[GUIDE] How To Receive OTAs Again If You Are On A Leak

1. ItsASamsung

ItsASamsung Well-Known Member

Found this guide on Android Forums:

Advertisement
  2. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian VIP Member

For all interested, this is an expanded version of what I did to revert from 5.7.893 to 5.5.886 (bricked) so I could apply 5.5.893 and be on the upgrade path again as well as be fully functional (i.e. have no more flash failed error).

Also, the guide is actually from rootz wiki, posted in the same thread I referenced in another thread when I first reported that I had reverted.
  3. amageus

amageus Well-Known Member

Your dropbox link to the radio.zip has "androidforums.com" in the beginning in the url which needs to be removed in order to correctly download the zip ;)
  4. p8ntballah21

p8ntballah21 Well-Known Member

sweet!!!!!

I have a few questions tho:

Do I need the SDK installed to do this?

Also, should we revert back to a stock 5.5.886 system before doing any of this? I have heard some people have had issues because apps like zumo cast had been removed. Currently my phone doesn't have it either. I should probably use DL's root tool to get back to 886 before attempting this to be safe.
  5. marine one

marine one Well-Known Member

OutOfPhase likes this.
  6. mb66

mb66 New Member

Thanks--been looking for this.
  7. fyrmd

fyrmd Well-Known Member

2 questions: Do we need to unfreeze all apps before starting, do we need to unroot before starting.

Thanks!
  8. johnlgalt

R3l34s3d r00t flashes the stock 5.5.886 onto your phone. Iow, it formats /system and then extracts the stock system image and places it on your phone. So, it won't care what you have frozen or not, as all of /system gets formatted.

Same with root, since root is in /system.

Just follow the steps carefully, and be aware that this will temporarily brick your phone, and if you are not careful, could permanently brick it.
  9. fyrmd

fyrmd Well-Known Member

This scares me a bit. I might just stay where I am at for awhile and see how everything plays out. My phone is working pretty well on 5.7.

Thanks for the info John.
  10. johnlgalt

It was meant to. Unlike the rooting process, which is much less harmless, this process forces a kernel version back onto your phone, but we don't have a way of reverting the updated bootloader, so it throws a boot failure. Fortunately, stock recovery still works, so you can flash any of the 5.5.886 based updates. The problem is that, if you don't pre-verify that the update file you're about to flash, and you flash, say, the 999 mini update, you have a permanent boot failure, afaict, but this may be fix able, we just haven't seen anyone do it successfully, yet.

My advice is to remove all of the updates you may have on your sdcard first, so that using these steps you have only the files linked. Then the process has much less chance to fail.
  11. mbtech

mbtech Member

12. amageus

amageus Well-Known Member

I went from a leaked 5.7.893 udpate with apps frozen/removed and never even bothered to fzx revert to 886. I just left my phone the way it was and just proceeded to do the revert. I had no hiccup along the way. Currently rocking 5.9.901. I ran all the updates before setting up my google account.
  13. ItsASamsung

Quote from the OP:

14. ItsASamsung

Quote from OP:

OutOfPhase likes this.
  15. johnlgalt

P3 had also written a one click app to accomplish this now, making this almost foolproof
  16. ItsASamsung

This is nice however personally I like to do everything manually. That way I know exactly what is going on at any given moment. What am I learning if I'm just running a bunch of automated scripts? Not to deny that it isn't useful but I guess it's more for people who aren't interested in doing the work themselves. Either way I'm happy to see there's a lot of support for this. A method for everyone to choose. :)
  17. marine one

marine one Well-Known Member

John, any idea where we might find this 1 click app?
    Thanks
  18. OutOfPhase

OutOfPhase Premium Member Guide

Probably at mydroidworld.com somewhere. If I find a link I will post it.
  19. goldz28

goldz28 Well-Known Member

johnlgalt and OutOfPhase like this.
  20. johnlgalt

Yeah, while that's nice, I was one of the first to do this - you cannot get any more manual than that.

An added benefit is that there is a lot less troubleshooting with people who inadvertently mistype a command and mess things up....not everyone realizes that you can copy / paste the commands to minimize error, and one missing letter can cause anything from a minor inconvenience to a major disaster....

I'm all about manual method myself. However, i'm not the only user on this forum, and I don't own threads. Rhett info is for everyone.
  21. p8ntballah21

p8ntballah21 Well-Known Member

I could not get the one click method from p3 to work. I kept getting a different error each time I tried.

i found this method here:

Get to 5.5.893 OTA from ANY LEAK - RootzWiki

It worked great. Back onto the path with rooted 5.5.893!!!! I have learned my lesson. I am staying far away from 901 or any other leaks or soak tests!
    AurJohn likes this.
  22. jestexman

jestexman Well-Known Member

Hey John i am on the other end of this and prefer the one-click method because i know i will fat finger something :)

How do you feel about this
    Bionic Path Saver 1-Click Method
    Seems safe to me.. What do you think? Im about to run it.. I just dont want to spend all day jacking around with command line stuff..
  23. jestexman

Ahh never-mind i rant the one-click with no problems.. I did stop at 5.5.893 though.. It took awhile but my phone is back on the OTA path.
  24. OutOfPhase

OutOfPhase Premium Member Guide

What where you on before you started? Just to get an idea where everybody's starting point is.
  25. jestexman

OutOfPhase likes this.