Guide : Access your Computer from anywhere

Last Updated:

1. SJamG

SJamG Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Jun 25, 2009

I thought I would share some info on how to access files on your Mac/PC at home on your Desire. I use it for getting MP3's that I have not copied to the phone or getting documents when not on my home WiFi.

On a Mac :

1. Download the EStrong File Explorer from the market

2. On your Mac, go to Settings --> Sharing --> File Sharing

3. Choose the folders you want to share, take care to specify the right access on the folders. Use the + icon to add users and then specify access level.

4. Click the Options button and select the "Share files and folders using SMB"

5. Login to your router (I have a Netgear) and create a New Service. Call it SMB and assign TCP port 445 to it.

6. Add this service to your Inbound Firewall Rules, point it to your Internal IP address (best to have this static) for the Mac you have setup the sharing on. Restrict to a schedule if you like.

7. Go back to the home page of the router and note down the Router's External IP address. This is not the 192.168.#.#, this will be more obscure numbers, like (<-- Example only)

8. On the Desire, Go to the LAN tab, or select LAN from the drop down top right of the screen.

9. Menu --> New :

Server : {Insert your Router's external IP address)
    Username : {Insert your Username, setup at time of sharing files}
    Password : {Insert the User accounts pasword}
    Display as : I put 'Home', but you can put anything here.

Press 'OK'.

10. You should have 'Home' listed under the LAN shares. If you press it, it will connect an show you all the folders you have available under the user account you specified.

On a Windows PC (I have an XP machine) :

Replace steps 2, 3 & 4 above with the following :

2. Create a normal windows file share by right-clicking the folder and click 'Sharing' tab.

3. Put something meaningful in the 'Share Name' and click the 'Permissions' button'

4. Add a user account to the permissions list and specify the access level. Click OK and Click OK again to exit from the folder properties. You should now see a hand under the folder you have just shared.

Important Notes :

- Make sure you have an unlimited Data plan or are on WiFi

- When testing, disconnect your phone from your WiFi, to make sure you can connect to your network over 3g/HSDPA

Hope this interests some people - I thought it would. If I have any part of the 'Windows' section incorrect , please let me know.

2. junkiepilot

junkiepilot Well-Known Member

May 14, 2010
    Good guide, but you could just use Home Pipe.
  3. SJamG

SJamG Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Jun 25, 2009
    LOL! Believe it or not, I just realised that after writing it - BOO! :eek:

Anyway, its the DIY/Techy guide to a HomePipe alternative ;)
    Ronin47 likes this.