1. Welcome to the newer, better version of Android Forums! Be sure to see the announcement and enjoy checking it out!

Some of you have been having login issues. - Please try now. Sorry for the trouble!
  2. All attachments uploaded on the first day of this new look need to be re-uploaded, or will appear broken. All prior to that, and all going forward, should work fine. We apologize for the inconvenience!

[GUIDE] Carrier Name Change

1. Sleepingsirens

Sleepingsirens Well-Known Member

Follow this link and use method 1 to change the carrier name on any rom you are currently running.

[NOTE] It is specified for the optimus V but it does work for the evo 3D

Here are instructions however from that site on how to change the carrier name:

Method one: Only allows 17 characters

1) Put the ROM.zip file you used to flash your current ROM on your computer

2) Right click and choose Open Archive (I suggest using 7-zip)

3) Navigate to /system/framework and drag the framework-res.apk file to your desktop

4) Right click the framework-res.apk file and select Open Archive (again, I suggest using 7-zip)

5) Navigate to /res/xml and drag the eri.xml file to your desktop

6) Open the eri.xml file with a hex editor like HxD

7) Press ctrl+f and type Virgin Mobile

8) Highlight the words Virgin Mobile (they appear selected, but highlight them with your mouse)

9) Type what you want, keep it to the same number of characters or less, then type spaces till the rest of Virgin Mobile is gone

10) Save and close the hex editor

11) Drag the eri.xml file back into the framework-res.apk, choose yes to copy, then close the window

12) In the opened ROM archive, navigate to /system/framework and drag your framework-res.apk file into it, then choose yes to copy, and close the window

13) Place the ROM.zip on your sdcard

14) Reboot into recovery, wipe cache, wipe dalvik cache, then install the ROM.zip file as normal

15) Reboot and you should see your customized carrier name on the lock screen and notification dropdown.

[EDIT] Experimental with GSM version of evo 3D, USE AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Advertisement
    scotty85 likes this.
  2. scotty85

scotty85 Guides Guide

Just a heads up... This may not work the same on gsm,since the sim card determines the network,and thus,the name displayed.so the carrier name may not be baked into the Rom.

If I get a chance ill try and follow that guide and see what happens :)
    Sleepingsirens likes this.
  3. Sleepingsirens

Sleepingsirens Well-Known Member

Thanks man, just thought i'd put it up to help
  4. scotty85

scotty85 Guides Guide

It is appreciated. :cool: it may work,we will see if we can find out!
    Sleepingsirens likes this.