1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Gtalk: The forgotten app?

Last Updated:

1. Mostly Harmless

Mostly Harmless Well-Known Member Contributor This Topic's Starter

I never really gave Gtalk much attention in the 7 months I have owned my phone. But lately, specially since a lot of my friends are getting android powered phones, I have grown to really liking it. I actually like using it over text messages. I think that if I can get the majority of my friends to use it I might be able to lower my text message plan. Also since I get terrible reception in my apartment I find that having people contact me through Gtalk works out a lot better since I am on wifi at home.

I would like to see a widget come out for it (which is the big advantage of text messages over it), and I hope google develops it more. I would also like to see maybe video chat integration since Gingerbread is suppose to have built in support for it.

Anyone else using Gtalk on a regular basis? I can see it as a Blackberry Messenger for google.

Advertisement
  2. Bang Bang Boom

Bang Bang Boom Well-Known Member

I see it the other day to message the misses and it was a lot quicker at coming through than a txt...

3. w_bovine

w_bovine Well-Known Member

You'd think Google would put a bit more into GTalk, what with IM being such a big thing these days (think of all the 3rd party apps that consolidate various services). Perhaps texting has become more popular overall?

I know once thing I don't like about the desktop version is that it won't do offline messages. Is it the same on Android? I've not used it too much since I got my Vibrant.

4. Tangent

Tangent Well-Known Member

My wife and I use GTalk exclusively; we don't even have any texting on our plans.

5. Mostly Harmless

I think you still have the same issue. The thing is you just need to get that person to sign it and it keeps you active as long as your phone is powered on (I think you can change it in the preferences. I couldn't agree with you more about google putting a bit more into it. It took my 7 months to open it and use it and now I am journey to get my friends to switch over to it. It's really easy to hold group conversations and stuff like that. I would just love to see a widget for it.

6. nik3t

nik3t Member

Love Gtalk. There were some problems with Rogers to Bell texting here in Canada a while back so my buddy and I used Gtalk (He has BBM). Wish they would do updates for it like they do maps, youtube, etc.

7. RyanB

RyanB Guest

I didn't give Gtalk much thought at first, but now I use it to suppliment my texting, be it my wife from her PC at work, or my friends that have Android phones but aren't on Verizon. It's quite handy.

8. Colchicine

Colchicine Well-Known Member

How do you resolve your phone going off every time someone sends you chat through the gmail web interface? I spend a lot of time at a computer with gmail open, and when I did have Talk on I didn't like my phone duplicating everything that I already had on the computer.

9. gallandof

gallandof Well-Known Member

is gtalk on the market? i cant find it on my phone im thinking I may have deleted it lol

10. Mostly Harmless

It's under "Talk" just incase you are looking for an app called "Gtalk" on your phone. I don't think it's in the market.

11. brownhornet

brownhornet Well-Known Member

I have almost 70 gtalk contacts... I use mine quite a bit.

12. dredg

dredg Member

I use GTalk exclusively.

I've been a gmail user since beta, and have been using the talk feature since its inception. So, naturally I use the app as much as possible. I use it and it only. Have almost all my contacts included, and since Android has exploded these past 2 years, people are slowly trickling over and have started using it.

I recently had a friend with a Nokia dumb phone who was a text o'holic. My wife and I at the time had the minimum amount of texts on our plan per month. My friend texted so much we would occasionally get close to our limit. I badgered, hassled, and nagged enough over the course of a year to stop texting me, that he finally went out an bought an EVO. Now we really don't talk all that much anymore since he moved out of state :p But hey, he's better off for it afaic. :)

13. DroidIsMyFirstCell

DroidIsMyFirstCell Active Member

Check out eBuddy... good hybrid chat program that will let you do Talk and so much more :)