1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

[Guide] How to install CM7 on your Nook Color

1. colchiro

colchiro Well-Known Member

You need to have a micro sd card installed to flash most custom roms b/c many apps need the card for storage. A 4 gb card will do, but I prefer a 16 gb. (32 gb is the max that will work.) If you're purchasing a sd card, pick up a cheap 2 gb micro sd that you can use for an emergency boot disk, in case you can't boot your NC. How to make a bootable CWM recovery sd card.

There are 3 sections here, depending on your situation. All 3 sections assume you want to replace your stock rom with CM7

1. How to upgrade an existing custom (rooted) rom (CM7, Phiremod, Mirage) on your Nook Color (not sd card). :D

For users of stock rom, rooted or not, see the section that uses a CWR bootable sdcard (#3).

Wiping data will erase your personal settings on the NC, but not the external sd card, if you have one. If you have apps with settings that you want to preserve, install Titanium Backup from Market. The Pro version allows more than one backup of each app and also simplifies restoring apps so you don't have to tap "install" and "done" after ever one. See my Backup 101 for more info on this.

While you're backing up things, why not make a recovery backup of your current rom, just in case you decide you like that better or there's a problem with your custom rom?

• Open Rom Manager and tap the second option, "reboot into Recovery"
    • (To use recovery, up/down volume buttons are used to navigate up and down, press the power button to go back, and press the "n" button to do the highlighted task)
    • Press up or down volume button until "backup and restore" is highlighted, press "n" button.
    • backup should be highlighted, press the "n" button.
    • make sure there are no errors.
    • press the power button once if necessary until the "reboot system now" option is available, press the "n" button to return to your rom.

What you need to know before installing:

You will need to install:

1. The rom, (stable builds or release candidates are recommended for most users). New versions come out every couple months or so.
    2. Google apps. This includes Google Play Store, etc.
    3. Optional overclocking kernels are no longer needed with these builds.

FORMATTING DATA: only format data if you want to delete all your apps. Google will still remember your purchased apps and will attempt to download the ones you've downloaded, assuming you have this turned on. See Settings... Privacy... "Back up my data" and "Automatic restore" should both be check for some time prior to installing if you want it to remember your apps and settings. Officially, formatting data is recommended for any rom install. Unofficially, I've had good results just updating my previous rom without formatting data. Your results may differ. :D The one exception? You need to format data if coming from the stock B&N rom or from a really old version.

Your rom can be installed from recovery on your NC (boot into recovery from Rom Manager) or by using a separate bootable CWR sd card. This tutorial will cover both installation methods.

An easy way of downloading all this directly to your NC is to purchase Rom Manager from market, less than $6. It will download the latest stable or nightly CyanogenMod rom (or Phiremod) and the latest Google Apps. The files are downloaded to the clockworkmod\download folder on the sdcard. Although this way is easier when it works, you'll need to do the bootable CWR sdcard method (below) if it doesn't. :D

These are generic images of RM, not necessarily current NC versions:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. How to install CM7 via Rom Manager (premium).

This is the easiest way to update your rom. If you run into a problem where your NC doesn't boot within 5 minutes or so, you'll need to use the other method (installing via a bootable CWR card) to recover or repair.

The premium version of RM will allow you to download roms directly to your sdcard without removing cards.

1. To maximize battery performance, make sure your battery is charged to 100% before flashing. I prefer to let it charge during the flashing process.
    2. Open Rom Manager. Make sure you have the latest version of RM by tapping the top the top item, "Flash ClockworkMod Recover" if your version isn't at the same as the current version (3.2.0.1 as of this post)
    3. Tap "Download Rom". Tap CyanogenMod. You should get a list of stable Roms.
    4. Tap latest stable version, which will be the first one (7.2.0). It should give you a notice that's it's downloading.
    5. Hit back. Tap "Google Apps".
    6. Tap the latest version, which will be the first one (20110828). Again it should give you notice that it's downloading.
    7. When everything is done downloading, RM will prompt you to install. Although this will probably work. I prefer to use recovery to install b/c that's the method you'll need to know how to use should you ever need to repair an installation.
    8. Cancel the prompt to install the rom and tap "Reboot into Recovery" and tap OK at the prompt.
    9. (To use recovery, up/down volume buttons are used to navigate up and down, press the power button to go back, and press the "n" button to do the highlighted task. Only briefly press the buttons since it's easy to skip a step by holding down a button too long.)
    10. Press up or down volume button until "mounts and storage" is highlighted, press "n" button.
    11. use up/down to highlight "format /system", press "n"
    12. highlight "yes - format", press "n" (always watch for errors)
    13. when that finishes, highlight "format /cache", press "n"
    14. highlight "yes -format", press "n"
    15. IF FORMATTING DATA (see above description. Most people can safely skip this step), highlight "format /data", press "n". (You need to format data if coming from the stock B&N rom.)
    16. press power button briefly to return to previous menu
    17. select "install zip from sdcard", press "n"
    18. select "choose zip from sdcard", press "n"
    19. select "clockworkmod/" folder, press "n"
    20. select "download/" folder, press "n"
    21. select download.cyanogenmod.com, press "n"
    22. select "get", press "n"
    23. select your CM rom, press "n"
    24. highlight "Yes - install... (rom filename), press "n"
    25. Make sure your rom completed successfully (up to 5 minutes), then flash Google Apps.
    26. select "choose zip from sdcard", press "n"
    27. select "clockworkmod/" folder, press "n"
    28. select "download/" folder, press "n"
    29. select "goo-inside.me/", press "n"
    30. select "gapps/", press "n"
    31. select your gApps version, press "n"
    32. highlight "Yes - install... (gapps file name), press "n"
    33. Make sure your gApps completed successfully, then press power button to go back until "reboot" is visible. Select "reboot system now", press "n"
    34. Let your nook sit for 5 minutes to settle
    35. If you formatted data, you'll need to do these steps:
      1. Connect to your wi-fi: drag status bar up from bottom (you'll see a wifi icon on it), choose wi-fi and enter settings. O/W Settings > wireless and network > wi-fi settings
      2. Set your clock: Settings > Date & Time > Uncheck

Advertisement
    :
  2. colchiro

If you're updating from the stock B&N rom, make sure you format data or you'll boot loop.
  3. colchiro

Updated OP to include info regarding 7.1.0 RC1 (stable 7.1.0 release candidate).
    Jasming917 likes this.
  4. Jasming917

Jasming917 New Member

I have done the install and everything works fine except I cannot use flash. I tried to download youtube but it would not let me. Did I maybe do something wrong?
  5. colchiro

You didn't say what you upgraded from? (stock?) Or what version you installed (7.03, RC1 or a nightly)?

If you wiped data and installed Google Apps, you'd simply download Flash from Market and YouTube would have been included with the Google Apps (you'd have to select it from the 6 or so other options).

Sorry, "would not let me", doesn't mean anything to me. Can you be more precise?

You DO have Market, right?

Otherwise you can install gApps from Rom Manager (if it doesn't need to be updated first).
  6. cyclejim

cyclejim New Member

I am having a strange issue, I have cm7 installed and running, works fine for the most part, but i ran into issues when i went to try and install a new ROM from the nightly using ROM manager . I tried the automatic install first and it booted to the Linux boot and said SD card already formatted and then shutdown. Then I tried a manual reboot to recovery mode and it does the same thing but clockworkmod recovery refuses to start up. It just boots to Linux says SD already formatted and shuts down, any ideas??
  7. colchiro

Did you install your rom on the sdcard instead of replacing the stock rom with CM7?

I don't think sdcard roms can be updated via Rom Manager.
  8. Podivin

Podivin VIP Member VIP Member

Also, if you have your ROM installed internally (not on the SD card) then you might need to select "Flash ClockworkMod Recovery" from ROM Manager. I believe RM will misbehave some if you don't do this.
  9. colchiro

Yes, if recovery isn't installed it'll just reboot back into CM7. (Very common problem)

Did you mean to say "reboot" instead of "shuts down"? Does your NC turn itself off when you try to go into recovery? (Never heard of that.)
  10. Sylon

Sylon Well-Known Member

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!

Because of this write up, I found out so much about this CM7 stuff. I realized that I was running a really old CM7 build. I also decided to give these nightly builds a try, running 165 right now because I couldn't locate 150 or 160 on the cyanogen website (links are empty). I also tried overclocking it, and right now its running at 1.2GHz and so far so good (knock on wood). This thing is so fast! I also like this new build, especially the nice animation when locking the screen, lol.

I'm still learning, so please bare with me when I ask for help. But this write up taught me a lot. Thanks.

EDIT: Update, yeah 165 is not too fun, a lot of freezes even at 800MHz. I put 7.0.3 encore signed back on, although I might try 171 before going thru the ass pain of restoring my back up.
  11. MateJJ

MateJJ Member

I just did the cyanogen mod for the first time today....and well, im not impressed....I lost Flash, Facebook, Youtube, ....and YES it wont LET ME download those apps from the market. There is nothing, no button, to press to download them...

i'm using

cm_encore_full-177.zip

nightly build...on my internal...i reformatted, repartitioned, ran the most recent encore, then ran the most recent nightly....I started with a completely stock nook color that I formatted for this process....I cant seem to figure out what to try next...

this is the part that gets me.....(I even installed rom manager premium)

1. Cancel the prompt to install the rom and tap "Reboot into Recovery" and tap OK at the prompt.
    2. (To use recovery, up/down volume buttons are used to navigate up and down, press the power button to go back, and press the "n" button to do the highlighted task. Only briefly press the buttons since it's easy to skip a step by holding down a button too long.)
    3. Press up or down volume button until "mounts and storage" is highlighted, press "n" button.
    4. use up/down to highlight "format /system", press "n"
    5. highlight "yes - format", press "n" (always watch for errors)
    6. when that finishes, highlight "format /cache", press "n"
    7. highlight "yes -format", press "n"
    8. IF FORMATTING DATA (see above description. Most people can safely skip this step), highlight "format /data", press "n".
    9. press power button briefly to return to previous menu
    10. select "install zip from sdcard", press "n"
    11. select "choose zip from sdcard", press "n"
    12. select "clockworkmod/" folder, press "n"
    13. select "download/" folder, press "n"
    14. select download.cyanogenmod.com, press "n"
    15. select "get", press "n"
    16. select your CM rom, press "n"
    17. highlight "Yes - install... (rom filename), press "n"
    18. Make sure your rom completed successfully (up to 5 minutes), then flash Google Apps.
    19. select "choose zip from sdcard", press "n"
    20. select "clockworkmod/" folder, press "n"
    21. select "download/" folder, press "n"
    22. select "goo-inside.me/", press "n"
    23. select "gapps/", press "n"
    24. select your gApps version, press "n"
    25. highlight "Yes - install... (gapps file name), press "n"
    26. Make sure your gApps completed successfully, then flash the (optional) Dalingrin kernel. To keep the stock kernel, skip this step and proceed with the "reboot system now" step below.
    27. select "choose zip from sdcard", press "n"
    28. select your kernel from the root (main folder) of your sdcard. It should be named similar to "update-CM7-dalingrin-OC-emmc-042411ext4.zip", press "n"
    29. highlight "Yes -install.. (kernel file name), press "n"
    30. when it finishes, press power button to go back until "reboot" is visible. Select "reboot system now", press "n"
    31. Let your nook sit for 5 minutes to settle
    32. If you formatted data, you'll need to do these steps:
      1. Connect to your wi-fi: drag status bar up from bottom (you'll see a wifi icon on it), choose wi-fi and enter settings. O/W Settings > wireless and network > wi-fi settings
      2. Set your clock: Settings > Date & Time > Uncheck “Automatic” and select your time zone
      3. Sign in from Market (Market may not show in app drawer until you are connected to wifi; if you still don’t see it, reflash)
      4. Your purchased and recently installed apps will start to download and install. I find it best to just let it do it's thing for about 10-15 minutes until it completes or errors out (a possibility). When finished, reboot and check Market again.
    33. After installing a new rom, expect it to be sluggish for a day or so.
    34. enjoy

[​IMG]

any suggestions

MateJJ
  12. MateJJ

MateJJ Member

Really? Thanks for the Link....I'll have to see if there is a workaround...

MateJJ
  13. scubaman

scubaman Well-Known Member

You're running into a known problem. The market app has a bug. Strange as it may seem, it has to do with lcddensity setting - here's the fix
    Rich
  14. walterbyrd

walterbyrd Active Member

I am trying this for the first time.

I installed an external 2gb micro sdhc card. The nook asked if I wanted to format the card, and I click "yes."

I connected the nook to my linux box with the usb cable, and I see the following:

/media/MyNOOKcolor/B&N Downloads
    /media/MyNOOKcolor/LOST.DIR
    /media/MyNOOKcolor/My Files

Where is my external SD?
  15. walterbyrd

walterbyrd Active Member

Nevermind I found the external SD by powering off, and powering back on.
  16. colchiro

Cool. That was easy. :D
  17. Lars

Lars Well-Known Member

I just installed CM7 206 nightly (I think) on a friend's nook. I had CM7 running on an Eris so it wasn't new to me but wow the nook really comes alive with a proper rom. It feels complete. I especially like the tablet enhancements for certain apps. The workflow for me was:

1.0.1 -> 1.3 update -> manual nooter 4.5.18 -> manual nooter 4.6.16 -> Flash CWM to emmc -> gapps + backup + full wipe + downloaded CM7 nightly = awesome

Probably could have cut out a lot of steps in there but I was new to the nook. Maybe just a flashable CWM with CM7 on it and come straight from 1.3
  18. colchiro

19. Lars

Lars Well-Known Member

Yep I should'a been clearer. I did do it right through Rom Manager after the manual nooter. It was a thing of beauty.

I despise the Moto bootloader for making things so tough. Samsung phones are nice like the nook too. I find it hard to keep up since every device has a different method of doing things. Odin for Samsung, RSD for Moto, S-off issues on HTC etc. I have to say thumbs up on anyone wanting to buy a nook and it being mod friendly.
  20. colchiro

In the droidx forum they frown on Rom manager, but for some devices, that's all we have.
  21. Modman

Modman Well-Known Member

22. Modman

Modman Well-Known Member

also couldn't you just install the roms to sdcard? what are advantages to installing on the phone?
  23. colchiro

Your "hard reset" is formatting data, which removes all your user data.

You could also format cache and clear Dalvik cache, which gets rid of temp files and is safe to do on any rom.

Only advantage of sdcard install is that it preserves your stock rom and allows you to dual boot.

Disadvantages: more fragile (sdcards eventually fail), harder to setup, slow and jerky if wrong card is used (don't use class 10 cards), and harder to upgrade.

You can backup your stock rom and always restore it OR just flash the stock rom again so no need for stock rom in my (narrow-minded) opinion. :D