• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [GUIDE] How to Flash Recovery AND Setup AndroidSDK (Revised)

I extracted it but the command I put was the one at the beginning of this guide maybe that's whats wrong, I'll try that command and see if It works thanks for that assist
If you haven't typed the line cat /sdcard/flash_image > /system/bin/flash_image, flash_image will not be found because you haven't put it on your phone yet.

Upvote 0
I have a question about all of this. I have the android sdk installed, and I went to the c:\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools directory and then clicked on adb.exe. I get a very quick scrolling dos window and then it closes. I don't have time to pause or even try to see what it's doing. Where do I find adb shell that everyone is talking about?

Upvote 0
I have a question about all of this. I have the android sdk installed, and I went to the c:\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools directory and then clicked on adb.exe. I get a very quick scrolling dos window and then it closes. I don't have time to pause or even try to see what it's doing. Where do I find adb shell that everyone is talking about?

Never mind. I figured it out. Instead of clicking on adb.exe, I just typed in the command in a dos box and was able to then read all that was there, and figured out that adb shell was one of the switches that I can use with the adb command.

Upvote 0
Lol did u try anything outside of what I said to do in the thread? Like did anyone have u try anything else or did u just keep trying until it worked?

in for this answer too:D... stuck on the same place he was i been trying alternatives to add remove spaces between words and nothing .. followed all the steps carefully..

still get the flash_image:not found

Upvote 0
in for this answer too:D... stuck on the same place he was i been trying alternatives to add remove spaces between words and nothing .. followed all the steps carefully..

still get the flash_image:not found

go to joniedys finally custom recovery thread and just do it through ADB..

download the android sdk.zip.extract it to your c drive.open it up,and download the platform tools addon in the list of available add-ons.once your done add adb to your enviromental variables. if your in windows 7,right click my computer,select advanced settings from the left.now under the advanced menu,select enviromental variables..now go to system variables.highlight path and select edit.now the most important part.add the EXACT string to the END of the path..

;C:\android-sdk-windows/platform-tools;

this must be EXACT for it to work.once youve done this,open up cmd,and hit adb..then after all the text is done,hit adb shell,then type SU...once you type su,your phone will pop up the superuser permissions,hit allow...now your ready to flash your recovery image. hope this helps.

Upvote 0
What was the issue. If there is an error in my post I would be aware so I can fix it. I made this post after doing it myself and then someone asked me how to do it. So I kinda just made the post in a rush. So let us know what the problem was for future posters. Thanks.
The error most are encountering is that you have removed the command line for flash_image (cat /sdcard/flash_image > /system/bin/flash_image). The command to install CustRec can't use flash_image if people don't use that line to install it to the phone first :). In HAZE's case and my own, we needed to use the mount command lines to make the system directory read/write to get flash_image on the phone.

I understand you wanted to streamline it, but in all honesty the only line that can be removed (for first timers anyway) is the one for install-recovery.sh, since we have not gotten OTA updates. I don't know if more steps can be skipped after the first go round though.

Upvote 0

step 2: open terminal emulator and type "su".(do not include quotation marks)
you will get the superuser request pop-up.hit allow.then you should see a # appear.

step 3:type this exactly how i type it.if there seems to be a space,there is one.

cat /sdcard/flash_image > /system/bin/flash_image

hit enter,then type the below line

i put in the follow code & this is what i get.. (cannot create /system/bin/flash_image: read-only file system) help pleasee

Upvote 0
im having some touble with this i enter the adb shell and i get the $ then i enter su....this is what i get

C:\Users\Administrator>abd shell
'abd' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\Users\Administrator>adb shell
$ su
su
Permission denied
$
what am i doing wrong?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones