• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Guide] How to install CM7 on your Nook Color

From what to what?

CM7 to CM7, (ex: 7.02 to recent nightly) I'd make a backup in recovery, try it and if it fails or boot loops, I'm not out much.

Stock rom or Froyo to recent CM7: I wouldn't even try. Make a backup of apps with TIBU and restore.

current CM7 <--> current MIUI (or other CM7 based rom)... risky but what can it hurt if you do a backup?

OTOH, maybe it's a well worn install with some issues and ready for a clean install? :D

Upvote 0
Hmmm.... haven't seen either.

Glad it worked. Yup, takes a long time when you clear both caches. :D

Ah, that explains it, thanks.

Also, Facebook and other apps that the Market wouldn't allow you to download before, all appear in the Market now. Looks like they fixed that issue as well. So awesome.

Although, I hate how the All Apps page looks in the Market when you check for updates. But thats the Market being the Market I think.

Upvote 0
I would just like to add i tryed this for a while but had previously used a different guide and was booting into cm7 but reaching an error saying something along the lines process.media (force close). After trying everything this guide made me realize when i switched over the first time i never reformatted data. so it let me on just not touch the market, i was looking for a boot loop problem though lol. so just reformat data if ur really having issues it clear mine right up.

Upvote 0
Okay, I'm seemingly at a standstill here. I started off at stock v.1.2. I then flashed to CM7. The CM7 stable file I used is update-cm-7.1.0-encore-signed.zip. After that I installed Google Apps with zip file gapps-gb-20110828.zip . I shut down the Nook and took out the SD Card and rebooted the Nook. As soon as it starts up an error message pops up saying, "The process android.process.media has stopped unexpectedly. I continiously get this message while the Nook is on. When I go to Cyanogenmod Settings a message pops up saying, "The application Settings (process com.android.settings) has stopped unexpectedly. When I flash the ROM I format the system and the CACHE. What am I doing wrong?

Upvote 0
I've loaded CM7 on my Nook many times with no issues, but my son got a Nook Color for Christmas and I tried loading it using the exact same SD card I used on my own. After booting onto the SD Card, I format system (works fine), format cache (works fine), format data (no good, error message). I load CM7 to the Nook anyways and everything looks OK, except there is no status bar at the bottom of the screen and if I go into Settings/Cyanogen Settings, I receive force close error. I spend all day trying different Cyanogen/Phiremods to load to this Nook and none totally successful. I eventually load Stock back onto it and exchange it for another Nook Color. Exact same problems with this one (error message formatting data, no status bar and can't change settings)......last resort (after loading CM7), I boot off of SC Card and select clear all data and when I reboot the Nook it works fine. CM7 is now working perfect.

I have a suspicion that B&N is setting up Nooks different now because I never received an error formatting data before and now received it on 2 different Nooks.

Upvote 0
[...] I have a suspicion that B&N is setting up Nooks different now because I never received an error formatting data before and now received it on 2 different Nooks.
They changed it a while ago, and there's a new partitioning scheme. Your version of ClockWorkMod (CWM) is outdated. Update that, format /data per the instructions, and all should be well.

Upvote 0
Okay just to be clear, which order do I format once I'm in Clockwork Mod Recovery?

Makes no difference. Just always format data when changing roms.

I have a suspicion that B&N is setting up Nooks different now because I never received an error formatting data before and now received it on 2 different Nooks.

They changed it a while ago, and there's a new partitioning scheme. Your version of ClockWorkMod (CWM) is outdated. Update that, format /data per the instructions, and all should be well.

CWM on your sdcard is outdated. You need to update it to 3.2.0.1 to format data on the newer NC's.

Upvote 0
Here is a question that popped into the mind of a friend of mine and it got the gears turning in my head too. He wondered how apps that have been moved to the microSD card would be backed up if ClockworkMod Recovery and his Nandroids reside on another microSD card?

See, he has a separate microSD card with ClockworkMod Recovery flashed on it, to use as his recovery microSD card and also to make Nandroid backups. So, if he uses a different microSD card and has some apps moved to that microSD card, how would those apps get backed up? Would he have to hot swap his microSD cards and then just perform the Nandroid on the larger one that does not contain ClockworkMod Recovery flashed to it and then later copy that Nandroid to the smaller, recovery microSD card?. That is all that I could think of unless there is another, easier, way to pull that off.

Upvote 0
nevermind i redownloaded the zip and it worked

Glad you got it figured out. :D

So, if he uses a different microSD card and has some apps moved to that microSD card, how would those apps get backed up? Would he have to hot swap his microSD cards and then just perform the Nandroid on the larger one that does not contain ClockworkMod Recovery flashed to it and then later copy that Nandroid to the smaller, recovery microSD card?. That is all that I could think of unless there is another, easier, way to pull that off.

I backup my apps with TIBU (which is stored on the sdcard) and also create a recovery backup every time I update a rom and about every 10 days or so between roms. My bootable sdcard is used when I need it, usually for emergencies.

I do have a 32 gb sdcard coming so I can play with a bootable instance. I need a little experience with that since it comes up waaaay too much. :D

I hope he isn't moving apps to the sdcard since that just seems to cause problems. I have noticed that large apps (usually games) want to install to the sdcard. I suspect it's easier to support an app that always installs to the same location.

Upvote 0
Thank you for your wonderful guide. I have a refub NC (bought from B&N ebay store) with software version 1.3. I have no idea if this has a blue dot or not. I would like to install CM7 on the device (not SD) and from reading the posts here I believe that I could do that. Correct me if I am wrong. Also assume that things go well, do I have to keep the bootable SD card inside for the NC to function? BTW I do not see the 32G version. Could you show us how to make one?

Thanks again.

Upvote 0
The bootable sdcard is just used to install the rom so it's best to use a cheap card that you can use just for that. After installing the rom, you remove it and replace it with a sdcard for data.

You can use any size for the 32 g card, but you'll probably want to erase it after. 32 gb is a waste to use just for the couple times a year you'd really need it. (i.e. if you flash the 16 gb image, you end up with a 16 gb bootable card.)

Reactions: gpsuf
Upvote 0
Thank you. I did follow your instruction (number 3) and things work so far so good. I also see that this ROM does not root the device yet. How do I root it from my current state, i.e. CM7 on the device. Also could I overclock the CPU using the CM settings? I see it now 800 and looks like people try 1200.

Thanks again.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones