• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [MetroPCS & T-Mobile] [GUIDE] Howto Root LG Optimus F3

Depending on the firmware, either motochopper or saferoot works. I would go with saferoot though.

Can someone verify my conflicts with rooting this phone with drivers installed (LG website), debugging enabled, and MTP PC connection? Now some guy on a YouTube video says the sd card must be patitioned. Well, that I didn't do, as he is the first and only person to say that.

The phone must be in usb charge mode, not any other mode and debugging enabled. Also, the sdcard has nothing to do with anything, you don't even have to have a sdcard in the phone to root it.

Upvote 0
Problem: I rooted the phone (successfully) but then updated to the newer ROM -- version P65910b. After the update I got an error when trying to run SU saying the SU binary was no longer found. I've tried rooting the phone again, but when I run install.bat I get this:

[*] Waiting for your phone to appear
error: protocol fault (status read)
error: more than one device and emulator

[*] Sending files to your device...

At that point the batch file hangs. Suggestions?

Upvote 0
Related to the above question, I have 1 phone rooted with the "a" software, one with "b". I've noticed some buggyness on "a" such as always receiving an open WiFi network notification despite me having disabled it.

What's the proper way to get the upgrade so I can get the new version and still re-root?

I'm coming from a Galaxy Nexus where everything was easy, so I'm not used to this.

Upvote 0
You can update either OTA or via USB with the LG Support Tool. OTA may fail if you're rooted, especially if you have removed any system apps. The support tool doesn't care AFAIK. I used the latter to do my update and it worked with no problem, I was rooted but hadn't removed any system apps although I did re-enable the ones I had frozen before doing the update just to avoid any issues.
If you do use the Support Tool just be sure you have the latest drivers on your PC before starting the update.
Re-rooting after updating to version c is no problem, but you have to use Saferoot as Motochopper will no longer work on the new firmware.

Upvote 0
I've only frozen, not removed, so as to prevent update issues in the future. I used saferoot the first time around.

Update: Unfroze the few apps I'd frozen, ran the update, re-rooted using saferoot, re-froze apps again, and I'm back like I was in about 15 minutes. Very easy.

After what I put up with regarding battery life on my Nexus, I'm loving this phone.

Upvote 0
it says my phone isn't supported, and it fails to root, but with that being said there's a SuperSU app in my phone. When I open SuperSU it tell me that there's no su binary installed. here's my software information. Can anyone please help

Android version

baseband version
M8930B-AAAATAZM-3.2.25033

Kernel version

builder number
JZO54K

software version
Ms50012b

Upvote 0
it says my phone isn't supported, and it fails to root, but with that being said there's a SuperSU app in my phone. When I open SuperSU it tell me that there's no su binary installed. here's my software information. Can anyone please help

Android version

baseband version

Kernel version

builder number
JZO54K

software version
Ms50012b

You're in the wrong forum, this is for the F3. Your software version shows that you have an F6 (MS50012b). Saferoot no longer works for the F6's latest software version. Head on over to the F6 forum for other means of rooting.

Upvote 0
Hi, I followed steps closely above about 9 times and still getting same fail.

Here are my details:
Android version

baseband version

Kernel version

builder number
JZO54K

software version
MS65910c

I run install.bat and during process, I say yes to Busybox, it detects my phone but when "sending files to your device..." it says "Unable to chmod /data/local/tmp/getroot: No such file or directory.

After "Starting rooting program", it reports
/system/bin/sh: /data/local/tmp/getroot: not found

rm failed for /data/local/tmp/getroot, No such file

Trying to disable Knox
/systems/bin/sh: /system/xbin/super: not found

Rebooting...
Waiting for device to re-appear...
(and then after my phone turns back on...)
Something has deleted su - looking for the backup copy
The backup is gone too - can't recover!

At this point, I'm asked to press a key and it closes.

Am I missing something? (Yes, have updated USB drivers, am in debugging mode; tried toggling between media and camera connection; am running as administrator etc.)

Thanks.

Upvote 0
Kayh, try redownloading saferoot.zip and extracting it again. In the saferoot folder, look in "files" and make sure that the file "getroot" is there (as well as some other files). It seems as if that file was missing when you tried running install.bat, thus didn't get copied over and gave you those errors.

Chris, Missing files - doh! Thanks for that tip -- it did the trick. Flawless execution.

Best to you.
K

Upvote 0
Hello to everyone! WHen i try this method. Saferoot says that my device is not supported. I also tried motochopper and it rebooted and installed SUPERSU but unfortunately it wont let me update the binaries. PLeas help!!

Android version

baseband version

Kernel version

builder number
JZO54K

software version
P659h10a-SSV-TLF

Upvote 0
Tried rooting my Virgin f3 using saferoot but got the following message:

"Starting rooting program
ro.build.product=fx3
ro.build.id=JZ054K
Your kernel is patched!
This device not supported"

My phone info:

LG Optimus f3 (Virgin Mobile)

Android version: 4.1.2

Kernel version: 3.4.0

Build number: JZ054K

Software version: LS720ZV7

Would Motochopper work??
I'm new to rooting phones so any help would be appreciated.

Upvote 0
Tried rooting my Virgin f3 using saferoot but got the following message:

"Starting rooting program
ro.build.product=fx3
ro.build.id=JZ054K
Your kernel is patched!
This device not supported"

My phone info:

LG Optimus f3 (Virgin Mobile)

Android version: 4.1.2

Kernel version: 3.4.0

Build number: JZ054K

Software version: LS720ZV7

Would Motochopper work??
I'm new to rooting phones so any help would be appreciated.
Saferoot does not work with zv7 firmware. You need to use Towel Root apk now.

Upvote 0
hi everyone, i'm trying to root my optimus f3 from metropcs without any success, as soon as i hit any key to continue, the black screen just disappears, i tried all the options drivers installed, charging mode, mtp mode, run as administrator...etc, all failed, am i missing somethinf here?
any useful suggestion? thanks.:thinking::(

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones