[Guide] How to make a bootable CWM (ClockWorkMod) or TWRP bootable sd card (06-04-2013)

1. TheWizard9011

TheWizard9011 New Member

Is this for macintosh or windows? I dont want to brick my NC:confused::confused help please
  2. colchiro

colchiro Well-Known Member

Actually this is a Windows guide. You can use dd to write the files to your sdcard. This guide might help with the "dd" command. I'd be happy to update all my guides to Mac friendly if someone can tell me what's needed.

It's pretty hard to brick your NC using this guide. Worst you can do is create a sdcard that won't boot. :D
  3. colchiro

I updated the original post to 3.2.0.1 versions, eliminating the extra steps of updating individual files from a downloaded zip. Let me know if you have any issues.

I'll add the TWRP images soon. :D
    jtpryan likes this.
  4. jtpryan

jtpryan Well-Known Member

This seems to be working great. I am using a 2Gb card to do the boot and backup. The backup has been going now for over an hour. How long does it normally take?
  5. colchiro

Should only take about 5 minutes. :D

Each backup is about 1 gb, did you run out of space?
  6. 456heinbach

456heinbach New Member

ok I did everything in post 1, put sd card into nook, powered on, now it has the skull/crossbones and says loading. It has been stuck on this for 10 mins. help please
  7. colchiro

Time to start over. Skull and cross bones is ok, but something else isn't working.

What image did you use (size) and was it CWM or TWRP? I just updated this today so it's possible there's a problem with the image. The 3.2.0.8 image WILL work, but needs to be updated to 3.2.0.1 (post 3)
  8. 456heinbach

456heinbach New Member

The image was the 4gb cwm. I'm going to start over and see if it works thanks.
  9. jtpryan

Hmmm, over 2 hours and still going...

This can't be right.
  10. colchiro

Power it off, insert it in your computer and see how full it is.
  11. jtpryan

How could I tell? The file names are changing, albeit slowly. Maybe I'll kill it an throw in a 16gb card for just the backup.

-Jim
  12. 456heinbach

456heinbach New Member

Which TWRP file do I download? When I click the link for the 4gb TWRP there are alot of different downloads, which one do I choose?
    The first one I downloaded wouldn't extract, just kept saying error.
  13. colchiro

You can download from any site. If one link doesn't work, try another one.
  14. colchiro

Is this a new sdcard?

What brand/speed is it?

If they're changing, it sounds like it's still working but it sounds like a goofy/defective/failing card.

You can boot off this card, then swap cards, then create your backup.
  15. optimusv45

optimusv45 Well-Known Member

magaupload was down when i tried to download the 4gb bootable cwm 3.2.0.1 sd card image ... can u please tell me where else i can find that ? thank you.
  16. Grey1001

Grey1001 Well-Known Member

17. Thats

Thats That guy is This VIP Member

Multiupload is down aswell. Any other links to 8Gb CWM?
  18. Thats

Thanks so much! <3
  19. Thats

Any chance you have the stock 1.3 software? That isn't available either and my girlfriend's nook is currently a BRICK. :(
  20. colchiro

I have it, but it's going to take awhile and not sure if it resumes if interrupted.

You can do wonders with a bootable sdcard and wiping data, & caches. :D

You also have the 8 failed boots you can try if it's the stock rom.
  21. Thats

Got 1.4.1 on it. So phew.
  22. jian10

jian10 New Member

I got my Nook Color (16GB) yesterday. The software version is 1.4.1.

I followed steps in post 1 to created a CWMR SD card and here's what I did:

1. Downloaded 2GB bootable cwm 3.2.0.1 SD card image;
    2. Wrote the image to a 2GB Kingston MicroSD card with Win32DiskImage. I waited until the progress bar reached all the way to 100% and "Done" showed up at lower left corner.
    3. Ejected SD card from PC, power off NC, insert SD card, power on, and my Nook booted right into the stock rom but not the CWM recovery menu.

Help please.

P.S. There are four files in the flashed SD card :
    mlo
    u-boot.bin
    uImage
    uRamdisk

The used space is only 4.5MB. This is weird since the image itself is about 1.8GB.

23. chocophile

chocophile Well-Known Member

If it has 16GB, you probably have a Nook Tablet,not a Nook Color. They look VERY similar, but are completely different pieces.
    colchiro likes this.
  24. jacks766

jacks766 Member

Well just answered all my questions also... The box mine came in says Nook Color...
    Checked model number and it is in fact a Nook Tablet.... :confused: