Guide for Removing Nascar, Stocks, etc....

Last Updated:

1. bl4ck0ps

bl4ck0ps Member This Topic's Starter

My phone is amazingly better after removing all of the Sprint Bloat-ware...the only thing I kept was Navigation.

Guide found here.

Enjoy! :)

Advertisement
  2. meangreengdub

meangreengdub Well-Known Member

This seems complicated. I didn't follow that at all.

3. noonanjs

noonanjs Active Member

There has got to be an easier way to do this I think I will wait until someone releases a file that unload that shit and allows me to see what I am getting rid of

4. bl4ck0ps

It's not as difficult as it looks, as long as you understand how to get root on your device, the rest is copy and paste...but if you're uncomfortable I would hold off. You can brick your device messing around in root.

5. mehbones

mehbones Member

how do i root my device? i'm not worried about the rest, i just dont understand how to mount my phone as a read/write

6. bl4ck0ps

go here

There are several other threads around as well.

7. noonanjs

noonanjs Active Member

Has anyone removed the stock messaging app in an effort to improve battery life yet? I am wondering if your 3rd party messaging app will work with out it, such as handcent, since it seems to be used in conjunction with it currently.

8. Aldo Junior Ao2

Aldo Junior Ao2 Well-Known Member

Removing the messaging apps might cause problems. If i were to do it i would first install the third party msg app and then set it as the default then remove the messaging app. That would most likely fix any problems with the app turning itself on and effecting battery life but i am too scurd yes i said scurd to give that a try. If anyone does please do a nandroid backup before doing so.

9. mkhopper

mkhopper Well-Known Member

I may need to ask this on XDA, but someone here may know as well.

Using this simple guide, we're just removing files.
    I know what the .apk files are of course, but are the .odex files the icon shortcuts?

This is great, but... What I'm asking is, by just removing these files, is this considered a "clean" uninstall of the application? Would the shortcut still appear on the apps list, only pointing to a file that doesn't exist? (assuming no if the .odex file is the icon)

Or, when we decide we wish to uninstall an app, is this exactly what the system is doing behind the scenes? Just deleting a few files and bam, the app is gone?

I know enough about linux desktop systems and installing programs to know that there's a lot going on when installing applications and just deleting the "executable" file leaves a lot of other stuff lying around that's no longer being used, just taking up space.

10. Saltwater Hero

Saltwater Hero Well-Known Member

There are so much stuff I wish I knew what was safe to un install I hope someone makes a list for easy understanding.

11. Aldo Junior Ao2

12. Saltwater Hero

Saltwater Hero Well-Known Member

13. QuiQNeZZ

QuiQNeZZ Well-Known Member

From my understanding your explanation of the apk and odex is correct. I think I read something about the odex being the shortcut to the app which is compressed and is only uncompressed when it is ran. Or something to that effect. When I deleted these files they no longer showed up on my phone at all. No shortcut or anything.

There is a list on XDA with apps people have removed and what is safe to remove and what throws errors. Check it out.

14. noonanjs

noonanjs Active Member

after you are done removing everything can you just unplug the phone and restart or you need to do something before in the cmd program

15. Aldo Junior Ao2

Exit out of the cmd program just to be safe and reboot. Nothing special needed

16. noonanjs

noonanjs Active Member

well i just unpluged it hope i didnt brick my phone I guess i will know soon about to start it back up

17. noonanjs

noonanjs Active Member

major issue after rm some of the files I did not want my phone keeps saying " the process com.htc.provider has stopped unexpectedly. please try agian" and then it make me force close, and it just keeps doing this over and over PLEASE HELP!!!!

18. Aldo Junior Ao2

Ok you did use nandroid backup right. If so reboot to recovery mode and restore backup

19. noonanjs

noonanjs Active Member

how do I do this ? please provide instructions

20. Aldo Junior Ao2

Since you never flashed a rom and never a recovery image and on top of that never did a nandroid backup. The only thing i can say is to do a factory reset. Go to settings,security and scroll down till you see factory data reset. Try that. To all please flash a recovery image reboot to the recovery mode and do a nandroid backup.

P.s You will loose all your info

21. noonanjs

noonanjs Active Member

How do you you do this, I keep seeing people reference nandroid back up and recovery image, please explain. By the way was able to factory reset, thank god. please provide some instucrtions on nandroid back up and recovery image so I can give this another go without giving my self a heart attack

22. Aldo Junior Ao2

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=581577

Read through the tutorial but more in the bottom where it says not done yet and go from there.

23. mformike

mformike New Member

Thanks, I spent a good while trying to get rid of the nascar app but was not successful. This helped

24. nyx528

nyx528 Active Member

Okay, I would really like to get rid of the stock apps I will never in a million years use and I have experience messing with the inner workings of my past Blackberrys, but even the beginner guides I've found here have me completely befuddled. Excuse me if I sound super dumb but what is 'flashing'? I understand what 'rooting' does, but I don't understand why there's a process just to move stuff around on yer phone. I took a look at the guide and the random list of ... whatever those are supposed to be made zero sense to me. If someone could just help me figure out what I've got my hands on so I can begin to make it all the perfection it has the potential for I'd greatly appreciate it.

25. cooolone2

cooolone2 Well-Known Member

Never a dumb question, but answers are another story all together... ;)

Flashing is the process of writing code to the "ROM" of the phone.

If you understand Rooting then I would guess you could decipher the other stuff. Google should be your friend as I would never do something to my phone I didn't fully understand myself, in other words, don't just follow instructions but learn what you are doing so if trouble arises, you can get out of it, lol...

Check the forums, check XDA's site, its all there...

Regards