• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help GT-i5800 dosent navigate offline with Google maps 5.0

i think there is an option in application management to 'pre-fetch' tiles. i think this might be what you mean. maps 5.0 doesn't work off line in the traditional sense but can pre-fetch and store offline data in a cache so that when you make your journey you don't need to be on line.

can anybody confirm this?

Upvote 0
it's in the app itself, so my mistake. but whilst in the app itself click on settings>>more>>cache settings there is a 'pre-fetch' even when not on wi-fi option. and also a clear cache. my cache is currently just over 1mb so i'm guessing that is the last journey i did.

i think if you click that and configure your journey, even if you are not on wi-fi it will start to pre-fetch and cache your journey so that if you loose network coverage during your journey, you will be safe.

obviously this is a different concept to traditional sat nav where the maps are pre-loaded, so for instance if you lost network coverage and wanted to program a new route once you'd reached your initial destination then you'd be stuck!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones