[GUIDE] How to Root the Wildfire S

Last Updated:

1. djhaye

djhaye New Member

hi..i want to try booting my wildfire S.. but im scared.. what if it failed.. will my phone still work ?

2. fahadmonster

fahadmonster Member

I got my phone rooted, thanks.
    Any help on the ROM thing?
    El Presidente
  3. fahadmonster

fahadmonster Member

And will my device unroot if I choose to delete all data on phone and memory card?
  4. fahadmonster

fahadmonster Member

SU binary update fails :(
  5. fahadmonster

fahadmonster Member

I rooted my phone.
    Did the SU update thing.
    Everything's OK.
    Now I only need help with the ROM thing :)
  6. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate! Moderator

You could also try this: [DEV]Possible S-OFF Without XTC-Clip v2 - xda-developers (just noticed that this morning).

Glad you're rooted.

Seriously though, rather than me have a look at the ROMs available and choose one for you, make the choice yourself and at some point over the weekend, I'll see if I can write up the install guide for you.
  7. fahadmonster

fahadmonster Member

Got this thing ^^

What do I do now?
  8. El Presidente

That looks to be a official ROM.

If you have a custom ROM on there and want to return your phone back under warranty, that's what you'd run to restore it to its original state.
  9. fahadmonster

fahadmonster Member

But I want to install this, because I have a telstra AU ROM, and it has all sorts of rubbish from big pond, which I don't want. AND it has weird telstra apps which take up space on my phone.

I unistalled them using root uninstall, but I still want a EU ROM,
    So, I need to know how to install this.
  10. El Presidente

I'm not sure it will work unfortunately. Whilst it's not hard (you just connect the phone to the PC and run the RUU.exe), you have to be careful when running an RUU because if you try to flash non branded software on a carrier branded HTC device, it can cause problems. Have a look here for more info: http://androidforums.com/desire-hd-...d-bricked-tried-debrand-without-goldcard.html

Different handset, but I'm 99.99% sure the result would be the same.

In order to do it properly, you'd need to create a goldcard (a special type of SD Card which tricks the phone into accepting unbranded firmware). I'm not sure you get Wildfire S goldcards yet unfortunately.
  11. fahadmonster

fahadmonster Member

I already downloaded it.
    Where can I get custom roms,
    and what is app2sd scripting?
  12. El Presidente

There's a list of ROMs here. Take a look and see what you like though.

Apps2SD is a way of forcing apps to install on the SD Card so the SD Card simulates internal memory.
  13. simonsimons34

simonsimons34 Rom & Kernel Developer Developer

Id like to thank you for your easy to use guide, but I have found a much simpiler way on CDMA phones. You must create a goldcard, use a file, and then a computer program, but i did it in easily 5 minutes. I have more tutorials here, come check it out if you want [WIP][KERNEL][ROM] Wildfire S Virgin Mobile USA - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com im moving it to androidforums soon
  14. reilus

reilus Well-Known Member

How did you find out if your phone is s on or off?
  15. reilus

reilus Well-Known Member

16. user1829

user1829 Member

hi, any updates?

is this for a Telstra A510B handset?

i really need to get rid of the Telstra bloatware to make this phone usable!
  17. johnseever

johnseever New Member

I have an HTC Wildfire S phone and I am running out of internal memory space. I want to move some apps on it form the phone to the SDCard, but I do not know how or what I need to do.

Can someone help me?

Thank you.
  18. user1829

user1829 Member

try using this App:

if that does not move enough apps to the SD card, you will need to ROOT it and install a custom ROM
  19. johnseever

johnseever New Member

20. user1829

user1829 Member

i have ordered the XTC Clip device to S-OFF my phone and will be ROOTING it after that...

i will post up an idiots guide once done (i am n00b - so need to write the guide for myself to follow first!)

you can also go into 'Applications' and select 'Remove app' then select 'Sort by size' and your apps will be listed by size.

you can then go through the largest ones, and see the storage used (both for the App and the App's data).

if any App's have big amounts of Data - this can be cleared to make more space... but you might lose some information doing this!!!! so be judicious on which apps you clear...

but i found heaps of data taking up space in apps i don't even use or want...

i'm looking forwards to ROOTING so i can get rid of those apps altogether!
  21. xuerebx

xuerebx Member

I've done all of that (clearing data, moving apps to SD etc). I just want a root to be available like with every other android phone so I can permanently remove apps that I never use but which take up space and you can't uninstall without rooting the phone.
  22. fahadmonster

fahadmonster Member

23. rathu59

rathu59 New Member

hey guys thanks for the infos. am a noob and know nothing much abt these stuffs. i will try these stuffs and will post the response.
    el precedente is so nice and helpful. a spl thanks to you mate. :eek:
    El Presidente likes this.
  24. El Presidente

Sorry it's taken a while to get back to you.

Do you have Titanium Backup installed? That will allow you to backup all your apps and the data associated with them.
  25. tmcthree

tmcthree Active Member

How do I check if I'm S-on or S-off?