• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[GUIDE] How to bypass Sprint proxies

Legal Notice: I'm not a lawyer but I think that this is legal and does not violate the August 1st TOS and you can call and tell'll change the setting for you or give you the code. Use this guide at your own risk.

Hi Everyone,

I found this very simple trick to bypass Sprint/VirginMobile's throttling and it removes any throttles including the 256KBPS throttle after using 2.5GB. You will need your MSL code you'll need to call and keep asking for it. (I got a reasonable person on the 3rd try).

-----------------------------------------------

Type ##data# from dialer (you won't need to press call)

Click Edit

Find your Rev.Tunning Setting,
Reverse tunnel preferred : disable

Look through the menus for your DSS Settings,
DSS proxy server IP Address : delete it or replace it with "0.0.0.0"
DSS proxy server Port : delete it or replace it with "0"

Look through the menus for your HTTPD/RSTP Proxies (advanced/multimedia),
RSTP proxy ip : delete it or replace it with "0.0.0.0"
RSTP proxy port : delete it or replace it with "0"
HTTPD proxy IP : delete it or replace it with "0.0.0.0"
HTTPD proxy port : delete it or replace it with "0"

Reboot your phone... You have now removed throttling...

Removing the HTTPD and RSTP proxies is the known solution for fixing broken audio feeds.

You can call Sprint, tell them that you have that problem and they'll clear those for you.

Or get your MSL and do it yourself.

http://androidforums.com/htc-evo-3d/361521-streaming-media-tyrrany-sprint-proxies.html

As far as the DSS proxy, people have been clearing that for years to address youtube stuttering but I wouldn't swear that it works.

Good luck on this - I don't think that everything works for the reasons going around though.

Upvote 0
Since I was rooted already (Evo V 4G) It seems the proxy settings were already set to this, yet i was still being capped at 30 KB/s, so it doesn't seem to work, unfortunately..When unthrottled before hitting the soft cap, I get about 1.5-2 mbit down, .6 up. I wish I could have those speeds all the time. Not sure who this really works for.

I also used MSL reader to get my MSL, to avoid any human problems.

Upvote 0
I am still not understanding this. Are you saying Sprint throttles data?

No. The OP was on a Sprint is subsidiary that apparently does. See your new Sprint plan for details.

Routing through a proxy does what the name implies - adds a path to your destination no matter what.

We've been bypassing Sprint proxies for years for performance reasons.

If you call Sprint complaining about a known audio streaming issue, they'll reach over via service magic and do this for you.

Not a big deal. See the second post.

Upvote 0
i know i am on boost mobile and it should not apply to me. but i got curious to try and i did. well it did not work for me and top of that i totally lost my data connection. the setting "reverse tunnel preferred: disable" kicks me of the data. after re-enabling this i got my data connection back but was still throttled ( .45 up and .55 down)
i forgot to write down the other settings before overwriting with 0s so :(
before 2.5gig i get 1.2 up, .75 down usually on my 3g

Upvote 0
UPDATE: if you read my earlier post right on top of this one, it says that the trick mentioned in the OP did not work for me. two weeks later i am here to say that earlier today i was throttled but not now. with one added step.
my case is little different, let me explain.
i am on boost with rooted prevail with CTmod. i have wifi tether for root user installed and occasionally tether. usually after third week i get throttled for going over 2.5 GB of data. my un-throttled speed is around 1.2 mbps down, throttled .40 mbps. this month its been two weeks i am throttled.
when i tether on my laptop i usually launch firefox, go to speedtest.net, check the speed. today checked couple of different servers, .38 and .42 down :( my month starts on the 19th so.....
the added step that i was talking about is "useragent switcher". i googled up how to do it manually for firefox, seemed easy, took 30 seconds. went to speedtest, same two servers gave me 1.04 and 1.12 mbps down! voila!
just to do some real world test went to microsoft and downloaded a service pack for windows, downloaded a 650MB file from cloud, downloaded a 720p hd videofile from youtube 590 MB. was keeping an eye on the tether app, burst speed was frequently over 2 mbps reaching 2.27mbps highest, 450 kbps lowest, average around 1.2 ~ 1.3 mbps.
as prevail is a phone with tiny screen i barely browse internet on it. so i did not check speedtest on the phone itself but will do tomorrow.

Upvote 0
For Sprint -

1391090529604.jpg

Upvote 0
You said you need to call for MSL code I didnt know what that was so I looked it up and found this thread on how to get MSL code without calling...by a Moderator here...does this still work i mean this thread is hella old :)

http://androidforums.com/htc-hero-s...thout-calling-sprint-using-cmda-workshop.html

anyways if it does work Im a G :p

That hole got plugged long ago on most phones, sorry.

If you're rooted, it's really easy with MSL Reader on most models.

Otherwise, you have to call.

Reactions: marctronixx
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones