• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [GUIDE] how to root US LG G Stylo on 5.1.1 and unbrick :) updated on 9/2/2015

Attention if you try this and end up with a brick or your device transforms and tries to destroy you; it's not my fault you did this not me. So just read all of this thread not just the O.P to get out of a bind if you reply with "the thread is too long i wont read it please help" don't expect anything short of "there's a search bar use it"

Attention
if you bricked via trying to root with the 5.0.2 method on 5.1.1 then just run what is below and you will have a fully working and rooted Stylo ;)

Hello there I and Unjustified Dev have figured out how to root this puppy with the help of a video on YouTube so please read carefully and copy carefully please

Step 1 make sure you have a Windows PC
Step 2 download the LG Drivers from here: http://www.mylgphones.com/lg-android-usb-device-drivers
Step 3 reboot your device into download mode
Step 4 download this folder and unzip it to your desktop: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=24052804347799389
Step 5 now run ports.bat from withing the extracted folder, to find your correct port (use the one with: LGVZANDNETDIAG1)
Step 6 in the LG_Root folder hold shift and right click and choose open command windows here
Step 7 run Push_File.exe \\.\COM11 busybox /tmp/busybox
^^^^^(place correct number after "COM" with no space)^^^^^^
it will then give you a message for example:

C:\Users\juan\Desktop\LG_Root>Push_File.exe \\.\COM11 busybox /tmp/busybox
Author : blog.lvu.kr
File : busybox
Path : /tmp/busybox

UNLK : FAIL
OPEN : OPEN
TOT FileSize : 1048328

SendStart
WRTE : WRTE1048328byte sent

CLSE: CLSE

Step 8 run Push_File.exe \\.\COM11 lg_root.sh /tmp/lg_root.sh (same deal as before)
Step 9 run Push_File.exe \\.\COM11 UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.46.zip /tmp/UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.46.zip
Step 10 run Send_Command.exe \\.\COM11
Step 11 type the following ls tmp which will result in:
#ls tmp
FAIL
#ls tmp
UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.46.zip
busybox
lg_root.sh
now Step 11 run sh /tmp/lg_root.sh dummy 1 /tmp/UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.46.zip /tmp/busybox

which should give you:
ui_print *****************
ui_print SuperSU installer
ui_print *****************
ui_print - Mounting /system, /data and rootfs
ui_print - Extracting files
Archive: /tmp/UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.46.zip
inflating: META-INF/MANIFEST.MF
inflating: META-INF/CERT.SF
inflating: META-INF/CERT.RSA
inflating: META-INF/com/google/android/update-binary
inflating: META-INF/com/google/android/updater-script
inflating: arm/chattr
inflating: arm/chattr.pie
inflating: arm/libsupol.so
inflating: arm/su
inflating: arm/supolicy
inflating: arm64/libsupol.so
inflating: arm64/su
inflating: arm64/supolicy
inflating: armv7/chattr.pie
inflating: armv7/libsupol.so
inflating: armv7/su
inflating: armv7/supolicy
inflating: common/99SuperSUDaemon
inflating: common/Superuser.apk
inflating: common/install-recovery.sh
inflating: mips/chattr.pie
inflating: mips/libsupol.so
inflating: mips/su
inflating: mips/supolicy
inflating: mips64/libsupol.so
inflating: mips64/su
inflating: mips64/supolicy
inflating: x64/libsupol.so
inflating: x64/su
inflating: x64/supolicy
inflating: x86/chattr
inflating: x86/chattr.pie
inflating: x86/libsupol.so
inflating: x86/su
inflating: x86/supolicy
ui_print - Disabling OTA survival
ui_print - Removing old files
ui_print - Placing files
ui_print - Post-installation script
ui_print - Unmounting /system and /data
ui_print - Done !

Step 12 type LEAVE and press enter and let your device reboot
Step 13 Don't brick your device now that you have root
:)
edit: works on all known US Variants don't know about the Canada or English ones....

Last edited:
thanks for the instructions.. I'm able to get to get to download mode, figure out the com but for some reason i can't get the phone to pass MTP check. I am able to connect to the phone and pass MTP check while not in regular mode.. but when i turn phone off and switch to DL mode MTP fails. I get LG Android MTP - Fails

I've uninstalled the drivers and reinstalled many times... I've also noticed that if i want to attempt to connect via DL mode i have reinstall the driver above everytime.. if not the phone wont even be picked up.

Any help is appreciated..

Upvote 0
thanks for the instructions.. I'm able to get to get to download mode, figure out the com but for some reason i can't get the phone to pass MTP check. I am able to connect to the phone and pass MTP check while not in regular mode.. but when i turn phone off and switch to DL mode MTP fails. I get LG Android MTP - Fails

I've uninstalled the drivers and reinstalled many times... I've also noticed that if i want to attempt to connect via DL mode i have reinstall the driver above everytime.. if not the phone wont even be picked up.

Any help is appreciated..
do you have usb debugging checked in developer options? what happens when you have the phone booted up normally and you plug it into the pc, does it recognize it?

im not sure what you mean about MTP check i dont remember seeing anything about that

Reactions: 6th_Hokage
Upvote 0
do you have usb debugging checked in developer options? what happens when you have the phone booted up normally and you plug it into the pc, does it recognize it?

im not sure what you mean about MTP check i dont remember seeing anything about that

yes the debug is on, when i boot up normally I'm able to connect and MTP connects. It's only when i try DL mode to root the phone does it fail after I plug phone in and all the drivers try to install.

Upvote 0
If were already rooted on 5.0.2 can we make a backup of that and use it as our stock recovery?

im not sure what you mean by stock recovery? the stock recovery was replaced with twrp and unless you used flashify to make a backup of the actual stock recovery, the only way to get the stock recovery back would be to flash the kdz

yes the debug is on, when i boot up normally I'm able to connect and MTP connects. It's only when i try DL mode to root the phone does it fail after I plug phone in and all the drivers try to install.

but the drivers should already be installed before you put the phone into download mode and connect it to the pc

Upvote 0
Did you install the first driver link? The vzw one? I could only see my port in the port.bat file after the vzw driver was installed. The other driver install showed up the right device in computer manager, but the port.bat didn't find the com port for it.

I even tried using the port computer manager showed for the first driver install with no luck. It only liked that vzw driver. Hope that helps.

Upvote 0
Did you install the first driver link? The vzw one? I could only see my port in the port.bat file after the vzw driver was installed. The other driver install showed up the right device in computer manager, but the port.bat didn't find the com port for it.

I even tried using the port computer manager showed for the first driver install with no luck. It only liked that vzw driver. Hope that helps.

what carrier do you have and did you try both LG USB Drivers Ver.3.11 and LG United Mobile Driver Ver. 3.10

Upvote 0
Well it worked after I did the vzw. Got root and updated busybox already. CPotato, you may want to try the United install as well.

yes the drivers i am using is from above link and I am using the united install.

my problem is every-time i plug the phone to my laptop, windows 7 wants to re-install the drivers.

if i plug the phone after i have booted the phone regularly i get the pc reconizes the phone and i am able to read the phones data.
Driver_Pass.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Driver Pass.JPG

if i plug the phone in DL mode, the re-install fails
Driver Fail.JPG

Upvote 0
yes the drivers i am using is from above link and I am using the united install.

my problem is every-time i plug the phone to my laptop, windows 7 wants to re-install the drivers.

if i plug the phone after i have booted the phone regularly i get the pc reconizes the phone and i am able to read the phones data.
Driver_Pass.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

View attachment 92901

if i plug the phone in DL mode, the re-install fails
View attachment 92902

honestly the important one is com port

Upvote 0
remove all of the lg drivers from your pc and reboot. install the correct drivers. plug your phone in (in regular use mode - i dont know what thats called lol?) after the drivers are installed. now after you plug the phone in it might say installing drivers or something similar and you'll be like wtf is this...just let it do its thing until it goes away. then try to see if you can see your phone in windows explorer, if you can, you should be good to go.

now unplug the phone from the cord and power it off for 10 seconds. hold the volume up key and continue holding it while you plug the phone cord into your phone (the other end should still be in your computer) now proceed to start whatever step it is you're on because im really not sure what step you're on to be honest

also if for some reason your computer doesnt see the phone in regular mode after youve installed the drivers try another usb port/make sure you're using the cable that came with the phone

Upvote 0
Im having a permission error from windows. Ive tried to filter the folder on the on the desktop in the intranet settings and cant seem to get around it.
Using windows 7 and the internet settings seems to be in the way even though its on the deasktop

can you give a better example or take a picture?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones