• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Guide] How to install CM7 on your Nook Color

Thanks for the guide colchiro. It worked like a charm. I did #3 to get CM7.1 onto my NC (shipped @ v1.3), just got it today in the mail. I do have a question though. I had bought Rom Manager and installed. It installed v4.8,1.4. When I go to flash clockwork recovery, it tells me I have an "unsupported device". Is it safe to do this (flash the recovery I mean)?

Monkey

Upvote 0
Thanks so much for the guide! I am in the process of rooting my daughter's nook color and want to make sure I don't make any stupid mistakes. I have downloaded everything as asked but want to make sure of one thing.
Do I unzip the ROM and gapps prior to dragging them to the microSD card? Secondly, do I need to put them in a folder or just in the general directory?
Lastly, my daughter's nook books will be synced from the B&N server as I understand it; what about the apps? No problem on the apps, I was just wondering.
Thanks,
Pat

Upvote 0
Do I unzip the ROM and gapps prior to dragging them to the microSD card? Secondly, do I need to put them in a folder or just in the general directory?
Don't unzip or put in a folder. Files flashed from recovery need to be a zip file.

Lastly, my daughter's nook books will be synced from the B&N server as I understand it; what about the apps? No problem on the apps, I was just wondering.

B&N market is not the same as Google Market. Paid apps will need to be repurchased if you still need them. The work-around would be to root your rom, back them up with Titanium Backup, install CM7, install Titanium Backup again and restore your apps (just apps + apps data, not green or red items). The roms are not compatible so if you install system items, you'll create problems.

Reactions: patnshan
Upvote 0
Don't unzip or put in a folder. Files flashed from recovery need to be a zip file.
No problem, drag over and that's it; check!
B&N market is not the same as Google Market. Paid apps will need to be repurchased if you still need them. The work-around would be to root your rom, back them up with Titanium Backup, install CM7, install Titanium Backup again and restore your apps (just apps + apps data, not green or red items). The roms are not compatible so if you install system items, you'll create problems.

That's no big deal, she has a few games that might even be free on the android market; they like to charge for things that are free elsewhere (which is another reason I rooted). She sees her friends with Fire's getting all these free games and wants a piece of that. I explained to her that the fire is inferior and her's can be rooted:D
As I understand it, if I download the nook app through the market her books will come back upon signing in; right?
Thanks again,
Pat

Upvote 0
Books purchased thru B&N should be available on any device with the B&N app installed. There will be some minor features missing, but they will still be available.

I know the "talking book" thing is unavailable but she's too old for that anyway. I have nook on my ipad and if it looks like that, we're good.

Thanks a lot for your help!

Upvote 0
Alright, I was unable to get the 16GB CWM file to flash onto my 16GB card. I tried 1, 2, 8, 16 GB and none would get past the errors. Based on your instructions, I tried TWRP 2 and was able to flash. I have successfully booted into TWRP 2 on the NC but do not know what options to choose (based on the CWM instructions; menu choices are not the same). I cannot seem to find directions for TWRP and don't want to make any mistakes. I know I need to format the nook, but not sure how to do all that.
I used the Download SD card image from their site and did exactly what it said; boots perfectly. I just need to know what to do next.

UPDATE: I got it to work by using the "wipe" function" to get rid of both cache's and the system. It installed and booted to resemble an android tablet (as well as all my daughter's B&N apps for some reason).
Now I am having trouble with an error:
The process android.process.media has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again.
Then I am forced to force close. It continues to pop up over and over again. I also can't connect to the market. When I open it, I keep getting the same error. Then it will go to "loading" for awhile and hangs.
Thanks again in advance!
Pat

Upvote 0
OK, I got it! I followed the instructions here android.process.media "has stopped unexpectedly - CyanogenMod Forum
My problem was clearing the cache before and not restoring after installing the CM7 and Gapps. I reflashed and then reformatted as the link suggests and it appears I am set.
FWIW in case it helps people, the touch based min-SD card thing is very easy once you know which menus to pick.
Thanks so much,
Pat

Upvote 0
Every CM rom is rooted. :D

Yup, just open settings... cyanogenmod settings... performance... and change the 800 to 1200. Don't change the governor to performance since that just sets your min speed to the fastest and you'll burn thru a battery in hours. Check the "boot" checkbox when you're done.

Upvote 0
Yes. I Used the term restore instead of format. I thought it was sufficient to clear the cache and system via the menus and as you said, I forgot to hit the format button after installing gapps and CM7.
It's working perfectly now; just need to get used to the UI of android given that we are used to iOS. This root makes me want to get one of these too.
Thanks,
Pat

Upvote 0
More info here: http://androidforums.com/nookcolor-all-things-root/484608-rom-unofficial-cm9-ics-nightly-builds.html

My wife hosed her sdcard so I have her NC to play with for a few weeks while I try to move her old data to the new card. :D So I might play with it.

Can't tell you how stable or what does/does not work, but you can ask there or read the thread.

If you create a backup in recovery you should be able to save your current config, play with it and decide which you like best. Make sure you format data when installing CM9 or any other different rom. I don't believe Rom Manager has these unofficial nightly builds yet so you'll have to download and flash.

Upvote 0
So, as I said I got the first unit up and running great with TWRP. Sadly, when I boot into TWRP on the second unit the touch screen is unresponsive. I rebooted into stock and the touchscreen works. Not sure what is happening or doing wrong; I did the exact same thing I did with the first unit. Any ideas other than trying the button based root?
EDIT: I ended up doing it with the CMW 8GB image; for some reason the 16GB one would fit on my 16GB card.
I may get one of those new $199 tablets for myself just to root!
Thanks,
Pat

Upvote 0
I followed the instructions step by step and everything went great. First time using CM7 and love it. I have a doubt with my partitions. I can see my SD Card, Internal Storage (5GB), /mnt/emmc (1GB) and /mnt/usbdisk (Unavailable Size). What is the purpose of those last two partitions? Did I do something wrong when installing? Is there any one of those partitions that can be used or merged with the internal storage? Thanks everyone...

Also, when I connect my NC via USB to my Mac, it only mounts the SD and the emmc, not the Internal Storage which is the largest one. How can I fix this?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones