[GUIDE] FroYo 2.2.1 for Root Users! (Updated 3/3/2011 at 3:40 pm EST - NOW EASIER THAN EVER!)

Last Updated:

1. fullhouse233

fullhouse233 Active Member

step 4 says to download android_winusb.inf but unfortunately nothing downloads just opens up a screen with the info. Is the link broke?

Advertisement
  2. netizenmt

netizenmt Well-Known Member

Well, we were told to wait, so it will be only at the mercy of the ROM Gods that we get a solution. I currently have Froyo running with Amon Ra Recovery and am rooted with the correct SU in place, but no bootloader. Now what can I do to resolve that in order to use future ROMs? I, too, don't want to run the risk of killing my phone again. Death@All110 spent hours restoring it to life.

I think the question that really needs answered is: can we flash a stock Nandroid at this stage and go back and do it right?
  3. Cjohn8792

Cjohn8792 Well-Known Member

Do I go straight from 2.1-update 1, running velocity .4, vs640vz8, vs740mv7.5210.1013 to this 2.2.1? or is there something I have to update in order to follow these steps. I have rom manager and clockwork, unsure if I have fastboot. I lack the knowledge about fastboot and how to use it. Thanks in advance for any information.
  4. socobandit

socobandit Well-Known Member

so, if I'm correct, on my wife's rooted ally, i can skip right to step 28? No factory reset is done, right? she got mad when i did something and she had to reset all her ringtones, email, etc.
  5. k.c.cole

k.c.cole Well-Known Member

Would it be better then to restore and have fastboot for the future? Will it be necessary for any ROMS that may come along?
  6. bnitty

bnitty Well-Known Member

has anyone successfully did it yet?
  7. Matt's 175

Matt's 175 Well-Known Member

Pull the battery and leave it out? Or?

So at what point do you put the battery back in?

Just have to be sure because for some reason, my battery is a MUTHA to get out.
  8. d0nd0n

d0nd0n Well-Known Member

I have successfully used this guide. I had to change some things I did for my personal experience, but it was successful.

Any 2.2 custom ROMs that come along will require that this guide be completed first in order to use their custom ROM.
  9. d0nd0n

d0nd0n Well-Known Member

You pull the battery out and slip it back in.
  10. dautley

dautley VIP Member VIP Member

11. d0nd0n

d0nd0n Well-Known Member

Right click the link and "Save file as..." or the equivalent.

The file may save as a .txt file. You have to enable Windows to show file extensions in order to take out the .txt extension and leave it with .inf

To enable Windows 7 & Vista to show file extensions, do this: In the folder where the android_winusb.inf.txt file is saved, click on Organize and then click "Folder and search options", go to the "View" tab, and uncheck "Hide extentions for known file types" and click Apply and OK. You will notice the file is now named android_winusb.inf.txt - simply right click -> Rename and remove the .txt from the name and click OK on the warning popup.
    dautley likes this.
  12. Matt's 175

Matt's 175 Well-Known Member

[convincing voice] Hello Asurion??? I lost my phone at work and..... [/convincing voice]

;)
  13. netizenmt

netizenmt Well-Known Member

I would plan on her getting mad again. :D
  14. phillk6751

phillk6751 Active Member

so this will only work for those of us who did NOT update with LGMU to 2.2.1 already, correct? I tried it and LGMU for this method stated an error and wouldn't flash back to stock....

Update:

It says specifically: Updating is not possible any longer due to a fatal error while the LG Mobile Phone Software Update.
  15. rjglenn

rjglenn Well-Known Member

Yes, this works. I was abe to do this but if I had to do it over again,I would not have applied the LGMU first. Thanks to the devs for developing this solution. Donation to follow...
  16. bnitty

bnitty Well-Known Member

will this mess up my SD card at all? i have tons of pics on there i don't want deleted.
  17. yohobojo

yohobojo Well-Known Member

I meant like, since they are no froyo based roms rite now, should i go froyo. I kno to flash froyo based roms you must have froyo.
  18. Goonie21

Goonie21 Well-Known Member

I would highly recommend you back up your SD card to your computer if you have important stuff. You never know when the SD can fail or phone get stolen or dropped in water.
  19. TimUSA

TimUSA Member

I am getting the following error at step #17. It says cannot complete and prompts me to do a battery pull and hit restart.

Code (Text):
    1. <<<<<<1st Attempt>>>>>>>
    4. 12:54:45 : [C:\LGMobileUpgrade]
  20. jmar

jmar Nexican VIP Member

EDIT: (original question removed) got amonra to stick...i was friggin tired last night and forgot to remove install-recovery.sh

thanks drellisdee

thanks to lonewolf, dots, afteraffekt, jazz, death, trident and everyone who is helpful, respectful and truly cares about this community.
  21. yohobojo

yohobojo Well-Known Member

Dang it. Wanted to use amonra...
  22. xtcvapor

xtcvapor Well-Known Member

This is simply not true. I used LGMU to 2.2.1, and flashed back to ZV6, then flashed a nandroid (when I had ZVC), then wiped data, cache, Dalvik-Cache, flashed velocity .4
  23. flyinjoe13

flyinjoe13 Well-Known Member

I'm going to do this, but want to clarify something. If i'm not a fan of the way Froyo runs on my Ally, is it still possible to flash a backup copy of my Eclair setup? I've heard the bootloader is changed with the Froyo update and going backwards may not be possible. I want to make sure I can go back because i'm helping someone with something.
  24. Goonie21

Goonie21 Well-Known Member

Afaik once you go froyo you can't go back.
    flyinjoe13 likes this.
  25. jmar

jmar Nexican VIP Member

Yes you can do all this. But in order to get 2.2.1 with root and recovery you have to start at v6 and follow all the steps. you will not be able to flash a froyo rom without doing this method.