• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

GnatGoSplat

Aug 29, 2013
I picked up a Kyocera Hydro Elite to play around with. Just FYI, these are GSM unlocked out of the box. I popped in my T-Mobile SIM and it's up and running.

Getting data working is a little tricky because there doesn't appear to be any way in the APN menu to actually add a new APN. Since I wanted it rooted anyway, I rooted it with Motochopper, installed SQLite Editor, and then manually added the APN to the Carriers table in /data/data/com.android.providers.telephony.database/telephony.db.
That did the trick, the new APN shows up in the APN menu, and now I have data.

Reactions: agrafena
Motochopper is very simple. I'm not sure exactly where I got the copy I have, but I was able to find it here:
[ROOT] Root Samsung Galaxy S4 with Motochopper - xda-developers
Instructions would be similar, except for the drivers. I installed the Kyocera drivers from the virtual CD-ROM that mounts when the phone is plugged in. When I ran the TL_bootstrap.exe program, everything installed. Then I just ran Motochopper and it completed without any errors. Be sure USB Debugging is turned on when doing this.

Reactions: agrafena
Upvote 0
I'll give it a try sometime.

Although I have read that in general, Kyocera locks down their bootloaders pretty tight and there is no way to get them unlocked.

I also tried without luck to get an offline update of the latest FW. Mine won't update via OTA for some reason. They were very unhelpful and said they don't have any offline way to update the FW. So if they won't even give you stock FW, it'd definitely be even more difficult to get a BL unlock.

Reactions: bedwa
Upvote 0
I did find the stock recovery partition and dumped it. Verified it is the correct recovery by doing "fastboot boot recovery.img" and also trying to flash it using "fastboot flash recovery recovery.img", both of which worked.

However, I submitted this recovery.img to CWM Recovery Builder and the file it creates is too large, 8308KB I think, while stock recovery partition can only hold 8192KB. So it fails with a "too large" error when I try to flash via fastboot. I think it wouldn't work anyway, if the bootloader is locked. It would prevent executing the unsigned recovery.

Safestrap might be our only option unless somebody smart knows how to disassemble and read the bootloader code.

Upvote 0
Hey just a quick question, I rooted my hydro elite, installed sqlite editor and added Tmobile apn and pressed save. when I go to settings to check apns there is nothing listed and I still dont get data? could you tell me what you entered in the apn fields on sqlite and let me know what I did wrong. Thanks in advance, I came to Android from IOS and its taking awhile to get used to.

Upvote 0
Ok, this should work as I just tried it on my factory reset and rooted phone:

Load telephony.db, click on carriers, and add a new carrier with these settings.
_id = 14
name = T-Mobile US
numeric = 310260
mcc = 310
mnc = 260
apn = epc.tmobile.com
user = none
server = *
password = none
mmsc = http://mms.msg.eng.t-mobile.com/wap/wapenc
authtype = -1
current = 1
protocol = IP
carrier_enabled = 1
bearer = 0

Then press Save.
I also added one for T-Mobile LTE, but I don't think it can work since I don't think this phone supports LTE on T-Mobile.
_id = 15
name = T-Mobile LTE
numeric = 310260
mcc = 310
mnc = 260
apn = fast.t-mobile.com
user = none
server = *
password = ****
mmsc = http://mms.msg.eng.t-mobile.com/wap/wapenc
authtype = -1
type = default,supl,admin,dun,mms
current = 1
protocol = IP
roaming_protocol = IP
carrier_enabled = 1
bearer = 0

Then go back into the Access Point Names in settings and these should be in the list. Click on one to try it. Only the first one works for me and I get an "E" (Edge) connection since I'm not in a refarmed area.

Upvote 0
I Googled Straight Talk apn settings, and it took me to this page:
HOW TO UPDATE DATA SETTINGS
What do you get when you fill out the info it's asking for?
You should be able to use the info I sent to zxtce in post #16 and just change the relevant lines. If that doesn't work, post what Straight Talk sends you for apn settings and I'll take a best guess as to what you need to enter in SQLite.

Reactions: Sleepwalker
Upvote 0
Go to Files tab.
Select data.
Scroll through the list and select data again.
Now scroll and look for com.android.providers.telephony.
Select databases.
Select telephony.db.
Select carriers.
This is where you would add the new APN database entry.

If your /data is completely empty, then that means either your root didn't work, or you didn't grant SQLite root permissions. You normally get a notification when an app is requesting root where you can choose to let it have root or not. You need to be sure to let SQLite have root permissions.

Reactions: Sleepwalker
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones