• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Gtablet out of the box (not rooted) mini-review.

xmr405o

Android Expert
Dec 7, 2009
If you haven't heard already, Viewsonic has listened to the outcry of the G-tablet community and have updated their stock UI with more of a traditional Android look. I've been running a custom ROM since I got my g-tablet but I got curious as to how the average consumer will see the g-tablet once the firmware was updated.

Here's a quick run through. I only had the stock UI running for 30 minutes because I missed my Vegan ROM. :(

I think it is much improved from the first firmware release. The original Tap N Tap UI isn't the default UI, it's been replaced with a more familiar Android Launcher and look. It's pretty responsive and I think it should have a positive impact to the Gtablet. Flash is still not pre-installed but you can download it from the Viewsonic G-tablet website. You don't have to search around for it too much.

Flash with the default browser is great. I had no issues running flash sites. But my Vegan ROM is way faster loading but the average consumer probably won't notice it.

Market and the other google apps are non-existent. I didn't even try to load it even though I had the apks.

Well that's all I really noticed. Like I said, I only had the Stock firmware for 30 minutes.

This is a good sign and I'm happy that Viewsonic listens to their consumers.

Edit: FYI- The original Tap and Tap software is still there so if you like it, you still have the option to use it.

Cool! Is this upgrade the one that they now claim to be delivering on or about December 24th?

Meet the ViewSonic G Tablet - Support

I think so but maybe not. It's firmware 3338. That's been available since the beginning of the week. Reading the Viewsonic page, they expect all the tablets to have the update by Friday. I got mine from XDA.

Upvote 0
Apparently the Stock update I had was not official however the official Firmware update dropped today. Firmware 3339. I will not be installing it but from what I heard, it's a really good update. Makes the stock Gtablet much better for consumers.

The official update that just hit my gTab is firmware version 1.1-3389.

So far it's looking pretty good! :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones