• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Guide] How To Root Your ZMAX & List of ROMs

Upvote 0
Root Guide
(ALL FIRMWARE VERSIONS)
Because the ZMAX has a write protected system partition, Kingroot can only get you Temporary Root. Temporary Root is root that only lasts until you reboot the phone and is then lost. In order to get permanent root that isn't lost when you reboot or reset the phone, we need to install TWRP and use it to flash SuperSU.

[1] Download and install the newest version of Kingroot

[2] Download and install ZTE ZMAX TWRP Recovery 2.8.6.0

[3] Download UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.46.zip

[4] Open and run Kingroot (might not work the first time)
If Kingroot succeeds then skip to step 6

[5] If Kingroot fails, go to app drawer, long press on Kingroot icon and drag it to the top of your screen where it says "app info." Then clear cache and data for Kingroot, turn the phone off, wait a few seconds, and turn it back on. Repeat steps 4 & 5 as many times as necessary.

[6] Open ZTE ZMAX TWRP Recovery 2.8.6.0 and click "Install Recovery" and grant root access. You should then see a popup that says "success." Once you have TWRP installed you never will need Kingroot again.

[7] Go back to app drawer and uninstall Kingroot and Purify.

[8] To reboot into TWRP, power off the phone, then press and hold the power and volume up buttons until you feel the phone vibrate, then let go of the power button while continuing to hold the volume up button for approximately ten more seconds.

[9] Once you are in TWRP recovery, tap the "Backup" button and select System, Data, and Boot (select SD card as backup location if you have one) and swipe to make the backup.

[10] Go back to the main screen in TWRP, press the "Install" button, navigate to the Download folder on your internal storage, tap on "UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.46.zip", and then swipe to install.

[11] Reboot System and enjoy.
MAKE NEW BACKUPS REGULARLY

Custom ROMs
KitKat ROMs:
Butternoob(Based on Stock ROM): http://goo.gl/cbqCrP
PAC-ROM(4.4.4): goo.gl/NCYTAs

Lollipop ROMs:
AICP(5.1.1): goo.gl/2APSAK
Blisspoop(5.1.1): goo.gl/16qFRb

BrokenOS(5.1.1): goo.gl/8mPSAK
Candy5(5.1.1): goo.gl/mi7lZm
Cyanogenmod12.1 RC5(5.1.1): goo.gl/AouWRf
Cyanogenmod12.1 RC6(5.1.1): goo.gl/ycQ5Fa
Carbon ROM(5.1.1): http://goo.gl/a6PSAK
PAC-ROM(5.1.1): goo.gl/6eUGqw
Resurrection Remix(5.1.1): goo.gl/kzmN5a
SlimROM(5.0.2): goo.gl/VeO4O7
Synthetic-OS(5.1.1)(Based on AICP): goo.gl/GpT4H9

Most Stable and Most Up To Date Rom:
BrokenOS (IMHO this is the best ROM we have)

ROMs With Stagefright Fixes:
BrokenOS
Candy5
Cyanogenmod12.1 RC6
Resurrection Remix
Synthetic-OS

Stock ROMs:
MetroPCS Stock(4.4.4)(pre-rooted): goo.gl/C9kRZa
MetroPCS &T-Mobile Factory Stock(unrooted): goo.gl/hautSt
How To Flash A Custom Rom
Download ROM and GApps(Google apps package)
Reboot to recovery
Make a backup of your current system configuration
Wipe System, Data, Cache, and Dalvik-Cache
Flash ROM first then flash GApps
Reboot System
Dont u have to flash a switcher and all that so you don't brick ur phone? Your instructions make it seem way easier to install a Rom then the stuff i was reading the last time i was on here. Did they make it to where you don't have to flash all these switchers and shit now? Thanks in advance.

Upvote 0
Dont u have to flash a switcher and all that so you don't brick ur phone? Your instructions make it seem way easier to install a Rom then the stuff i was reading the last time i was on here. Did they make it to where you don't have to flash all these switchers and shit now? Thanks in advance.
You only need a switcher if you want to delete system apps or convert user apps to system apps or do anything else that requires the ability to modify system files while booted in android. If you don't use switchers it really is as simple as flashing a ROM on any other device. Switchers are optional not mandatory.

Upvote 0
Friend gave me a ZTE ZMAX that was previously used on Walmart Family Mobile. Model is Z970, it's on 4.4.4, and the build number is Z970V1.0.0B33.

I can assume, then, that everything in the OP will work for my phone? I'm not new to rooting, TWRP, or flashing ROMs, but every phone is different. I'd like to throw LP on the phone, but I don't want to brick it. I assume that once I have root - then recovery via TWRP - I can just flash an LP ROM? No need to update the bootloader or anything like that? Or is that the point of the "boot switcher" (this one is new to me)? And I can switch between KK and LP ROMs all day long (as opposed to some other phones where once you upgrade, you're stuck there)?

TIA!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Friend gave me a ZTE ZMAX that was previously used on Walmart Family Mobile. Model is Z970, it's on 4.4.4, and the build number is Z970V1.0.0B33.

I can assume, then, that everything in the OP will work for my phone? I'm not new to rooting, TWRP, or flashing ROMs, but every phone is different. I'd like to throw LP on the phone, but I don't want to brick it. I assume that once I have root - then recovery via TWRP - I can just flash an LP ROM? No need to update the bootloader or anything like that? Or is that the point of the "boot switcher" (this one is new to me)? And I can switch between KK and LP ROMs all day long (as opposed to some other phones where once you upgrade, you're stuck there)?

TIA!
After you flash LP you need to flash the B22 Modem Firmware. About switch between KK and LP you can do this with Backup and Restore.
Take a look here http://androidforums.com/threads/rooting-instructions-for-4-4-4-build-b13-4-4-2-build-b33.967646/

Upvote 0
After you flash LP you need to flash the B22 Modem Firmware. About switch between KK and LP you can do this with Backup and Restore.
Take a look here http://androidforums.com/threads/rooting-instructions-for-4-4-4-build-b13-4-4-2-build-b33.967646/
Thanks for the response! I've successfully installed TWRP And SuperSU, so I'm good there.

By "Backup and Restore", do you just mean TWRP nandroid backups? It sounds like I just need to flash the correct modem in conjunction with the ROM (eg. B33 for KK and B22 for LP). Yes? Does having the wrong modem (KK vs LP modems, I don't mean MetroPCS vs TMO) brick the phone?

Upvote 0
all you need
Thanks for the response! I've successfully installed TWRP And SuperSU, so I'm good there.

By "Backup and Restore", do you just mean TWRP nandroid backups? It sounds like I just need to flash the correct modem in conjunction with the ROM (eg. B33 for KK and B22 for LP). Yes? Does having the wrong modem (KK vs LP modems, I don't mean MetroPCS vs TMO) brick the phone?
What i mean with backup and restore is to make a backup of your stock KK and restore it any time you want the same with LP, like that you can switch roms. For LP you need to flash B22, for KK whichever you want, and nope you won't brick your phone. please take a look the link and read. Good Luck

Upvote 0
I've got respect for you @bcrichster, plus I like you, so I gonna try to keep this respectful.

1. There isn't a stock for this phone above 4.4.4. If you want lollipop, you have to to use custom.

2. There isn't a custom rom I've ever heard of that let's you do 1/20 of what Xposed does.

3. Xposed is NOT just for Stock and has NO such warning. Gravitybox does however. Is it possible you've gotten the two confused?

I use Gravitybox with customs all the time btw. It's usually fine as long you don't cause conflicts with other settings, or if you're using an over-sensitive ROM. I only use Gravitybox at a minimum though.

@thatyoshi... Check out Resurrection Remix. I've intentionally tried to break it by running LOTS of Xposed Modules at once. I don't think it CAN be broken by Xposed. I couldn't even make it a little buggy with almost 20 modules at once! Adaway works, too.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I've got respect for you @bcrichster, plus I like you, so I gonna try real hard to keep this respectful.

1. There isn't a stock for this phone above 4.4.4. If you want lollipop, you have to to use custom.

2. There isn't a custom rom I've ever heard of that let's you do 1/20 of what Xposed does.

3. Xposed is NOT just for Stock and has NO such warning. Gravitybox does however. Is it possible you've gotten the two confused?

Please double check before jumping all over someone's case for wanting to customize their own phone the way they want. I use Gravitybox with customs all the time btw. It's usually fine as long you don't cause conflicts with other settings, or if you're using an over-sensitive ROM.

@thatyoshi... Check out Resurrection Remix. I've intentionally tried to break it by running LOTS of Xposed Modules at once. I don't think it CAN be broken by Xposed. I couldn't even make it a little buggy with almost 20 modules at once! Adaway works, too.

Actually @arkansawdave74 .. You may be correct about my mixing up GB with Xposed.. [emoji33] So then I apologize to @thatyoshi for jumping so hard. My bad, I've just had many ppl lately have me try to troubleshoot their custom ROMs vs Xposed and I vented wrongly. I retract what I said to thatyoshi. Ty- for calling me out & redirecting me.. [emoji28]

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones