• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [GUIDE] How to Root the Wildfire S

so as yet, still no software means to S-Off?

You could also try this: [DEV]Possible S-OFF Without XTC-Clip v2 - xda-developers (just noticed that this morning).

I rooted my phone.
Did the SU update thing.
Everything's OK.
Now I only need help with the ROM thing :)
THANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOU

Glad you're rooted.

Seriously though, rather than me have a look at the ROMs available and choose one for you, make the choice yourself and at some point over the weekend, I'll see if I can write up the install guide for you.

Upvote 0
I'm not sure it will work unfortunately. Whilst it's not hard (you just connect the phone to the PC and run the RUU.exe), you have to be careful when running an RUU because if you try to flash non branded software on a carrier branded HTC device, it can cause problems. Have a look here for more info: http://androidforums.com/desire-hd-...d-bricked-tried-debrand-without-goldcard.html

Different handset, but I'm 99.99% sure the result would be the same.

In order to do it properly, you'd need to create a goldcard (a special type of SD Card which tricks the phone into accepting unbranded firmware). I'm not sure you get Wildfire S goldcards yet unfortunately.

Upvote 0
First of all, I'd like to thank chlinkchlink for finding out about some rooting instructions on XDA.cn. It has been a pain in the nuts to root this thing but it seems like the chinese folks over there were able to crack the thing. I am not the author of the script, I'm just putting all this together for everyone to enjoy. Also, thanks to the people of XDA.cn for their work.

I know GingerBreak works on some roms, but recent firmware versions have been fixed to not work with GingerBreak, one example is the Bell Canada firmware variant.

So far this method works on:

• Stock European ROMs (tested by sammyke007)
  • Bell Canada ROMs (tested by me)
  • Asian ROMs (tested by XDA.cn)
  • Waiting for confirmation on US roms.

Requirements:

What does it do?: The script will install the su binary, busybox and superuser on your phone.

Step 1: Flashing the Custom Recovery UI by XDA.cn

1. Again, make sure your device is S-OFF.
  2. Again, make sure your memory card is formatted FAT32.
  3. Place the PG76IMG.zip file into your phone SD card.
  4. Turn your phone off.
  5. Hold down the "power" button and the "volume down" button for a few seconds till you see the HBOOT screen.
  6. Don't press anything. The system will scan for some files and it will prompt you for an update. Move the cursor to OK (volume up) to start the flashing process.
  7. After it finishes, press the "power" button to restart the system.
  8. Let Android boot and delete the PG76IMG.zip file from your SD card.
  9. Congrats! Custom recovery has been installed. Process to step 2.

Step 2: Flashing the rooting script by XDA.cn

1. Copy the root.zip file into your phone SD card.
  2. Turn your phone off.
  3. Boot into recovery: Hold down the "power" button and the "volume down" button for a few seconds till you see the HBOOT screen. Let it do its thing and then select "RECOVERY".
  4. At the recovery menu, use the volume buttons to select "install zip from sd card".
  5. Then select "choose zip from sd card".
  6. Then find the "root.zip" file on the list.
  7. Select "YES".
  8. Let the script do its thing till you see "Install from sd card completed".
  9. Select "Go Back" on the menu till you find the "power off" option and select it.
  10. Turn your phone back on and let Android boot.

142357twb86rxtjvtejv8e.png

That's it. Superuser will be installed on the phone along with Busybox and the su binary. You will be able allow access to applications needing root permissions now.

Troubleshooting:

Q: Superuser force-closes when an application requests for root permissions.
R: It will not FC when the 1st app requests permissions, but will FC when a 2nd app does. It happened to me on the Bell Canada firmware. It can be fixed by clearing the Superuser application data and then running Superuser from the app drawer. It will request an update of the 'su' binary, and once installed, the error wont ocurr anymore. I guess I could definitely fix this by finding the su binary and packing it into root.zip, but I have no idea of where to find the latest version.

Source: [TUTORIAL][ROOT] How to root your HTC Wildfire S? - xda-developers

Enjoy!
Id like to thank you for your easy to use guide, but I have found a much simpiler way on CDMA phones. You must create a goldcard, use a file, and then a computer program, but i did it in easily 5 minutes. I have more tutorials here, come check it out if you want [WIP][KERNEL][ROM] Wildfire S Virgin Mobile USA - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com im moving it to androidforums soon

Upvote 0
Hello,
I'm new here and I joined just for this.
When I HBOOT my HTC Wildfire S,
It says
MARVEL PVT SHIP S-OFF RL
HBOOT- 1.03.0000
MICROP-0451
RADIO-7. 46. 35. 08
JUN 2 2011, 16: 17: 50

Does that mean my phone is S-OFF?
Please reply ASAP.

Thank You

How did you find out if your phone is s on or off?

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I have all my downloaded apps to my SDCard, but I still have only 21.69MB out of 150.00MB of space on my phone.

I have never rooted a phone, and not sure what to do.

i have ordered the XTC Clip device to S-OFF my phone and will be ROOTING it after that...

i will post up an idiots guide once done (i am n00b - so need to write the guide for myself to follow first!)

anyway's:

you can also go into 'Applications' and select 'Remove app' then select 'Sort by size' and your apps will be listed by size.

you can then go through the largest ones, and see the storage used (both for the App and the App's data).

if any App's have big amounts of Data - this can be cleared to make more space... but you might lose some information doing this!!!! so be judicious on which apps you clear...

but i found heaps of data taking up space in apps i don't even use or want...

i'm looking forwards to ROOTING so i can get rid of those apps altogether!

Upvote 0
Hi El Presidente.
I finally found something I want to flash on my phone.
It's this ROM by Jikantaru,
Here's the link: [ROM] Android 2.3.5 HTC_Europe_2.13.401.2 [Rooted][Apps2sd] - Fast Stable - xda-developers
I'd be grateful if you told me how to flash it.
I didn't bother asking on XDA 'cause they're really mean.

Sorry it's taken a while to get back to you.

Do you have Titanium Backup installed? That will allow you to backup all your apps and the data associated with them.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones