• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Guide: How to S-Off, Root and install CWM. On a Wildfire running Froyo 2.2.1

Howard Hopkinson

Android Enthusiast
Oct 12, 2010
I have just successfully s-offed, rooted and installed CWM on my mates Wildfire and thought it'd be a good idea to outline how I did it.

Revolutionary is still in a beta version and I take no responsibility for any damage caused, but it definitely worked for me.

Step1:

Enable USB debugging mode on your phone by doing the following.

Click settings/applications/development and check the box that says USB debugging.

Download Revolutionary from HERE. Follow the instructions exactly. Extract from the zip file and run Revolutionary.exe and then plug your phone into your pc via the usb cable and follow the onscreen instructions.

You will need to fill in the Revolutionary Application form in order to make Revolutionary work.
Run the Revolutionary utility, that will give you all the information needed to fill in the form.

Please note: Presently this only works for Hboot version 1.01.0001.

To find out what Hboot version your phone has do the following.

Power off the phone.

Hold down the volume down key and at the same time press the power button. This will boot you into your Hboot menu.

Once you are s-off, continue to step 2.

Step2:

Go HERE and download the latest version of Gingerbreak(v1.20.apk)

Follow the installation instructions in the above post exactly. Please note: It has come to my attention that sometimes Gingerbreak does not automatically reboot the phone(thanks to NFSGamer for the info). If this happens. wait a couple of minutes and then manually reboot your phone.

Once done, you should be rooted, you can check this by going into your app drawer and seeing if you have the super user app. If you have, then congrats, your phone is rooted.

Step3:

Installing ClockworkMod so you can make nand backups, flash roms etc etc.

Download, install and run the BusyBox Installer from the market. Once BusyBox has been installed, reboot your phone.

Download and install the Root Toolbox app from the market. Unfortunately, this app is no longer free.

Download the ClockworkMod recovery-clockwork-2.5.0.1-buzz.img file. I have attached it as a zip file at the bottom of this post. Extract the file then place it on the root of your SD card(not inside any folder).

Open Root Toolbox and click the advanced button followed by Erase Recovery, once it's done click the Flash Recovery button.

This should have flashed the CWM recovery to your phone. You should now be able to access recovery to install roms, make nand backups etc etc.

Once you're all done, you can uninstall Gingerbreak.

A list of Wildfire roms are available in this thread over at XDA Developers.

I wonder if it has something to do with the renaming of the file?

What I have done is renamed the file to recovery.img and re-uploaded the zip file. I have also altered the instructions to reflect the change.

Try downloading the new zip file and extract it, then put it on the root of your sd card. Then follow the instructions as before.

Please let me know if that solves the issue.

Upvote 0
hey mate... my HTC wildfire is rooted(got SU).. installed root toolbox... downloaded ur attached file, extracted and renamed as recovery.img and put in root of sd card.... ran toolbox... erased recovery... but when tapped on flash recovery... it says file not found... plz help mate...

hello... just paste the recovery .img on the sd card.. du not paste under any folder.. it should work..

Upvote 0
Hey,

Yesterday I rooted my HTC Wildfire and installed CyanogenMod 6.1.0 and everything worked fine such as SetCPU, texting, calling, wifi but mobile internet doesn't work. I have restored back to the stock rom and the mobile internet works fine so it isn't anything to do with the phone itself.
If you could help me I would be so grateful!

Thanks,
Jake

Upvote 0
THANKS FOR THE AWESOME GUIDE!
Seriously, all other guides I have looked at is alot more complicated than this so thanks so much.

No worries mate, my pleasure.

I just did my sons Wildfire Yesterday and installed THIS rom. So far he loves it and says the performance is way better than stock.

My mate has also installed the above rom and is also very pleased with it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones