[Guide] Move more (most) apps to SD without root (Simplified)Tips

1. mite_jan

mite_jan Well-Known Member

okay so a little information on your method described here and the other methods would be great for me since i don't know much still

i did this method you described here ...

right now i have 94mb free when i moved the kalvik cache to the sd (i have created 512mb ext partition through clockwork , do you think that is fine? )

also is there something else except the kalvik cache which i did to do to the phone to free some memory ...

using cyanogen 7.0.3

Edit :
    actually i am going to be more precise if i can

i have routed the phone (in order to install cyanogen you must root right) and installed cyanogen mod
    then i started installing applications through market and most of them were not movable so i did this method you posted and most of them were movable but then again i have filled the memory somehow and moving the kalvik cache to sd freed around 70mb
    so now i am a bit confused why you said this is for non rooted phones

did i do something wrong or ?
  2. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

This is a non rooted solution. There are much better methods if rooted.

Do a factory reset on your Cyanogen Rom and download simple2ext from the market. You don't need to be looking at this....
  3. mite_jan

mite_jan Well-Known Member

i did the darktremr a2sd reinstall method
    so know the applications go to the ext partition that i have created or to the fat partition?
  4. SUroot

Dark tremor a2sd+ uses the EXT yes, so you need to make sure you move all your apps back to phone via manage applications to get them off the fat. Follow the red link in my sig for an FAQ about root memory.
    mite_jan likes this.
  5. Foxhunter123

Foxhunter123 Member

Works like a charm on my Desire with Stock HTC Gingerbread 2.3.3

Cannot move Flash 10.3, Maps, Youtube though...?

Followed the direction and did not have the USB-correction turned on when I did it...
  6. SUroot

Flash, maps and youtube are often integrated into the rom in /system/app. User apps are in /data/app. Not all apps move from /data/app either.
  7. speedycolzalez

speedycolzalez Well-Known Member

How did you get 160MB of free internal memory? According to FreeSpace I only have 147MB in total :confused:
  8. SUroot

Yes you have only 147 in total. I Have 370 in total.

root
    S-Off
    Tiny custom Rom
    Custom Internal Partition layout (Custom MTD)
    Tiny Cache partiton
    Script to link market downloads to /data
  9. charmedangela

charmedangela New Member

think ive sent myself insane doing this. have htc sync on laptop. downloaded & extracted rar file. dropped it into C drive. connected phone. opened black box typed as above, 'cd\android-sdk-windows\tools' straight after c:\users\user but keep getting 'the system cannot find the path specified.' blah blah blah.....!!!!! help it just wont work for me. but i cant see why as it seems so straight forward!
  10. How can I get 2.2? I read somewhere that you send your phone off or something and they do it? I recently had a new phone sent to me because the old one was stolen and the newer one still has 2.1- update1. I would really love 2.2 so I can have apps to sd. The low memory icon gets old!!!
  11. SUroot

Did you read the read me file in the rar? if you do what that says you dont need to CD anywehere.

Can you confirm that in windows explorer, if you go to C: there is indeed a folder called "android-sdk-Windows"? and in there, one called "tools"?
  12. SUroot

Apparently for some carriers that is the case but since you give no information about your phone I cannot answer that.
  13. charmedangela

charmedangela New Member

tried without typing CD anywhere! but still says same, the system cannot find the path specified. have tried putting into the c/users/user file but then it says 'android-sdk-tools is not reccognized as in internal or external command operable program or batch file' :confused:

in the 'android-sdk-windows' folders is a tools folder, in that there are 20 other assorted files :)

tried every which way before i posted for help!
  14. SUroot

Doesnt sound like you're using my file, it should only have 2 files in there. Did you download it from my dropbox?
  15. charmedangela

charmedangela New Member

yes, clicked on the link above! not sure if it was a problem with laptop. so just moved across to pc. but htc sync doesn't seem to locate my phone !!
  16. SUroot

It doesnt say that you need it to find your phone. It just says install it. This is just for drivers.

Follow this guide word for word, if its not mentioned, dont do it. If something is mentioned, do it exactly. nothing more, nothing less.
  17. I apologize. My phone carrier is Alltel.
  18. SUroot

19. charmedangela

charmedangela New Member

restarted everything. stuck to instructions but wont work for me! :(
  20. SUroot

can you get me the following screenshots please?

Windows explorer showing your folder structure from within tools
    Windows explorer showing your folder structure from within platform-tools if you have it
    your command prompt window when you get this error
  21. topbrewer

topbrewer Member

Followed the advice above and after a bit tinkering it now works ok, all apps that I download seem to be going to the sd card. Some widgets will not transfer but im not bothered about those small things.

However I have transferred about 6 apps but still have only 39mb left.

but hopefully with all future apps going to the sd card space should be plentiful.....

thanks
  22. SUroot

You dont want widgets on SD card. Any app that has a widget or needs to run as soon as you start the phone (in the background) needs to be on internal memory as Android mounts the sd card last when starting up. All apps will not be going to SD card in future, unless android changes how it works.
  23. dazek

dazek Well-Known Member

Hi - Can anyone help me here. Went through the above process with no issues, but since doing, any apps already on the SD card are now not working and are not shown as installed. It doesn't seem to be mounting the SD card???

Thanks

Daz
  24. dazek

dazek Well-Known Member

sorry - now sorted after a reboot :)
  25. mjemddc

mjemddc New Member

I have successfully downloaded Android 2.3.3 on my HTC Desire and noted the phone now turns off in 2 seconds and on completely within 5 seconds...amazed compared to Android 2.2. Concerns about increased use of internal memory with 2.3.3 were solved with the method described here to move apps to SD card. I now have all my downloaded apps moved to my SD card and have 87Mb of free internal memory.. Will be downloading lots more to try out now I have almost limetless space on my 16GB SD card.