1. Welcome to the newer, better version of Android Forums! Be sure to see the announcement and enjoy checking it out!

Some of you have been having login issues. - Please try now. Sorry for the trouble!
  2. All attachments uploaded on the first day of this new look need to be re-uploaded, or will appear broken. All prior to that, and all going forward, should work fine. We apologize for the inconvenience!

[Guide] How to root the Wildfire S with S-ON

1. CafeKampuchia

CafeKampuchia Well-Known Member

NOTE: This tutorial is for rooting the HTC Wildfire S by unlocking the phone

Advertisement
  2. user1829

user1829 Member

sounds good! but will this work for a A510B as well?
  3. CafeKampuchia

Since the A510b is a GSM phone similar to the A510e it will work. However, the radios are different (frequency issue) so avoid flashing the radio with an A510e ROM.

The important thing is the part number (behind the battery). My A510e is part# PG76100 and I used the corresponding generic EU HBOOT update for that part. I read somewhere that the A510b is part number PG76120. (You'll need to verify that for yourself.) If so, there is an HBOOT update for you at HTC dev, but it may have a different country/brand than your phone.

Also, check out this post: ERROR [191] ROM IS NOT SUPPORTED , my wait seems endless - xda-developers. His method will get you past the first half of step 2 above, which is the hardest part. It's a little complicated, but I had to go through the same process because HTC has not released the Asia-flavored PG76100 HBOOT update. Thus I forced the EU HBOOT and everything went fine. ;)
  4. cyclonus00210

cyclonus00210 New Member

I don't see a T-mobile US file there... Damn, I really want to root this thing...
  5. CafeKampuchia

What's the model number of your phone? It will be under the battery and look like PG76X00.

Are you running 2.3.5 yet?
    logard and moustafaatchy like this.
  6. siddharthmani

siddharthmani Member

can u please tell me if in this processs there is a possibility of bricking the phone??and also a list of custom roms available for the wildfire s after rooting would be very helpful!!
  7. CafeKampuchia

From what I understand (I could be wrong) it would be hard to brick the phone with S-ON. I've not yet heard of someone bricking a phone with this method.

As for a list of custom ROMs, you have basically the following (use google to see previews):

• HTC Sense stock ROM
    • HTC Sense modified ROMs (modifications vary by developer, with or without HTC Sense)
    • Cyanogen 7.2 stable unsupported
    • Cyanogen 7.2 nightly (not yet perfected)

I'm using Cyanogen 7.2 and I really like it. I won't be going back to HTC stock/Sense ROM any time soon. More info here:
    [INDEX] roms/recovery/guides/kernel/root/...

moustafaatchy likes this.
  8. fyerwyer

fyerwyer Member

Confirmed working with Australian Telstra Wildfire-S (S-On).

My phone is now European 2.3.5 RUU, unlocked hboot, rooted.

I did hit a couple of stumbling blocks along the way, but the links in the OP to XDA forums have got some solutions.
    CafeKampuchia likes this.
  9. CafeKampuchia

Congrats! Now run out and get yourself Clockworkmod Recovery v5.0.2.6 and the Android Superuser app. Then check out this thread for all the cool things you can do with a rooted WFS.
  10. gusta

gusta New Member

hello! I am new to android and wildfire s is my first phone.. so I read this tutorial,and i think it says I need to update hboot to root or i don,t need to update hboot if I allready have S-ON version.

Question is do I need to update hboot if I all ready have S-ON phone?
    Can I skip hboot unlocking?
  11. CafeKampuchia

I think you are misunderstanding. To root the phone, you either need S-OFF or an unlocked bootloader. Since your phone is S-ON, you must unlock your bootloader which requires updating your HBOOT per step 2 of the guide.
    moustafaatchy and gusta like this.
  12. CafeKampuchia

The guide has been expanded and vastly improved, especially for those having trouble updating their bootloader. I've also tacked on a section for what to do once root is achieved to cover the basics.
  13. thecreeper77

thecreeper77 Member

Hi guys, I'm having a little problem.

I have unlocked the bootloader on the phone and have (I think) rooted the phone. My problem now is that when I try to drop into cwm recovery it shows a screen with the phone and a big red triangle?

I'm really stuck on what I have done wrong, can anyone help?
  14. Near

Near New Member

Hi, thecreeper77.

I don't understand if you have rooted or not your mobile phone. Why aren't you sure for this activity?

Could you also send us a picture of what your screen shows?
  15. CafeKampuchia

What error message do you get with the red triangle? What have you done since unlocking the bootloader? Did you install CWM recovery? If so, how? What ROM are you using? And please confirm root. If you don't know how, use Google. There are lots of ways.
  16. thecreeper77

thecreeper77 Member

Hi guys, really sorry I have not replied sooner. I am Pretty sure it has been rooted as superuser is running, the main problem I am having is when it comes to flashing cwm recovery, as it doesn't give an option for the wildfire s, only the wildfire.

I will post pics a little later when I get home, just to show you what the screen looks like.

Thanks for your help and patience, really appreciate it!
  17. CafeKampuchia

How did you try to install cwm recovery? Did you use eoghan2t7's installer over at XDA or did you try to install it yourself some other way?
    moustafaatchy and thecreeper77 like this.
  18. CafeKampuchia

Near, BTW congrats on getting your bootloader unlocked and phone rooted!! :cool: Be sure to let us know what you've done with it since.
  19. siddharthmani

siddharthmani Member

Sorry for again asking this...I want to know if rooting by this method my sd card contents will be deleted.? And whether I have to install all the apps again on my phone? That is if data on my phone will be deleted?
  20. CafeKampuchia

As stated in the guide, yes you will do a factory reset (potentially twice) during the procedure. You must back up your data if its valuable to you. There are apps on Android Market for backing up and restoring apps. The procedure should not alter the contents of your SD card, but I'd back it up just to be safe.
  21. fyerwyer

fyerwyer Member

For me this was the hardest step, and I can confirm to others reading this that the flashing ROM from your MicroSDHC does work.

I just want to confirm something with OP (CafeKampuchia). CafeKampuchia, when I did this step I found it was necessary to use the Asia RUU, because the Europe RUU only had 1 zip inside.

Also, within the Aisa RUU there were 2 zips (rom_1.zip and rom_2.zip), and I was instructed to exectute rom_1.zip on the SDcard first (this one just updates the radio), and then rom_2.zip (which updates radio and hboot). Not sure if this info is valid for everyone, but it did 100% work for me. Let me know if things have changed recently (maybe the Europe RUU was updated) and I can edit out this post (to avoid confusion).

Thanks again for the kick-ass guide.
    jubair07 and CafeKampuchia like this.
  22. CafeKampuchia

Thanks for the heads up. Did you use the "HTC Asia India" RUU? I don't see a pure "HTC Asia" on the list. When I did it the HTC European RUU (PG7610000_Marvel_hboot_1.08.0099_20111216.exe) had both, the one that updates the HBOOT being rom_2.zip as it seems to have been the case with your Asian RUU. I'm curious to know which European RUU you tried that only had one.

Thanks again for the positive feedback on the guide! :)
    fyerwyer likes this.
  23. fyerwyer

fyerwyer Member

On the HTC site now, its showing as "HTC EU 2.12.401.2", but maybe its been update since I first followed you guide.... (?)

The one which worked fine was "HTC Asia India 2.13.720.1".

It seems all this is a moot point now anyways since you have tested EU to be working. Good news for all. HTC did a darn good thing by facilitating us to enjoy our S-ON phones.

Oh and PS. Strange thing happened when experimenting. My hboot screen started reporting as "S-OFF". Is this even possible that it was accurate, or just a display glitch? After executing rom_1.zip + rom_2.zip its now back to displaying "S-ON". Not important at all, just a curiosoty (I saw another user report same anomaly). Cheers again.
    CafeKampuchia likes this.
  24. thecreeper77

thecreeper77 Member

No I didn't use that method, but i just have and it is now working!!

Thank you very much for your help, really appreciate it.
  25. CafeKampuchia

And possibly different since I rooted my phone, which is why I didn't mention RUU version numbers in the guide.

BTW, what HBOOT version do you have now, same as the European, H-BOOT-1.08.0099? If it's different I'd like to mention it in the guide.

Agreed! Thanks, HTC!

Strange... I'm guessing glitch. Too bad it didn't stay S-OFF! :)