• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [guide] How to manually downgrade firmware build 6.01.605.05 and newer

DINC 2 running 2.3.4, software 6.04.605.0710RD

Issue: Gained root via HTCDEV flashed a bad version of CWM and the phone has a wifi error and wont dial out. Figured if I downgraded to a stock RUU and Radio the problem would be fixed and I could also gain S-Off...:)

Used method 2- everything works perferctly untill I get to flashing the RUU and keep receiving this error...

C:\miniadb_inc2>fastboot flash zip RUU_Vivo_W_Gingerbread_S_VERIZON_WWE_2.18.605.3_Ra dio_1.zip"
sending 'zip' (292817 KB)...
OKAY [338.182s]
writing 'zip'...
(bootloader) adopting the signature contained in this image...
(bootloader) signature checking...
FAILED (remote: not allowed)
finished. total time: 377.460s

Has anyone else had this issue? Recommendations, troubleshooting would be greatly appreicated.

Upvote 0
Scotty85,

Thank you for being so helpful with so many rooting the Incredible 2. It still run's chillybeans ROMs great! What a machine.

I am rooting another one (3rd as a music machine for family member) and I have .97 hboot and have the 2.3.3 rom properly flashed. Yet, when I run revolutionary, all it says is "Waiting for device..." And yes, ADB is on and adb devices shows devices. And yes, I deinstalled and then reinstalled the proper 0.0.7....driver package. I never had any problems on my other 3 Incredible 2s until now.

Any help appreciated. I guess I could try another computer. I am using windows but this computer worked the last two times and properly communicates with other HTC devices (Rezound). No HTC Sync software etc on the machine.

Update: tried another computer and it still would not do anything. I suppose that if I cannot do this S-Off method that I could HTCDev Unlock correct?

They I could fastboot flash the components I need. Ugh.

Is there a downside to HTCDev Unlock?

Thank you in advance!

Upvote 0
Scotty85,

Thank you for being so helpful with so many rooting the Incredible 2. It still run's chillybeans ROMs great! What a machine.

I am rooting another one (3rd as a music machine for family member) and I have .97 hboot and have the 2.3.3 rom properly flashed. Yet, when I run revolutionary, all it says is "Waiting for device..." And yes, ADB is on and adb devices shows devices. And yes, I deinstalled and then reinstalled the proper 0.0.7....driver package. I never had any problems on my other 3 Incredible 2s until now.

Any help appreciated. I guess I could try another computer. I am using windows but this computer worked the last two times and properly communicates with other HTC devices (Rezound). No HTC Sync software etc on the machine.

Update: tried another computer and it still would not do anything. I suppose that if I cannot do this S-Off method that I could HTCDev Unlock correct?

They I could fastboot flash the components I need. Ugh.

Is there a downside to HTCDev Unlock?

Thank you in advance!

sorry for the late response :eek:

you do have usb debugginfg checked,fastboot unchecked,correct?

first thing i would try is a factory reset from hboot(its all stock,correct?) and see if that changes anything. failing that,id maybe try and redownload the revolutionary tool. turn off any antivirus and firewalls as they may detect the operation as some sort of an attack. you could also try running the downgrade ruu a second time,and another factory reset.

failing all the above,here are some other basic troubleshooting tips:
troubleshooting connectivity issues:
*make sure you have changed to your adb/fastboot directory!
-try a reboot of the PC
-try different usb cables and ports
-dont use a usb hub
-dont use usb 3.0
-make sure nothing capable of comunicating with the phone is enabled and running. htc sync,pdanet,easy tether,and even itunes have all been known to cause issues.
-windows 8 has been known to have issues. try a windows 7 or older machine

failing the above,
-i use these drivers for fastboot and adb(donwload and run as admin): http://downloads.unrevoked.com/HTCDriver3.0.0.007.exe (mirror)

failing that,try manually updating the drivers in the following manner:
-put the phone in fastboot mode(select fastboot from the hboot menu)
-open device manager on the PC
-plug in phone,watch for it to pop up in device manager.
-update drivers with device manager,pointing the wizard to the extracted
driver download folder from above

note that you can check the connectivity of the phone,and make sure drivers are working by in the following manner:
-open cmd window. change to directory containing adb/fastboot utilities

-adb with the phone in the booted OS,usb debug enabled,enter:
adb devices in a cmd window

-fastboot with phone in fastboot(not hboot!),enter:
fastboot devices in cmd window

in either case,a properly connected phone with working drivers installed should report back the phones serial number.

hopefully something above gets you sorted... it is odd that adb would recognize the device but not the tool.

as a last resort,you could create an ubuntu live cd(drivers not needed in linux- windows is notriously sensitive to driver issues and other things running on the PC) and try running revolutionary in ubuntu.

i would definately try and avoid utcdev unlock as a permanent solution,as rom flashing is more of a pain,and you do not have access to other partitions,and the phone is still doing lots of security checks,wich can make recovery difficult to impossible in the event of soft bricks.

Upvote 0
To get s-off you have to relock first.
07.jpg

Upvote 0
To get s-off you have to relock first.
07.jpg

I appreciate the comment. However, I have never unlocked. It is a stock S-On Hboot 0.97.0000 with 2.3.3 loaded. Revolutionary will not see my device.

Do you know linux? I thought I would just click on 'revolutionary' that was extracted from the archive but it says I need to have an application to run it. I thought it was an application. Using Ubuntu Live...

Upvote 0
For those searching......problem solved.

It seems that clockworkmod's new backup software called Helium (formerly Carbon) loads its own HTC device driver. It was conflicting with the 'My HTC' driver which works appropriately.

With that solved, all went well. I had to go to device manager and manually update the device driver to the correct one.

Thank you!!!!

Say what phone do you have these days Scotty85?

Upvote 0
For those searching......problem solved.

It seems that clockworkmod's new backup software called Helium (formerly Carbon) loads its own HTC device driver. It was conflicting with the 'My HTC' driver which works appropriately.

With that solved, all went well. I had to go to device manager and manually update the device driver to the correct one.

Thank you!!!!

Say what phone do you have these days Scotty85?

awsome! glad you are sorted,and thanks for sharing the solution,good info on helium. ill file that one away for future reference :)

i mostly use an international one x during work,and in the evenings my "fun phone" is an htc one :cool:

Reactions: weaverinva
Upvote 0
Hello:

I have been following this thread . Before I intend to root my phone I have a few questions (sorry I very new to this)

1- Once I complete the root procedure, will my phone work without flashing any special ROM? My understanding is that I will be in Android 2.3.3 and some recovery ROM? Basically, will this ROM be usable after rooting?

2- I am in the Verizon network but not under Verizon. I assuming that I will never lose root or S-OFF because it can do OTA updates?

3- Is it possible to go back to 2.3.4 after I root?

thank you

Upvote 0
Hello:

I have been following this thread . Before I intend to root my phone I have a few questions (sorry I very new to this)

1- Once I complete the root procedure, will my phone work without flashing any special ROM? My understanding is that I will be in Android 2.3.3 and some recovery ROM? Basically, will this ROM be usable after rooting?
as bberry said,youll be in froyo. its perfectly usable,but outdated,id recomend to update somehow.

2- I am in the Verizon network but not under Verizon. I assuming that I will never lose root or S-OFF because it can do OTA updates?
not sure what you meen in the vzw network,but not under vzw. OTA updates will replace the system files with new ones,breaking root,so root access will have to be restored after each OTA.

a word on OTAs- they can only be taken when the stock recovery is in place,so if you install a permant custom recovery,you cannot take them.

other conditions must be met as well,in general,it is not a good idea to take OTAs. you can update by flashing a new custom rom when updates come out.

3- Is it possible to go back to 2.3.4 after I root?

thank you

yes,you can go back to 2.3.4. the best way is to flash a rom,then flash the new radio as described in the first post.

another option is to not allow revolutionary to install a recovery. after you have the s-off bootloader,you can allow the phone to OTA to current. :)

Upvote 0
I am on a verizon MVNO , so OTA updates are not possible ( as far as I know)

yes,you can go back to 2.3.4. the best way is to flash a rom,then flash the new radio as described in the first post.

another option is to not allow revolutionary to install a recovery. after you have the s-off bootloader,you can allow the phone to OTA to current. :)

Just be clear, the custom recovery (after rooting) is not a ROM as you defined above to be able to flash a new radio ?

where will I get the v2.3.4 to go back to ? I may not understand how to go back if I already downgraded 2.3.3

Can you indicate exactly the step number where to flash the new radio is ? (any special radio?)

I am not interested so much in features of a new ROM , stability is the main point unless you can tell me what benefits does a new ROM provides?
For me the only reason to root is to minimize data usage and maximize battery life.
Can you give a link to a procedure to install and the best stable ROM?

thank you very much

Upvote 0
I am on a verizon MVNO , so OTA updates are not possible ( as far as I know)

Just be clear, the custom recovery (after rooting) is not a ROM as you defined above to be able to flash a new radio ?
the custom recovery is used to make and restore backups,and flash roms.

where will I get the v2.3.4 to go back to ? I may not understand how to go back if I already downgraded 2.3.3
you can look on forums such as XDA for roms,or ask in the forums here. if you use the htcdev unlock method for temp root,you can also make a backup of your stock rom,that you can restore after the process is finished

Can you indicate exactly the step number where to flash the new radio is ? (any special radio?)
the radio is included in the download. if you follow the directions,you will check its md5 and make sure its is safe to flash.

the specific steps to flash it are at the end and start with: if you need to flash the 0312 radio: ;)

I am not interested so much in features of a new ROM , stability is the main point unless you can tell me what benefits does a new ROM provides?
For me the only reason to root is to minimize data usage and maximize battery life.
Can you give a link to a procedure to install and the best stable ROM?

thank you very much

theres lots of info on the forums on how to flash a rom,thats a bit beyond the scope of this thread,as is the "best" rom. the inc 2 hasnt been my daily driver for a looooong time,so im pretty out of touch with available roms.

your best bet here is to search this forum,and start new threads if you have questions or dont find the info youre looking for :)

Upvote 0
Hello

Hello again : I edit my post since I solve most problems.

I am now stuck in the loop mode

The part I don't get is my screen is Hboot ( I think). It is highlighted in Blu in the middle of the screen by itself.

There are 6 option to choose with the volume buttons

If I select FAstboot and press power button no fastboot gets highlighted in red where Hboot used to be

Fastboot
recovery
factory reset
Hboot usb
image CRC

I I highlight fastboot , the options are:
bootloader
reboot
reboot bootloader
power down

Since your instruction do not say to select any those options, I assume I just stay in fastboot

The problem is that the USB connection tp PC goes away and I can't run the cmds you indicate.

Am I doing something wrong?

thank you

Fastboot devices

Fastboot erase cache

Fastboot OEM rebootRUU

Upvote 0
Hi Again:

I solved my boot problem :) and now I am fully rooted and S-off

One comment in your instructions, if you get the in the loopmode, the instruction says to get into fastboot "should it be fastboot USB"?? otherwise, my usb connection does not work. Also, to get fastboot USB I need to select reboot bootloader from the Hboot menu first, otherwise it just got into fastboot (without the USb) and there is no connection to PC.

thank you very much.. now working into trying to flash 2.3.4 back if possible however, when we defined customs ROM do they mean flashing the version of the OS 2.3.4 or this version stays the same and the custom ROM is another section of the FW?

thank you again!!

Upvote 0
It's best to call it the Incredible 2 so we know what you are talking about. Droid is a Motorola product.

Start with GingerBangSense. Once you get comfortable with flashing a ROM you can try Android 4. It helps if you know the naming convention. The Android OS names are alphabetical. Cupcake, Donut, Eclair, Froyo, Gingerbread, Ice Cream Sandwich, Jelly Bean, Key Lime Pie.

Upvote 0
Hello:
if I take another Incredible 2 and just do "unlock using htcdev"
with SU, will I be able to download APPs like Droidfirewall or AdBlocker etc? (assume that I don't care about custom ROMs)

It seems to me the only reason to unlock is to have superuser access that allows all these Apps to install. In addition allows an easy way to S-off if desired. Is my understanding correct?

thank you

Upvote 0
I noticed my hboot version is 6.13.1002 instead of 0.97
I am S-off

Did I do something go wrong?
Android v2.3.3
HTC sense 2.1
software 2.18.605.3
PRI 1.94.002
PRL
ERI

Baseband 1.09.01.0312

booloder screen says:
Revolutionary
VIVO_W XB SHIP S-OFF RL
HBOOT -6.13.1002
Radio 1.09.01.0312
eMMC boot

Another question: during unlock with htcdev I did a backup of my stock ROM as suggested.

I have a folder in my SD card nandroid with
boot.img
cache.img
data.img
nandroid.md5
system.img

If this is my backup ROM 2.3.4, how do I flash this back ?

thank you

thanks

Reactions: scotty85
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones