• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [International] [guide] Changing DPI by editing build.prop

funkylogik

share the love peeps ;)
Sep 15, 2011
Paisley, Scotland, Western Europe
A couple of peeps were asking about this so thought I'd write a guide.
The s3 default DPI is 320 but some roms have it at 280 which is far too small for me. I have bad eyes so use 340.
There are apps like this https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.texdroider.texdroider_dpi which work on some roms but not others so try that first.
Editing build.prop is good experience anyway.
ES File Explorer is my file manager of choice so install that.
Open it and hit the icon at top left to get this uploadfromtaptalk1401127296600.jpg
Turn on root explorer then tap the word "root explorer", tap "mount r/w and you'll get this uploadfromtaptalk1401127560906.jpg
Set them both to RW.

Now in the root directory of the phone, find the System folder (/system) and open it uploadfromtaptalk1401127676222.jpg tap the build.prop folder and choose ES File Editor and you'll see thisuploadfromtaptalk1401128051537.jpg
Tap the 3dot menu button at the top and select edit.
Now scroll down the script until you find ro.sf.lcd_density= and then a number.
Just delete only the number and replace it with what you want. Don't go too mad or play store will think you're using an old atari lol. I know from 230 to 360 works fine on the s3.
Then just hit "back" or the icon at top left and it will ask you to save.
Reboot for the change to take place.
Hope that wasn't gobbledygook lol its my 1st guide.
In the next post I'll show another cool buildprop trick.

Disclaimer :I don't make a backup before doing this stuff but don't blame me if you don't and it goes breasts up lol.
I actually think ES creates a backup of the original buildprop file automatically tbh :thumbup:

PS the above pics are from my nexus7 so your script will look slightly different :thumbup:

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1401127719694.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1401127719694.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 965
Hey this works for the Motorola I did everything was afraid it was going to mess with the play store .:eek: o yes I been in that boat before couldn't get a download for the play store but this works and hey the updates in my play store works better . now with the marker felt fonts hey this thing rocks thanks funky your the man :thumbup::eek::D:thumbup::thumbup:

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0
No problem buddy. If you use Xposed Framework there's module called playstore fix or something that fools Play into thinking you're at default DPI if you ever do get problems :thumbup:
Did you increase or decrease yours mate?
Some people like it low so it looks like a tablet but I don't have the eyes for that lol :eek:

Upvote 0
Sorry thats the new york slang or street slang . and this dumb auto correct. Also keep in mind it may correct and I Dont get to read til someone say hey what is that and I will be looking like this :eek::D. But chicken scratch is a slang for small writing that you can't see nor make out most of the words but some or many letters that you can sort of make out .

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones