[Guide] A little guide to Galaxy S to latop via DLNA

Last Updated:

1. snapper.fishes

snapper.fishes Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

[Guide] A little guide to Galaxy S to latop via DLNA

Updated 08/17/2010

A Little Guide to The Galaxy S DLNA

Note: This is not meant to be a comprehensive guide, but rather a starter's guide to get you on your feet. If you want to add more contents to this thread, feel free to do so. If you want to post this guide somewhere else, also feel free to do so, but do give credit where it is due.

Wikipedia's definition of DLNA: The Digital Living Network Alliance (DLNA) is a non-profit collaborative trade organization comprised of more than 250 member companies[3] in the mobile, consumer electronics, PC, and service provider industries. Alliance members have stated the common goal of using standards-based technology to make it easier for consumers to use, share and enjoy their digital photos, music and videos.

What this mean is that DLNA allows you to stream videos, pictures and music across multiple platforms without the need to actually transfer the file itself. Streaming between hardwares that comes with the DLNA label is easy. However, if you do not have a wifi capable TV, the next best option would be to stream to a computer screen instead. And here is what you need:

A Galaxy S (or a Captivate for our dear U.S. buddies)
    A wifi capable computer - which can be a laptop or a computer connected to a wifi router.
    Windows Media player 12 (Windows 7 only) or XBMC.
    PC Share Manager is no longer necessary for streaming to Galaxy S. Hurray
    Samsung PC Share Manager. Download HERE. Click on Software.

Streaming to computer

Step 1 :

Connect both computer and Galaxy S to the same wifi network router. If you are using a Desktop, plug it into a wireless router, and then connect the Galaxy S to the router. If you are using a laptop, either connect wirelessly to the router or plug it in, and do the same for the Galaxy S. (Windows 7 Only You can also connect the Galaxy S to your laptop directly using Connectify. In practice, this works the best for streaming large videoes. )

Step 2 :

Launch DLNA on your Galaxy S. Wait for it to finish loading. (when the spinning circles stop.)

Step 3 :

Launch Windows Media Player 12. Go to library. You should see Galaxy S under "Other Libraries". Choose whatever you want to stream from your phone, and it should work.

Alternative:
    Launch XBMC. Now this is a little more tricky. You will have to add the folders yourself. E.g. Go to video -> add source -> Browse -> UPnP Devices -> Galaxy S. Here you see 3 folders with messed up names. You will have to figure out which is which by trial and error. On my laptop, the first one is picture, the second is video and the 3rd is music. Yours might be different. Once you have added the folders in, you can play them normally.

Streaming to Galaxy S

Step 1:

Unfortunately, neither WMP nor XBMC supports this. Instead, you will have to use Samsung PC Share Manager, which you can download above. Download and install it.

UPDATE:
    c2k from AndroidForums and ssj4Gogeta1 from xdaDevelopers found a way to browse media files through WMP 12. Thank you guys.

Step 2 :

Launch Samsung PC Share Manager. Use the left panel to select the folders you want to share, then press the icon with a

Advertisement
    mad_max likes this.
  2. CaCHooKa Man

CaCHooKa Man Well-Known Member

ive never gotten allshare to work at home. ive tried it on a friends ps3 and it worked fine. the phone isnt even detected when im connected to wifi.

3. c2k

c2k Well-Known Member

You have to enable streaming on WMP and make sure your libraries have all the media you want to be able to see. Had the same problems until I did some checking around. Oh and btw, you can use allshare to stream pretty much any video from your computer to your phone. Easy as pie

I played with it for like an hour, and enabled streaming and still had lots of issues. after awhile it just started working... so its kind of picky

snapper.fishes likes this.
  4. CaCHooKa Man

CaCHooKa Man Well-Known Member

^everything on my laptop is enabled. it works fine with orb, my xbox 360 and another laptop on the same network. the captivates the only one that doesnt work.

5. c2k

c2k Well-Known Member

Thats definitely odd... Im not sure what I did, honestly. I finally got my phone to even see my computer, then it wouldnt play any files. Then after playing with it for another hour everything just started magically working. How far can you get with this? I mean, can your phone see your computer but no files?

6. CLRana9017

CLRana9017 Active Member

To stream to a phone, I would just use Vuze. Best thing out there and no complications. Make sure UPNP is enabled on your router!

7. Richsm

Richsm New Member

I just cannot get anything to work for me at all & I'm getting really frustrated with this. I have Windows Home Server & a Samsung Galaxy S but I just cannot see anything on my server at all. I keep on thinking " well the server is in a workgroup & the phone isn't so there is no way it'll see it" can anybody please please help it's driving me nuts.
    :(:confused::confused:

8. Mnemic

Mnemic Member

I've got DLNA working on my phone to my Windows PC at work (windows 7), and XBMC at Home running on Windows 7 And Ubuntu Linux.
    I've also Had it work on my friends Samsung TV that has DLNA built in.

Windows Media Player was IMO the most un-intuitive setup for getting DLNA working on it.

I loosely Followed this Guide to get it working the first time round
    Media Streaming with Windows 7 - Engineering Windows 7 - Site Home - MSDN Blogs

At least that managed to get windows media player setup to work right.

If you are on Windows XP, or Linux, or Even Windows 7, Setting up DLNA Streaming (uPnP Sharing) on XBMC was easier then Windows 7. Streaming to a Samsung TV was the easiest overall.

Enable this Checkbox in XBMC, restart XBMC, and your phone should find it.
    UPnP Sharing - XBMC

9. tasmanian

tasmanian Member

My computer is set up to stream to my ps3. I opened allshare and my phone instantly detected my pc and streamed off it perfectly. My comp is windows 7, and I think yours has to be as well to stream off allshare.