• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[Guide] Move more (most) apps to SD without root (Simplified)

Many thanks SUroot.

I'm due for an upgrade but nothing seems to be dramatically better to justify an upgrade & I love the Desire. It's been driving me nuts though because although I have everything on it I want, with the updated maps it kept giving me the low space warning with only around 10mb free.

Now even with the latest maps I've 25mb free. Some things had to be moved back to the phone, like Swiftkey, but even Facebook has moved to the sd card without issue.

This is a great, simple solution without going down the slightly scary route of rooting; I need the phone for work so can't risk doing something that I might mess up.

Thanks again.

Android 2.3.3

Upvote 0
Its the same amount of space as if you manually moved it. What would be interesting is to fi9nd out apps you couldn't previously move can now be moved. Maybe worth downloading apps2sd from the market to see how many apps it finds. to be honest, this trick is a bit crap. Rooting is a much better solution.

Thanks for the reply. Although in my case new apps do not install to SD by default, I could move a couple of apps that I couldn't before such as System Panel, HTC Sync and Comic Reader Mobi thus gaining around 6 MB, plus all the widgets (of course I didn't touch them and let them where they were). It wasn't possible to move Facebook though as mentioned by chrisrosevilla.

Rooting+A2SD is indeed better to gain advantage of all the partitions but till now I didn't have the nerve and I also didn't want to lose the looks of HTC Sense. I will go at the end with a ROM that offers Sense on top, but till then I will compensate with this trick.

Upvote 0
I did it but after installing few applications I again got this msg, Memory Getting Low on HTC Desire

Couple of things, it doesn't always change the install location but it let's you move apps that you couldn't previously. Download "apps2sd" and see what it will let you move

Reactions: mirzayasir4
Upvote 0
Couple of things, it doesn't always change the install location but it let's you move apps that you couldn't previously. Download "apps2sd" and see what it will let you move

I have App2SD already with me. Actually after doing the procedure you described App2SD allowed me to move another few applications that were not possible to move previously.

After that I installed a lot of apps and memory comes from 49mb to 25mb. I moved all possible applications. Only market app is left in the phone memory.

I don't know further to install more apps or not:thinking:

Upvote 0
Hey i have a HTC Salsa and the low internal memory(a mere 150mb) frustrates me a lot. I am already using app2sd and have moved whatever apps are possible to move to the sd card using it. Will this method help me move any additional apps? Will it be possible to move apps like whatsapp? And will rooting my phone then do any good? Help me with the appropriate tutorials since im new to android.

Upvote 0
Thanks anyway.
I found this link for creating custom memory partition on sd card-
HTC Salsa C510e Rooting - Englebert Life
At the end of the tutorial it says:
"basically the htcfs is mounting the /data from my sdcard on every reboot before all the applications start up. There is a step to copy all existing /data to the sd-ext and that is the trick to make the phone thinks that is using the internal memory and we have no longer facing insufficient disk space"
Will this work once i have my phone rooted?

Upvote 0
It was connected but not HTC Sync, connected it and it worked fine, thanks for your help.

Can this also been done on a Archos 101 Tab?

Happy New year folks.:):)

With a lot of research, perhaps I am now learning why like many others I am stuck with the command prompt response fpm setInstall blah blah not operable program or batch file.

I simply cannot Sync with HTC. plugged/replugged, selected each of the three options from phone one by one for "Choose a connection type" still I cannot connect and still I get the following command prompt...

Please Help :thinking:

Upvote 0
With a lot of research, perhaps I am now learning why like many others I am stuck with the command prompt response fpm setInstall blah blah not operable program or batch file.

I simply cannot Sync with HTC. plugged/replugged, selected each of the three options from phone one by one for "Choose a connection type" still I cannot connect and still I get the following command prompt...

Please Help :thinking:

No that command is error is nothing to do with HTC sync. You shouldnt need HTC sync running. Or even installed (so long as you have the dirvers).

What android version have you got?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones