• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

(Guide) How to update PRL

When I go to step 7 in the instructions I'm getting an error.

It says "Online connection failure: Unspecified Error"

When the phone is in USB tether mode, I can tether my PC from it, although its pretty slow.

Any thoughts?

Try the charging mode one instead of tether. My tether one was grayed out and I couldn't use it so I used the charging mode and it also worked:D

Upvote 0
1) Connect your phone to your PC
2) Put your phone in usb tethering

Change that step to:
2) Open Settings>Developer Options>USB debugging enabled (must be unplugged while changing the setting if stock).

Your phone may be detected on a different COM PORT after that. Mine changed from COM 5 with tether to COM 6 with this enabled.

Reactions: johnnyolivares
Upvote 0
Change that step to:
2) Open Settings>Developer Options>USB debugging enabled (must be unplugged while changing the setting if stock).

Your phone may be detected on a different COM PORT after that. Mine changed from COM 5 with tether to COM 6 with this enabled.

Will do. I won't even test it cause I trust you that much :D

Reactions: sammyz
Upvote 0
Flawless guide. One thing I noticed, when I went to Service Programming, it did not list my phone number correctly, not sure if that is normal or strange, because the PRL installation still worked, PRL reads 9033 now. Was kind of hoping to grab some sprint service at my house, where I currently get HORRIBLE service from Metro (unless I leave my phone on the right front corner of my bureau, for some reason, I grab 4G there (?????)), but I did not see a dramatic improvement in my service throughout my house. I am able to get 1X coverage everywhere in my house for the most part, where before I just had a red X, so I guess that is definitely an improvement, just not as much as I had hoped for.

A+ tutorial though, very easy to follow, I am going to make a video about this, tomorrow night, and I will send you the link and you can add it to the OP, if you'd like (I have a YouTube channel full of tech tutorials, Android, PC, PSP, etc.). Thanks for taking the time to write this up, been searching for something like this for a looooooooong time. +1

Reactions: johnnyolivares
Upvote 0
Flawless guide. One thing I noticed, when I went to Service Programming, it did not list my phone number correctly, not sure if that is normal or strange, because the PRL installation still worked, PRL reads 9033 now. Was kind of hoping to grab some sprint service at my house, where I currently get HORRIBLE service from Metro (unless I leave my phone on the right front corner of my bureau, for some reason, I grab 4G there (?????)), but I did not see a dramatic improvement in my service throughout my house. I am able to get 1X coverage everywhere in my house for the most part, where before I just had a red X, so I guess that is definitely an improvement, just not as much as I had hoped for.

A+ tutorial though, very easy to follow, I am going to make a video about this, tomorrow night, and I will send you the link and you can add it to the OP, if you'd like (I have a YouTube channel full of tech tutorials, Android, PC, PSP, etc.). Thanks for taking the time to write this up, been searching for something like this for a looooooooong time. +1

Yeah the number is never correct.
At least that's from my experience.

I will gladly add the link. Thanks for making the video

Upvote 0
I could but my phone is in perfect customized condition, unbrick would delete all my apps and hard work... someone sends me a phone, I'll make the video with a smile on my face. Like I said once before, if my phone ever requires an unbrick, I will gladly film it.

How about you just have a back up?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones