• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[GUIDE] Getting the Built-In WiFi-AP ( Wireless Tether ) Working ( root not required ) 7/20/12

FYI: This will only work on Sprint. Boost doesnt have the tether/hotspot option in the settings. So the only way boost people can use it is if they are rooted and have installed ctmod or marky beats

When I got my Boost Marquee, it had Tethering in the settings menu, but it gave an error and asked to update my profile (which didn't work). That's when I learned about accessing the hidden menu to access Extend Modem. Next time I'm in a Boost store I'll check their demo model, but the one I got from Best Buy in April definitely had it in the menu..

To the guys talking about the "Wi-Fi Tether 'widget'"... That's an app (with a widget) whose whole name is "Wireless Tether for Root Users". The main points of this guide were that built-in tethering uses less resources (not to mention it's faster) and I was pretty sure you don't need root to do it (I was right, BTW). If Wi-Fi tether works better or is more convenient for you, then by all means use it :)

Upvote 0
When I got my Boost Marquee, it had Tethering in the settings menu, but it gave an error and asked to update my profile (which didn't work). That's when I learned about accessing the hidden menu to access Extend Modem. Next time I'm in a Boost store I'll check their demo model, but the one I got from Best Buy in April definitely had it in the

Yeah let me know. I don't have a boost store anywhere close to check working floor models. None of the best buys here have any on display that aren't strictly plastic

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Do I have to do steps 6-8 everytime I want to create a hotspot? Not that I mind I am just happy to actually be able to do it. I was just wondering if I could leave it set to no.

Thanks
Roy

Just get into the habit of setting it every time you power on or reboot your phone, the setting does not persist through reboot.

Upvote 0
Hey Jay, my name is Will. I was wondering if this works for the LG Marquee for Boost? I ask this because there is no option for any built-in WiFi under my settings. I've been trying to root this piece of s*$t for a week now and no matter what instructions I follow from who it doesn't work. Thanks for your help.

Upvote 0
Hey Jay, my name is Will. I was wondering if this works for the LG Marquee for Boost? I ask this because there is no option for any built-in WiFi under my settings. I've been trying to root this piece of s*$t for a week now and no matter what instructions I follow from who it doesn't work. Thanks for your help.

This will only work if your on zvc based roms. If your still on the boost zv4 it will not work.

Upvote 0
Couple of things...

1) On Boost Network there are no hotspot settings in the menu...ever

2) ADW Launcher also has this ability to create activities based shortcuts

This method has proven to be the only one to work for obtaining tethering on my Boost Marquee. I am guessing that it is the only one I have seen so far to turn of the "Extend Modem" function.

Upvote 0
Please pandon me if i am guilty of not doing my homework here, but is it possible to enable roaming (ie verizion) for a boost phone using this or another method here? If not my wife is looking to switch to maybe net10... so this would be a great fix for her (she travels alot for her new job)
Thank you for any help.

No. Not that I'm aware of.

Reactions: copperwerewolf
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones