• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [GUIDE][CTmod] Rooting the Prevail [SPH-M820] for Dummies (written by a dummy)

Is there an easy way to get the default ring tones back? Thanks.

First, welcome to the forums. Second, are you referring to the ringtones from the stock rom?

EDIT: Download the attachment. I used ODIN and the rooted stock EJ06 to get this.

Open a command prompt or terminal (depending on your OS) and navigate to wherever adb is located.
Script:
adb reboot recovery
In CWM, go under mounts and storage and mount system
Extract the zip to your home folder
Script:
adb push ./audio /system/media/audio
Reboot.

OR

Extract the zip to your sd card and use a program such as root explorer and copy the folder to /system/media

Attachments

• audio.zip
    740.7 KB · Views: 86
Reactions: bsworby
Upvote 0
How can I fix issue? I installed everything above, had problems with bluetooth connection (use xlink for home phone and it wasn't sending ring to it and cell phone wasn't ringing when it was paired) - redid phone with stock and tried to download apps from market, kept getting error message saying I had no room (there was nothing on it at this point, shouldn't have been getting error message). Rebooted a couple of times, no help. Decided to reinstall root and cwm and latest ctmod. I could install apps from market at this point, but still concerned that phone itself has no room, only sd card with partition.

Speaking of sd card with partition - i have some minor issues with that. The settings in koumamod were preset to ssm when i installed. I didn't change it to data before partitioning sd card the first time. I went back and changed it to data. Could this have caused some of the problems i encountered?

And finally, I would like to increase network connection speed and couldn't find hiddenmenu.apk in root directory. Is this something I can install with current configuration? And if so, where can I find this apk?

Many, many thanks!!!!

Oh, almost forgot, I flashed both my and my husbands phones with above and the only issue he is having is that it consistently doesn't have accurate time on phone. Any ideas how to fix?

Upvote 0
How can I fix issue? I installed everything above, had problems with bluetooth connection (use xlink for home phone and it wasn't sending ring to it and cell phone wasn't ringing when it was paired) - redid phone with stock and tried to download apps from market, kept getting error message saying I had no room (there was nothing on it at this point, shouldn't have been getting error message). Rebooted a couple of times, no help. Decided to reinstall root and cwm and latest ctmod. I could install apps from market at this point, but still concerned that phone itself has no room, only sd card with partition.

Speaking of sd card with partition - i have some minor issues with that. The settings in koumamod were preset to ssm when i installed. I didn't change it to data before partitioning sd card the first time. I went back and changed it to data. Could this have caused some of the problems i encountered?

And finally, I would like to increase network connection speed and couldn't find hiddenmenu.apk in root directory. Is this something I can install with current configuration? And if so, where can I find this apk?

Many, many thanks!!!!

Oh, almost forgot, I flashed both my and my husbands phones with above and the only issue he is having is that it consistently doesn't have accurate time on phone. Any ideas how to fix?
did you partition card right? (in cwm or for the ssm??) need to partition first, and when switch to data need to reboot and then reconfigure home page and settings. also there is no hidden menu in above 2.5. for the time after reboot give it about a min or so before doing anything to adjust to time.

Reactions: Chris T
Upvote 0
First, welcome to the forums. Second, are you referring to the ringtones from the stock rom?

EDIT: Download the attachment. I used ODIN and the rooted stock EJ06 to get this.

Open a command prompt or terminal (depending on your OS) and navigate to wherever adb is located.
Script:
adb reboot recovery
In CWM, go under mounts and storage and mount system
Extract the zip to your home folder
Script:
adb push ./audio /system/media/audio
Reboot.

OR

Extract the zip to your sd card and use a program such as root explorer and copy the folder to /system/media

You can also extract the ringtones and just put then in a folder on your sd card and label it "ringtones". The phone will pick then up and you will be able to choose them when you go to set a ringtone. ;)

Upvote 0
did you partition card right? (in cwm or for the ssm??) need to partition first, and when switch to data need to reboot and then reconfigure home page and settings. also there is no hidden menu in above 2.5. for the time after reboot give it about a min or so before doing anything to adjust to time.

Yes. I followed directions exactly as in this thread http://androidforums.com/galaxy-prevail-all-things-root/ for both phones. His phone works great. Mine won't give me extra space in phone memory. btw, reinstalled root and found hiddenmenu :p.... But still having low storage space in phone, even after formating sd card and repartitioning.... At this point, it's probably one of those things I need to step away from for a while, but just can't give up until it's fixed......

Upvote 0
Yes. I followed directions exactly as in this thread Galaxy Prevail - All Things Root - Android Forums for both phones. His phone works great. Mine won't give me extra space in phone memory. btw, reinstalled root and found hiddenmenu :p.... But still having low storage space in phone, even after formating sd card and repartitioning.... At this point, it's probably one of those things I need to step away from for a while, but just can't give up until it's fixed......
what are you running again for a mod(ctmod3.6??) and are you running the data mode or ssm??

Upvote 0
what are you running again for a mod(ctmod3.6??) and are you running the data mode or ssm??

I was running Ctmod 3.6 and KK2.5. formatted sd card reinstalled everything twice and still had same problem.

Reformatted everything and just put root FA19 back on and it at least has finally let me download something. Currentlly not running any mods or kernals until I can figure out what happened and how to fix it.

forgot to add, first time i think i hadn't changed it from ssm to data before partitioning to sd/ext because i didn't know it was defaulted to that. 2nd time i changed it to data first. Neither way seemed to have made a difference.,

Actually, if I could just get my speeds faster and have more storage, I'd be happy with it. I did change my prl and it helped some, but still need to figure out how to tweak it. Seriously starting to feel my age messing with this.

Upvote 0
I was running Ctmod 3.6 and KK2.5. formatted sd card reinstalled everything twice and still had same problem.

Reformatted everything and just put root FA19 back on and it at least has finally let me download something. Currentlly not running any mods or kernals until I can figure out what happened and how to fix it.

forgot to add, first time i think i hadn't changed it from ssm to data before partitioning to sd/ext because i didn't know it was defaulted to that. 2nd time i changed it to data first. Neither way seemed to have made a difference.,

Actually, if I could just get my speeds faster and have more storage, I'd be happy with it. I did change my prl and it helped some, but still need to figure out how to tweak it. Seriously starting to feel my age messing with this.
if you install 3.6 then go to ct mod settings, then koumakernal settings, then click data then back out and reboot. then install apps, using advanced restore in cwm from previous backup, or just relaod from store and should be good. or use this to setup ssm
READ ALL OF THIS FIRST !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There may be an easier way but I KNOW THIS WAY WORKS ! :-D

Save all data on your sd card to your computer because your card is gonna get wiped . :)

Install CTMod 3.4 . After install , go in to CWM . Go to advanced and clear the Dalvik cache then
reboot in to recovery and do a factory wipe then REBOOT .

Go back in to CWM , go to advanced and partition your card . 1024 mb then 0 swap . Reboot

After that

Put your phone in CWM mode , plug it in to computer .

You are gonna need to have Kouma's Odin Packer .
Unzip it and place in a folder on your desktop . It contains a GingerBread folder inside it .

You will then need to open the Gingerbread folder from the folder you just unzipped .

Do not click on anything in the folder
Just move your mouse pointer to an open area in the Gingerbread folder window .

Hold the down the SHIFT key on your keyboard and RIGHT CLICK YOUR MOUSE .
A menu will appear , select OPEN COMMAND WINDOW HERE . A command widow will appear , type adb shell and hit ENTER

a # sign will appear Type sdparted -i then hit ENTER

You should now be in the phone ,ready to wipe and partition your card .

You will then go through the motions of wiping your sd card . Just follow the prompts and wipe the card .

You will then be asked to choose a size for your new partitions . Enter mb's when asked for sizes 2 gigs =2048mb 1 gig = 1024mb
( if you have a large card , choose 2048 for the first two partition sizes that it will ask for )
( if you have a smaller card , use a lesser size . 1024 or 512 ).

When it is done performing the actions, copy and paste the commands below to the ADB window and hit ENTER .

MAKE SURE TO LET THE ACTIONS COMPLETE BEFORE ENTERING A NEW COMMAND . YOU WILL SEE THE #
SIGN WHEN IT COMPLETES EACH COMMAND .

After reboot , go back in to CWM , go in to ADVANCED and CLEAR THE DALVIK CACHE .

You're DONE !!! You should now be able to go in to the menu/settings/Storage .... Under available space, you should have over 150mb free.

Here are Kouma's directions . NOTE ! Do not select anything for EXT PARTITION TYPE or FAT PARTITION SIZE . Just hit ENTER .
ONLY PARTITION SWAP AND EXT .

1) Boot into Recovery
2) ADB shell into the phone
3) Run "sdparted -i"
4) Pick a size for a swap partition (CWM doesn't let you make them big)
5) Pick a size for your EXT partition. Let the fat partiton have the rest.
6) When sdparted completes, manually convert the swap partion to ext4 by performing the following:
Code:
mkfs.ext2 /dev/block/mmcblk0p3
e2fsck -p /dev/block/mmcblk0p3
tune2fs -c0 -i0 -j /dev/block/mmcblk0p3
tune2fs -O extents,uninit_bg,dir_index /dev/block/mmcblk0p3
e2
fsck -fpDC0 /dev/block/mmcblk0p3
then when donewith this load apps . this works for 3.6 and koumakernal. there are other ways but this works. now if gonna run data mode then just partition card in cwm. any more ?' just ask or pm me.

Reactions: Chris T
Upvote 0
Thanks for a great, detailed post! And thanks in advance for any advice concerning my issue. I'm having a minor issue with the USB drivers, it seems.

I installed "SAMSUNG_USB_Driver_for_Mobile_Phones_x86.rar", and the phone mounts and works fine in USB storage mode, however, when I open the Odin downloader there is nothing in the "Com Port Mapping" field.

Of course, I safely remove and unplug the phone before running Odin, and get the phone to the yellow "downloading" screen before plugging in.

When I look in Device Manager, I see the phone on USB, but it says something like "error device failed to start".

I'm a Mac user, and not used to working on PCs, and am doing this for a friend. I feel like I must be missing something stupid or obvious. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!!!!

Upvote 0
here is an easier and updated way to do this

This TUT was made for KK 2.0 but can be used for all KK's .
This TUT will explain how to partition your card so that the SSM feature will work .

READ ALL OF THIS FIRST !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There may be an easier way but I KNOW THIS WAY WORKS ! :-D

Save all data on your sd card to your computer because your card is gonna get wiped . :)

Install CTMod . After install , go in to CWM . Go to advanced and clear the Dalvik cache then
reboot in to recovery and do a factory wipe then REBOOT .

Go back in to CWM , go to advanced and partition your card . 1024 mb then 0 swap . Reboot

After that

Put your phone in CWM mode , plug it in to computer .

You are gonna need to have Kouma's Odin Packer .
Unzip it and place in a folder on your desktop . It contains a GingerBread folder inside it .

You will then need to open the Gingerbread folder from the folder you just unzipped .

Do not click on anything in the folder
Just move your mouse pointer to an open area in the Gingerbread folder window .

Hold the down the SHIFT key on your keyboard and RIGHT CLICK YOUR MOUSE .
A menu will appear , select OPEN COMMAND WINDOW HERE . A command widow will appear , type adb shell and hit ENTER

a # sign will appear Type sdparted -i then hit ENTER

You should now be in the phone ,ready to wipe and partition your card .

You will then go through the motions of wiping your sd card . Just follow the prompts and wipe the card .

You will then be asked to choose a size for your new partitions . Enter mb's when asked for sizes 2 gigs =2048mb 1 gig = 1024mb
( if you have a large card , choose 2048 for the first two partition sizes that it will ask for )
( if you have a smaller card , use a lesser size . 1024 or 512 ).

After reboot , go back in to CWM , go in to ADVANCED and CLEAR THE DALVIK CACHE .

You're DONE !!! You should now be able to go in to the menu/settings/Storage .... Under available space, you should have over 150mb free.

Here are Kouma's directions . NOTE ! Do not select anything for EXT PARTITION TYPE or FAT PARTITION SIZE . Just hit ENTER .
ONLY PARTITION SWAP AND EXT .

1) Boot into Recovery
2) ADB shell into the phone
3) Run "sdparted -i"
4) Pick a size for a swap partition (CWM doesn't let you make them big)
5) Pick a size for your EXT partition. Let the fat partiton have the rest.
6) When sdparted completes, manually convert the swap partion to ext4 by performing the following:
put this (ssm wipe delvik/swap toext4 formatter) on sd card and flash in cwm

View attachment kouma packer.zip

View attachment 32726

i put the attachments in again they didn't look clear on my end here.

Upvote 0
you used odin and then did you install a rom, and do you have clockwork mod installed from odin with the root???
you can try going in and wipeing the data and then try again, or might just have to redo with odin again. now that you have done it once, it's not really that hard. you can also use odin over and over again.

Upvote 0
I need some help here in the worse way. My laptop HDD crashed (5th one this Toshiba has gone through in 3 yrs) and I can't Odin back anytime real soon, but anyway, I followed the "rooting prevail for dummies" guide, installed CTmod 3.5 Android KKmod 2.5, used Voltage Control (130/946) and it was just starting to smooth out (Google Chrome was slooowwww) then out of nowhere (more than 12hrs later) absolutely everything started stopping and force closing and signal died. Its got back to phone and msg working with poor signal now but lagging a lot. Afraid to do anything else. What might be the issue here and how can I fix this? (P.S. I'm a noob at this so be gental. Lol) . Thx-n-adv!

Upvote 0
I need some help here in the worse way. My laptop HDD crashed (5th one this Toshiba has gone through in 3 yrs) and I can't Odin back anytime real soon, but anyway, I followed the "rooting prevail for dummies" guide, installed CTmod 3.5 Android KKmod 2.5, used Voltage Control (130/946) and it was just starting to smooth out (Google Chrome was slooowwww) then out of nowhere (more than 12hrs later) absolutely everything started stopping and force closing and signal died. Its got back to phone and msg working with poor signal now but lagging a lot. Afraid to do anything else. What might be the issue here and how can I fix this? (P.S. I'm a noob at this so be gental. Lol) . Thx-n-adv!
do you have a previous backup that you can flash back to?? also if have ctmod on sd maybe reflash and then install apps from advanced restore sd-ext from an older backup. now could be something you have done to cause this.also just try to reboot phone that might help too. none of these you need cp or odin for if you have info on sd card. woth a shot. start with the reboot first.

Upvote 0
Thanks for a great, detailed post! And thanks in advance for any advice concerning my issue. I'm having a minor issue with the USB drivers, it seems.

I installed "SAMSUNG_USB_Driver_for_Mobile_Phones_x86.rar", and the phone mounts and works fine in USB storage mode, however, when I open the Odin downloader there is nothing in the "Com Port Mapping" field.

Of course, I safely remove and unplug the phone before running Odin, and get the phone to the yellow "downloading" screen before plugging in.

When I look in Device Manager, I see the phone on USB, but it says something like "error device failed to start".

I'm a Mac user, and not used to working on PCs, and am doing this for a friend. I feel like I must be missing something stupid or obvious. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!!!!

I think you need to have the phone plugged in and connected BEFORE you run odin. I usually let it sit for a minute before i start odin just to make sure its all connected

I followed the instructions....successfully rooted. But cant make outgoing phone calls
android.phone stops working unexpectedly.... please help

Like cwhatever said, just try reodining it. Make sure you aren't restoring any system settings from titanium backup or similar programs. if that doesn't help, try to tell us more info about what you did

I followed the "rooting prevail for dummies" guide, installed CTmod 3.5 Android KKmod 2.5, used Voltage Control (130/946) and it was just starting to smooth out (Google Chrome was slooowwww) then out of nowhere (more than 12hrs later) absolutely everything started stopping and force closing and signal died. Its got back to phone and msg working with poor signal now but lagging a lot.

First things first, time to try one of those many backups I told you to make :) When it comes to overclocking its better to start at stock and work your way up notch by notch. you may have OC'd it too much. Also try updating to CTmod 3.6, it had some bugfixes related to stability

Cwhatever, thanks a ton for watching over the thread, I really appreciate it. As Master Dummy, I hereby promote you to Second-in-Command and bestow upon you all the rights and privileges befitting your rank (AKA nothing). Grats!

Reactions: cwhatever
Upvote 0
I think you need to have the phone plugged in and connected BEFORE you run odin. I usually let it sit for a minute before i start odin just to make sure its all connected

Like cwhatever said, just try reodining it. Make sure you aren't restoring any system settings from titanium backup or similar programs. if that doesn't help, try to tell us more info about what you did

First things first, time to try one of those many backups I told you to make :) When it comes to overclocking its better to start at stock and work your way up notch by notch. you may have OC'd it too much. Also try updating to CTmod 3.6, it had some bugfixes related to stability

Cwhatever, thanks a ton for watching over the thread, I really appreciate it. As Master Dummy, I hereby promote you to Second-in-Command and bestow upon you all the rights and privileges befitting your rank (AKA nothing). Grats!
thanks and no problem like to help people when i can.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones