clarity, speed, efficiency, and coverage CDMA technology has GSM licked by a long shot, which relies on TDMA.

Now many people will argue GSM somehow magically "evolved" into WCDMA, but that's just marketing speak, and it's not really GSM. The modern "GSM" network is actually a mix of outdated GSM and CDMA technologies.

:)

Upvote 0
I only have my own experiences to draw from, but I have two SGS3's, 1 on AT&T HSPA+, and 1 on VZW LTE. Same exact phones, different technologies/networks.
I live smack dab in the middle of the city of Tucson AZ, and when I download the exact same apps to both phones at exactly the same time, the AT&T phone beats the VZW LTE phone every time. Having said that, they are both screaming fast, most of the time.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones