{Guide} How to Flash custom ROMs and Kernels

Last Updated: 2011-03-30 14:25:47
  1. kellysa111

kellysa111 Well-Known Member

Hey guys! I know there are going to be a couple of noobs around here in the next couple of weeks asking how to install these custom ROMs and Kernels. I'm not judging or anything, because after all, we were there once. I think it would be a good idea to have a thread giving instructions on how to install these ROMs and Kernels.

First and Foremost: MAKE SURE YOU ARE ROOTED!

Second of all: MAKE SURE YOU NANDROID!!!!

Note: We are not responsible for ANYTHING you do to your phone. We just give instructions depending on how it works for us. So, if you brick it (which is kinda impossible), not my problem.

Anyways, let's get started!

Visit the xda Evo Shift Android Development forums for the ROM and/or Kernel of your choice. Browse the threads, making sure you READ EVERYTHING in the post about the ROM/Kernel. If it is to your liking, download the file onto your computer. Link to xda forums-> EVO Shift 4G Android Development - xda-developers

Make sure that when you connect your phone to the computer, you have it set as a disk drive.

For just the ROM, or the ROM AND Kernel

1. Copy (drag and drop) the file to the root of your SD card. (By 'root of the SD card', I mean just click on the SD card. DO NOT GO INTO ANY FILES IN THE CARD).

2. If you downloaded a custom ROM and Kernel, copy them both at the same time.

3. Eject your phone from the computer by right click on the sd card and clicking 'eject'.

4. Reboot your phone into recovery. (volume down + power key)
    For me, it reboots into Hboot and then I have to choose recovery.

5. Go to backup and restore.

6. Choose Backup. ( so that in case you mess up, you can go back to the stock rooted ROM)

7. Go back to the main recovery screen and wipe:
    -data/factory
    -cache partition
    Go to mounts and storage
    - format boot
    -format system
    -format data
    -format cache
    Go to Advanced
    -wipe dalvik cache
    8. Go back to the main recovery menu and go to 'install zip from sdcard'
    9. Then, go to 'choose zip from sd card'
    10. Click on the ROM name and then select yes. (Flash GAPPS if you have any) Congratulations! you installed the ROM!
    Follow these steps AFTER you install the ROM if you are going to install the Kernel too.

11. Go back to 'install zip from sdcard'
    12. Go to 'choose zip from sdcard'
    13. Choose the Kernel zip file. Then, 'yes'.
    Congratulations! you just flashed the kernel!

Just the Kernel

1. Wipe cache partition.
    2. Go to advanced and choose "Wipe dalvik cache"
    3. Go back to recovery main screen and choose "install zip from sdcard"
    4. Then, 'choose zip from sdcard'
    5. Find the Kernel and choose it.
    6. Click yes. Congratulations! You flashed the Kernel!

Have fun! And if there is anything wrong with my 'guide' just pm me and I'll be sure to edit.

Also, any questions, just feel free to post it and we will try to answer to the best of our abilities.

Advertisement
    Drakon and SHMaRiM like this.
  2. burndog79

burndog79 Active Member

Calkulin’s EViO Shift v1.0

Cant seem to get it to take. for some reason, even did both cache clears, i am rooted with s-off, cleared those caches, did a factory reset, and clockwork selected the zip file. it sat there on the white HTC screen forever. maybe 10 minutes. i finally gave up. Please someone help me!!! Im sore from trying. LOL
  3. 330D

330D From My Cold Dead Hands VIP Member

burndog79 likes this.
  4. burndog79

burndog79 Active Member

How do i know if it takes? the screen that came up looks like the factory default screen. Is it supposed to look at all different at first boot up?
  5. 330D

I dont know if that rom has a custom bootscreen. Some look the same, some don't
    burndog79 likes this.
  6. burndog79

burndog79 Active Member

i mean, after it boots up is it supposed to look like the pics above? or identicalness to stock?
  7. 330D

What I'm trying to tell you is that each individual rom may or may not have a custom bootscreen. Meaning it may look the same as the stock, and it may not. I do not have any experience with Calkulin's rom, so I can't tell you what it is supposed to have for a bootscreen. Are you sure it is a rom for the Shift, i don't see a thread for it at xda... Do you have a link so I can look at it?
    burndog79 likes this.
  8. kellysa111

Is it this one? [ ROM / 2-9 ] Calkulin's EViO Shift v1.0 [ 1.17 l Battery Saver script w/ Profiles ] - xda-developers

This is an EVO ROM. It's based on the EVO SHIFT ROM. It's not going to work on the EVO SHIFT.

Edit: You can try this ROM http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=984132. This is based on that one.
    burndog79 and 330D like this.
  9. 330D

:rolleyes:Well that explains a lot.
  10. burndog79

burndog79 Active Member

OMFG I feel like a F******* ****** right now. Thank you Kellys111 for saving about 1.2 million hairs on my head that were soon to be torn out. I didnt even notice that. AAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!! LOL Yes i am using an EVO shift. ****. Did i mention that I feel like an idiot right now? LOL
  11. sktr021

sktr021 Active Member

Here's one for ya.

After I am all rooted I want to try out new roms and stuff can I back up my texts and swap them over once I get settled in to a new ROM?
  12. kellysa111

There are a couple of apps in the market that can do that. Personally, I don't really care to save the texts.

There's an app called xArchive that backs up your texts/mms to your gmail. I don't know if you can restore them on your phone though.