• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [GUIDE] FroYo 2.2.1 for Root Users! (Updated 3/3/2011 at 3:40 pm EST - NOW EASIER THAN EVER!)

I am just going to stay with 2.1-1 until there is a different way of doing this, or I buy a newer phone and start from scratch. My ally has given me a lot of good times, but I need something that can process more at once.

Well I have bad news that unfortunately you will probably have to wait a long time or just get that new phone because this is really the only way to pull off the root on 2.2.1. Looking back it wasn't hard, but it was time consuming. Trident did an awesome job just figuring this out and I am looking forward to his next version of velocity based on this.

I did have some minor issues with drivers but that was because the system I was using was Windows 7 64-bit not 32-bit. My solution was to use Windows XP for steps 1 through 17 then to use Windows 7 x64 for the rest of the guide... To make things go a little faster I placed the files including the entire Android SDK on a flash drive.

I encourage everyone with an Ally to take the time and follow Trident's guide you won't be disappointed! Also make sure to donate! Trident deserves it!

Upvote 0
I encourage everyone with an Ally to take the time and follow Trident's guide you won't be disappointed! Also make sure to donate! Trident deserves it!

The problem is I can't afford to brick my phone because I miss a step or there's a setting that happens to be wrong on my phone. Most of the processes on here are hit or miss, especially if you are like me, and have no knowledge of abd or fastboot. Be careful advertising or encouraging anyone to try these processes, every attempt is a gamble.

Upvote 0
Cjohn I know the feeling you have i'm also a little nervous to do this to my phone because I feel the same as you. I have no knowledge of adb or fastboot for the most part however I know that I have followed stuff from Trident, D2A, Dots, and others in the community and have never had anything bad happen to my phone. Also the IRC channel is amazing. I am looking to do mine tomorrow and see how it goes. I can say if your worried read the instructions and follow them to the book and if you need anything as the ally irc channel! These guys are the best and if you do it good luck!

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
It wasn't working for me at first so I did what FlyinJoe suggested and successfully am now in stock non-root VS740ZVC. When I continue with Trident's step #28, I cannot get into recovery. I push the "call end" "menu" and "send" buttons under the touchscreen. The phone then starts up and displays the LG logo, and then an android with a exclamation point, for a half second. The menu never appears. If I let go of the buttons, the phone boots up like normal. If I keep them held down, the phone cycles between being off, lg logo, and android dude, over and over. Any ideas or help? Thanks.

Upvote 0
I am new to android and this is my first android phone (but I do have experience unlocking and flashing Wm phones) so please excuse if this is a stupid question. I rooted and flashed velocity 0.3 and 0.4 with no problems. I got excited, jumped the gun and updated with LGMU with no problems. I updated a program and was able to remove verizon stock apps and install and use wifi tether. Do I still have root or do I need to flash back to v6 and follow these instructions and thanks for all the hard work and time you guys put into this.

Upvote 0
As for those of you trying to use this with a custom rom and custom recovery already in place​

First off to allow the steps to flow as written you will want to put the tools folder you find in the Froyo Root Tools zip you download in step 5 in the platform-tools directory rather than the tools directory as this is where you will be running your commands from.

After the LG Manual Updater does its thing and the phone reboots as detailed in Step 17 rather than holding Down+Home+End go to your command prompt and type
Code:
cd C:\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools
adb reboot-bootloader

If you fail to do this and you follow the steps as detailed you will end up in whatever custom recovery you have installed rather than fastboot the command you issue here will take you to the blue fastboot screen where you can proceed with the rest of the Steps as they are written.

If you do end up in the custom recovery all is not lost, you can simply reboot and issue the adb reboot-bootloader command.

Please note the adb reboot-bootloader command will not work until the verizon wireless splash, simple press up and enter it again until your phone reboots

Donate to Trident and Death2All because without them ya'll wouldn't have root and custom recovery with 2.2.1 besides, it might motivate them to make something great with new 2.2 custom roms in the future

Upvote 0
I feel bad being a nuisance with my first post, but I have a problem.

I've followed each step, but ran in to a problem with 20-25. When I install the unsigned driver fastboot says:

Code:
EP1/out FAIL nfo=40 pg0=dd000
-- portchange --
usb_read() transaction failed
Fastboot: oops!
-- reset --
-- portchange --
fastboot: processing commands

I also tried telling device manager that I had the disk. I navigated it to the .inf. It failed to install because it could not find the files.

Any suggestions?

I run Windows 7 64bit.

I'd also like to thank you for the instructions regardless. It's awesome that you took the time to do this for the Ally users.

Upvote 0
OK, I need a deinitive answer before I do this...My wife received the ota, but it didnt install correctly(roooted, etc.), and she's at vzc right now. If I start at sep 28, since she's already to vzc, is she going to lose all data(ringtones, apps, etc) or will everything be ok?

You could install appbrain and it'll store all your apps on their website. Ringtones just copy the folder to your PC. Phone numbers should be synced with Gmail.

I've probably flashed my phone 20x now and every time, I always have it back to the way it was in less than 15 minutes.

Upvote 0
I feel bad being a nuisance with my first post, but I have a problem.

I've followed each step, but ran in to a problem with 20-25. When I install the unsigned driver fastboot says:

Code:
EP1/out FAIL nfo=40 pg0=dd000
-- portchange --
usb_read() transaction failed
Fastboot: oops!
-- reset --
-- portchange --
fastboot: processing commands

I also tried telling device manager that I had the disk. I navigated it to the .inf. It failed to install because it could not find the files.

Any suggestions?

I run Windows 7 64bit.

I'd also like to thank you for the instructions regardless. It's awesome that you took the time to do this for the Ally users.

Go to Ally IRC. They have the file there. It's posted right at the top. I have W7 X64 also and had the same problem until I installed that one.

freenode Web IRC (qwebirc)

Upvote 0
You could install appbrain and it'll store all your apps on their website. Ringtones just copy the folder to your PC. Phone numbers should be synced with Gmail.

I've probably flashed my phone 20x now and every time, I always have it back to the way it was in less than 15 minutes.

I mean ringtone settings....assignments, notifications, etc. she gets pretty pissy when she has to set the phone all back up again.

Upvote 0

The free version of Titanium Backup will restore not only your apps, but your app data as well. You may have to go in to individual apps and activate your previous settings, as well as set your ringtones back up, but as stated, if you do it right, you can have your phone back to previous settings in a short period of time.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones