[GSM] Need an advise for rooting

Last Updated: 2013-03-06 02:06:40
  1. SarcasmS

SarcasmS Member

Hello. Like u see im new here. My phone is with stock ROM and official ICS 4.03.
    I wanna do unlock and root, so i dont wanna do s/off for now, im wondering is this tutorial correct for that http://androidforums.com/3892643-post2.html
    its dated on 12 february 2012 thats why im asking? If it isnt what tutorial is the best based on ur experiences?
    What is the best recovery so far for our EVO3d phones?
    I dont want to flash another ROM now, just want root existing official ICS because i wanna do backup and delete bloatware. Is it possible?
    Tnx and apologies for noob questions:)

Advertisement
  2. Brian706

Brian706 Moderator Moderator

Hi Sarcasm. Yes that guide will work for you.

We will change a couple of things. First instead of CWM recovery, download TWRP Recovery from here: TeamWin Projects - TWRP 2.4 - HTC EVO 3D GSM | TeamWin. I have heard that CWM doesn't play well with this device, plus it's link seems to need an update as iit doesn't link directly to it. You will still follow the same instructions (rename to recovery.img) but just downloading a different recovery.

Just to note, 4ext recovery is probably the best for the phone. Especially if you are s-on, it helps you flash roms more easily than other recoveries. Unfortunately the 4ext app only lets you flash recovery after you already gain root. I have a CDMA version so my 4ext recovery.img will not work for you, otherwise I would just give you that to start with. After you are rooted, you can get the 4ext app and flash the recovery directly from the app if you choose to do so.

If you don't wish to flash a different rom, just flash the Super User patch from the guide. That patch will add root to your current stock setup and you will be able to delete bloatware and all of that.

Let me know if you have anymore questions.
    SarcasmS and scotty85 like this.
  3. scotty85

scotty85 Guides Guide

Brian706 likes this.
  4. SarcasmS

SarcasmS Member

Tnx for reply. So i should take 4ext?
    For tutorial i pasted, i should do everything to step 7 except flashing another ROM? because i dont wanna flash nother rom now. i really dont wanna get bootloop:( . So to summarise, for step 7 the last thing i should do is install superuser patch? Where can i get latest or most good SU ?
    scotty85 likes this.
  5. Brian706

One other (semi-optional) thing you will want is Busy Box. I say semi-optional because some root only apps require that you have it. It adds extra functionality to the phone by providing exta linux/unix commands to your phone.
    scotty85 and SarcasmS like this.
  6. SarcasmS

SarcasmS Member

Tnx. Im considering that to flash if everything thank God succeed, flash some jellybean ROM, but maybe. I really dont wanna do wire trick to get s-off...
    scotty85 likes this.
  7. scotty85

scotty85 Guides Guide

it sounds a lil scary,but its not that bad. ive done it several times :)
    Brian706 and SarcasmS like this.
  8. SarcasmS

SarcasmS Member

Will i lose all settings and apps with flashing superuser or thats happen with flashing another ROM?
  9. scotty85

scotty85 Guides Guide

you will not lose data when flashing superuser,however,you will lose everything when you unlock your bootloader. for security purposes,unlocking the bootloader performs a factory reset,leaving your phone in an "out of the box" state.

information on your sd card,will be fine. :)

make sure you backup anything on internal storage that you dont want to lose,and you can back up apps without root with my backup pro. no app data,just the apps themselves.
    Brian706 and SarcasmS like this.
  10. SarcasmS

SarcasmS Member

Ok so i have nothing to do with my stock ROM or should i have it on SDcard and where to download official gsm RUU?
    When i pres my zip file in twrp nothing happens:S

It saysno md5 file found...
    Error flashing zip /sdcard/.....
    What to do?

Update , twrp offered me to install SuperSu itself when i tried reboot i done that but how now to check if is my phone rooted?
    I installed a GUI SUperSu and i still dont know is my phone rooted:D
    Anyways tnx gys i appreciate ur help
    scotty85 likes this.
  11. Brian706

Sounds like you may have gotten it! One way to check is to download root checker from the market: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.joeykrim.rootcheck

Install that app and run it. It will tell you whether or not you have root access.

Also, I'm not sure why you need the ruu. That will return you to stock unrooted. You are already stock and adding root....
    scotty85 likes this.
  12. SarcasmS

SarcasmS Member

scotty85 likes this.
  13. SarcasmS

SarcasmS Member

Just for curiosity is there a good 4.1 JB version ROM for our phone? I heard that it will be ported from One S but i dont know is it true.
  14. scotty85

scotty85 Guides Guide

SarcasmS and Brian706 like this.