1. Hot New Devices! HTC One M9 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | LG G4

(Guide) How to update PRLTips

1. johnnyolivares

johnnyolivares Well-Known Member

First you need QPST, I couldn't get any other version to work except 2.7 build 374. Downoad it, extract it, install it.
    Download link: QPST 2.7.374.far

Secondly you need to know your MSL
    If you don't, download MEID converter from the Play Store or go to whiterabbit.org/android. Enter your IMEI; your IMEI is found in settings>about phone>status, convert it and now write down that 6 digit number

1) Connect your phone to your PC
    2) 2) Open Settings>Developer Options>USB debugging enabled (must be unplugged while changing the setting if stock).
    [Let the drivers install]
    3) Open QPST Configuration
    4) Go to the Ports tab
    5) Add the port that says Diagnostics
    6) Press start client and choose Service programming
    7) Make sure your phone is highlighted and press OK (from my experience the phone number will be wrong)
    8) Press "read from phone" located in the bottom left
    9)Enter your MSL
    10) In the bottom right click on "Save to File"
    [This will be your back up in case you accidentally did something you weren't suppose to.]
    11)Go to Roam tab
    12) Now browse for the PRL file you wish to install and choose it
    13) Press write to phone, located on the lower left
    You will get an error message saying your phone has stopped responding to read/write.... blahh blahh.... Phone no longer active on port x
    Your phone will show that it has no service
    14) Reboot your Phone
    15)Your all done
    To check go to settings>about phone>status

And here's a Video Tutorial
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5k-m4olAReY

You may notice i changed some steps in order for the phone to be detected, the reason being that my previous method wasn't working anymore but this did.

Credited for 9033 goes to n4zty
    Other PRLs provided by Gman9831and 2GigayteSD

Special thanks to Sammy for correcting me on step 2

Thanks to SwoRNLeaDejZ for the video tutorial

2031.prl - 5.93 KB
    9033.prl - 5.05 KB
    2032.prl - 4.7KB

IF YOU WANT TO REVERT YOUR PRL DIAL *228
    Choose option 5 or say update preferred roaming list

Advertisement
  2. chicle

chicle Well-Known Member

I just dial *228 and choose # 5, and it updates the prl automatically to the latest one.
  3. Gman9831

Gman9831 I'm no Senior Guide

People may want different prls on their phone like the ones that's exclusive to the s3
    Ubercharrge likes this.
  4. blaze420916

blaze420916 Well-Known Member

I did the same thing once I notice 9033 was garbage in the Sacramento area and it just restored back to the latest prl
  5. Matthew83

Matthew83 Well-Known Member

Thank you for this guide. I had unknowingly done it correctly on my own but I thought it failed since it gave me that error at the last step, I didn't know that is normal.

I'm using 9033 and so far at my home in Southern California I notice no difference. I will keep using it for a while and might revert back to the default one later.
  6. twogbsd

twogbsd Well-Known Member

Garbage is an understatement....
  7. blaze420916

I was getting 400kbps with 9033 I went to 2031 and get a little over 5mbps now
    twogbsd likes this.
  8. twogbsd

I shall try it in a minute :D
  9. blaze420916

10. twogbsd

11. johnnyolivares

Where's the link for 2031 :O
    Please and thank you
  12. Gman9831

Gman9831 I'm no Senior Guide

johnnyolivares likes this.
  13. Ubercharrge

Ubercharrge Well-Known Member

Back up to page 1
  14. MotoTriumphant

MotoTriumphant Well-Known Member

i cant connect to usb tether its grayed out. once i download the prl i like where do i move it to?

Edit: Nvm thanks i got it im trying out 2032 (;
  15. johnnyolivares

Turn you're data on.
    Doesn't matter just when you're browsing for the prl go to the location you saved it in.
  16. MotoTriumphant

I went to work using prl 2032 and when I was done I tried to use GPS to get back home but it would just hang and hang it would just be searching for GPS and I never got it to work so I had to reset my prl by dialing *228 then press 5 for the latest roaming list then GPS started to work again instantly. Im gonna give 9033 a go.
  17. sammyz

sammyz LG Whiz Kid Guide

Did you try rebooting before changing PRLs?? Sometimes the problem is that the phone really just needs a reboot. :p
  18. MotoTriumphant

I don't think so but im on my second day on 9033 tested GPS wherever I go so far so good:rolleyes:
  19. sammyz

sammyz LG Whiz Kid Guide

Try again on 2032, I think it just needed a reboot :)
  20. Fox Mulder

Fox Mulder Well-Known Member

I don't see how the PRL would have any effect on GPS. It's only a set of instructions for how to use the cell/data network and nothing more. The GPS is a separate radio contained in the phone that works on its own regardless of network status.
    Put the phone in airplane mode, turn on GPS only, and you'll still receive satellite signals and be able to use GPS-based apps as long as they don't also need live data. Try this with GPS Test.
  21. MotoTriumphant

But gps needs data connection and 2032 was acting iffy for me
  22. twogbsd

GPS does not need data to work. Google Maps needs internet to display the map tiles, but it will lock on to your cords...
  23. sammyz

sammyz LG Whiz Kid Guide

I still think the phone only needed a reboot :p
  24. MotoTriumphant

So the app " Navigation " doesn't need data connection?
  25. Fox Mulder

Fox Mulder Well-Known Member

It does, to download the maps and route info. Once that's on the phone you can navigate with GPS alone as long as you don't deviate from the route.
    There is also an option in the Location settings to use "assisted GPS" which does use network data to help the GPS determine location.
    But for purposes of the discussion in this thread, using different PRL's should not make any difference with the phone's ability to lock onto a GPS signal. Most likely as has been speculated, the PRL flashing process locked up something in the phone and kept it from working properly until the next restart.