• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help GSP issue

mirekti

Nov 14, 2010
I was wondering if anybody had the same issue with GPS as I did. When I launched Locations first time, it found the satelite very fast.
Now it almost cannot find a satelite to update my location. I wrote almost, because once it did manage, but that was once in at least twenty tries.

Do you have any idea how to check if the radio is ok?

I read somewhere that one should try with master reset of the phone.
If so, would it be enough to backup my data with Titanium backup and option "Backup all users apps + system data" and restore it later on? Will that make a full restore of my phone or do I have to backup some additoial data? Like, what will happend to my personalize data, apps passwords etc.

Thanks!!

It's odd that your first satellite fix was so fast as the first fix (calibration) usually CAN take anything up to half an hour.

I'd suggest that this first time wasn't a proper fix and you should try it again with Google Maps. Turn GPS (not just wireless location) on, open maps (at this point the satellite icon should start flashing in the notification area) and then hit the button in the top right to find your location. Put the phone on a window sill with clear line of sight to the sky and leave it for up to 30 mins.

Once you achieve this initial fix, it won't take as long next time.

Upvote 0
Hey,

thanks for the response. I managed to use it yesterday and it was quite ok. Anyhow it acts a bit strange.
This morning I downloaded Tricoder, launched it and could see seven satellites within 10 seconds. They all had at least four bars out of eight, but when I started Locations the satellite icon flashed and was not capable to update location.
In case when the icon stops to flash, it update location within a second.

I guess there is something wrong with my Locations app (but Navigation cannot attach as well :)). It's very strange that Tricoder finds satellites immediately, but other apps cannot use them...

Upvote 0
Hey,

thanks for the response. I managed to use it yesterday and it was quite ok. Anyhow it acts a bit strange.
This morning I downloaded Tricoder, launched it and could see seven satellites within 10 seconds. They all had at least four bars out of eight, but when I started Locations the satellite icon flashed and was not capable to update location.
In case when the icon stops to flash, it update location within a second.

I guess there is something wrong with my Locations app (but Navigation cannot attach as well :)). It's very strange that Tricoder finds satellites immediately, but other apps cannot use them...

Hello I have the same issues ...

I try to use Navigation and it says " Checking navigation availability" and then nothing happens. Any ideas?

Thanks

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones