[GUIDE] Getting the Built-In WiFi-AP ( Wireless Tether ) Working ( root not required ) 7/20/12Tips

Last Updated:

1. Lordvincent 90

Lordvincent 90 ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓ Guide

Advertisement
    wetbiker7 likes this.
  2. lMonsterl

lMonsterl Well-Known Member

FYI: This will only work on Sprint. Boost doesnt have the tether/hotspot option in the settings. So the only way boost people can use it is if they are rooted and have installed ctmod or marky beats
  3. Jay Aristide

Jay Aristide Well-Known Member

When I got my Boost Marquee, it had Tethering in the settings menu, but it gave an error and asked to update my profile (which didn't work). That's when I learned about accessing the hidden menu to access Extend Modem. Next time I'm in a Boost store I'll check their demo model, but the one I got from Best Buy in April definitely had it in the menu..

To the guys talking about the "Wi-Fi Tether 'widget'"... That's an app (with a widget) whose whole name is "Wireless Tether for Root Users". The main points of this guide were that built-in tethering uses less resources (not to mention it's faster) and I was pretty sure you don't need root to do it (I was right, BTW). If Wi-Fi tether works better or is more convenient for you, then by all means use it :)
  4. lMonsterl

lMonsterl Well-Known Member

Yeah let me know. I don't have a boost store anywhere close to check working floor models. None of the best buys here have any on display that aren't strictly plastic
  5. Lordvincent 90

Lordvincent 90 ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓ Guide

6. Jay Aristide

7. wetbiker7

wetbiker7 Well-Known Member Contributor

The widget works for me when I go in and change Extend Modem. Nice not having to go back in to the menu to turn on and off.
  8. Jay Aristide

OP updated :) Thanks, guys!

On a side note: VERY EXCITED to announce I sold my GTab 10.1 WiFi 16GB for $250 on craigslist, today, and ordered my Google Nexus 7 8GB :) Can't wait until it shows up *giggity*
  9. zasvier89

zasvier89 Active Member

Hey Jay just out of curiosity what is the PPP carrier supposed to be set to on a boost marquee?
  10. Jay Aristide

I've never touched mine and it's set to Sprint :)
    zasvier89 likes this.
  11. rspaulding

rspaulding Active Member

Do I have to do steps 6-8 everytime I want to create a hotspot? Not that I mind I am just happy to actually be able to do it. I was just wondering if I could leave it set to no.

Thanks
    Roy
  12. Jay Aristide

Just get into the habit of setting it every time you power on or reboot your phone, the setting does not persist through reboot.
  13. The~Skater~187

The~Skater~187 Well-Known Member

Thanks for this thread bro. Works like a charm. I choose the anycut method since I already had the apk on my sdcard
  14. wetbiker7

I like that hotspot widget too. It saves some time if ya want to turn it off or on after it's been activated in the shortcut.
  15. tokes

tokes Member

Well, WTF? I thought this was for tethering cuz I have a rooted Marquee currently running ZVC and this is showing you how to do a hot-spot which is $19.99 a month thru Sprint and is limited to 2GB a month, i believe. I wanna tether, DAMMIT!!! :(
  16. JBizzleATL

JBizzleATL Active Member

I use boost, this method u should be good to go with out the extra fee. ;)
    Jay Aristide likes this.
  17. Jay Aristide

Yeah, I'm not paying any extra and this works :)
    JBizzleATL likes this.
  18. SynxZero

SynxZero New Member

Hey man great guide followed it all the way through im using ct-mod 3.68 everything is connected computer recognizes it says internet access but i cannot access anything does anyone know why? no google no yahoo no facebook it wont go through but my computer says internet access?
  19. three4one

three4one Member

Tried the steps. Two issues:

1) the word "error" is under the Portable Wifi Hotspot menu
    2) I can't connect to the internet

I would guess (1) is the issue. Any ideas?

*********UPDATE*********

It pays to reboot. All working now.
  20. Jay Aristide

I no longer have a Marquee, and will not be maintaining this thread any longer. Sorry, folks. AFAIK, everything here still works
    The~Skater~187 likes this.
  21. sloan10

sloan10 New Member

Hey Jay, my name is Will. I was wondering if this works for the LG Marquee for Boost? I ask this because there is no option for any built-in WiFi under my settings. I've been trying to root this piece of s*$t for a week now and no matter what instructions I follow from who it doesn't work. Thanks for your help.
  22. The~Skater~187

The~Skater~187 Well-Known Member

This will only work if your on zvc based roms. If your still on the boost zv4 it will not work.
  23. androidekas

androidekas New Member

Couple of things...

1) On Boost Network there are no hotspot settings in the menu...ever

2) ADW Launcher also has this ability to create activities based shortcuts

This method has proven to be the only one to work for obtaining tethering on my Boost Marquee. I am guessing that it is the only one I have seen so far to turn of the "Extend Modem" function.
  24. copperwerewolf

copperwerewolf Active Member

Please pandon me if i am guilty of not doing my homework here, but is it possible to enable roaming (ie verizion) for a boost phone using this or another method here? If not my wife is looking to switch to maybe net10... so this would be a great fix for her (she travels alot for her new job)
    Thank you for any help.
  25. wetbiker7

No. Not that I'm aware of.
    copperwerewolf likes this.