• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Guide] How to Root the Samsung Galaxy S5

eriktuz

Lurker
May 3, 2014
By rooting (aka gaining admin rights to) your Samsung Galaxy S5, you can install a custom ROM, run rooted apps, undervolt or overclock the processor and even remove all the bloatware your carrier put on the phone. A popular programmer from the XDA developer forums named Chainfire has created an exploit to gain root on several different versions of the Galaxy S5 including the T-Mobile, Sprint, and various international models (unfortunately, there

Reactions: smith058
After rooting my phone like you have done. When I try to go into download mode again to install Philz recovery mode, I get a screen like this instead of the download mode screen, how do I get back to download mode screen?

http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/UvD6ZCENlJA/maxresdefault.jpg
For download mode you need the press and hold (volume down + home key + power) at the same time...

holding (volume up + home key + power) will sends you to recovery

Upvote 0
So this file can be used to root boost mobile phone even though the files are for sprint s5?

Boost mobile and sprint have the same model phone so most things are interchangeable... so yes following sprints root method will work on boost.

I too am on boost mobile and I have created a thread dedicated for boost mobile if you would like to check it out, however I haven't updated it in like a month

http://androidforums.com/showthread.php?t=850449
[SM-G900P] Find a -link- to what you need here

Upvote 0
After rooting my phone like you have done. When I try to go into download mode again to install Philz recovery mode, I get a screen like this instead of the download mode screen, how do I get back to download mode screen?

http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/UvD6ZCENlJA/maxresdefault.jpg

I think you might be pressing the volume button in the wrong direction. one way is for recovery the other is for download mode..

Upvote 0
Hoy can í root my Phone

Thank you for your post.

There are currently 42 different models of the Samsung Galaxy S5 and over 4,000 different stock Samsung firmware versions, worldwide, covering 7 different Android platforms, Android 4.4.2, Android 4.4.4, Android 5.0, Android 5.0.1, Android 5.0.2, Android 5.1.1 and Android 6.0.1. Not all issues will affect all models or firmware releases and your answers to the following questions will help in the forum's answers to your specific query.

#1. Could you post your Model number and Android version...

To locate these, go to...

Settings > More > About device > Model number and Android version

This will give you the model of Samsung Galaxy S5 that you have and which Android version you are on.

#2. Your current Firmware, (not just Baseband), version .

To locate your current firmware version, go to the stock, Samsung, dial pad and type in...

*#1234#

This will give you your, "Version", details in full, usually 3 lines of information, AP: CP: CSC:, which may all be relevant.

*** If code *#1234# has been disabled on your firmware, you can download and install, free from the Play Store, Phone Info and it will give you, under Firmware... PDA, CSC and Baseband, versions as well as your Product code under the CSC CODE heading.

Thanks. The above helps us to help you and hopefully someone will be able to reply to you shortly. :)

For more information, see, 42 Galaxy S5 models - Dummies Guide

(TIP If you are a poster it is a good idea to mention your model number and firmware version in case this has a bearing on your problem.

Better still, if you have 25+ posts to your name, you can go to the black bar at the top of this forum and click on your
Username, which will show a drop down menu. Just select, "Signature", and you can enter in the signature box the details of your phone, i.e. - "Galaxy S5 G900F".This ensures that your device details are shown in every post you make. You can update this as often as you like and will help other users immediately identify your phone and firmware.)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones