1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Gtalk on Android and on PC's Gmail simultaneously

Last Updated:

1. galapogos

galapogos Active Member This Topic's Starter

Hi,

I have a CLIQ that has gtalk always running, and sometimes I'm also on a PC with gtalk running on gmail. How can I control which device I'm chatting on? I notice that sometimes when I leave my PC and go for lunch or something and someone sends me a gtalk message, I don't get it on my phone. Only after checking my chat history in gmail do I see it. This sometimes happens even after I shut down my PC if the user sends a message right after I do so.

Advertisement
  2. icstars989

icstars989 Well-Known Member

I notice from time to time as well that I get one or the other. The way I do it is, if I'm on my pc, I'll send from it, if I'm leaving for lunch, I'll send from my phone for my last message so I'm sure when that reply comes, it'll hit me on the hip and not my desktop when I'm not there. You could also just sign off one or the other.

3. galapogos

galapogos Active Member This Topic's Starter

I sometimes do that too.

I've noticed that igoogle sends messages to all outlets. So I get messages on my Android phone, gtalk, and even Miranda when my friends gtalk me via igoogle, and vice versa. I think ebuddy does the same thing too.

4. fireshaper

fireshaper Well-Known Member

You will receive the next message on whatever you last replied on.

5. jfrorie

jfrorie Active Member

The jabber protocol (Gtalk) allows you to keep several clients open at the same time. When someone contacts you, jabber broadcasts the message to all eligible clients simultaneously. Whichever client responds will be the sole recipient of all future messages. Once the chat is idle, the clients are reset and the process starts over again, with the next incoming message broadcasted to all eligible clients.

IOWA likes this.
  6. IOWA

IOWA Mr. Logic Pants Moderator

I posted your answer on my faq, and credit pointed at you. Thanks.
    Check out my faq link in my sig.