• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Guide] Re-flash stock ROM (RUU) after bricking a rooted device

Apologies if not post is not in right place- thought this would be a good place

Recently got a new phone and want to pass my Virgin Mobile HTC Wildfire S to my wife. The VM WFS phone is Unlocked, Rooted and S_Off. I want to set it up in her name and gmail account. Can I just reset to factory specs?

I thought that I read somewhere that may cause more problems.

This is current info:
MARVELC PVT SHIP S-OFF RL
HBOOT- 1.06.0000
MICROP-0354
RADIO-0.94.00.0824

HTC_A510c

Android 2.3.4
HTC Sense 2.1
Software 1.02.652.00
PRI Version 1.25_144
PRL Version 61007

Upvote 0
Thanks for the direction. I did factory reset and it didn't do anything- well, it went through like it was going to reset (white htc screen for about 2 minutes, reboot, etc.)- but, it still has all of my stuff still on it (my gmail account). I want to erase all of that stuff so that I can pass the phone on to someone else. Any ideas on how to get back to blank slate? It is ok if it still stays rooted, etc.

Edit--> the way I did factory reset was Settings->SD & Phone Storage -> Factory data reset... like I mentioned, it didn't seem to do anything.

Upvote 0
huh....Well now for future reference I guess that doesn't work
Do you have a nandroid backup of your stock rom? But I guess even that would have all your data...Maybe since it would be the original rom, maybe factory reset would work..............Let me know I'm curious to find out

Upvote 0
I tried the guide in posting 1 and everything went fine until flashboot... I received the following message:

sending 'recovery' (3172 KB)...
OKAY [ 1.429s]
writing 'recovery'...
FAILED (remote: not allowed)
finished. total time: 1.434s

I rooted and S_off'd a while back. So, not sure what this message means.

My ultimate desire is to get this phone to be owned by another gmail account.

Upvote 0
From the link in first post, I used... RUU_Marvel_C_Sprint_WWE_VM_1.02.652.00_Radio_0.94.00.0824_NV_VM_1.25_0815_PRL61007_release_219164_signed.exe

I have a virgin mobile 510c. The file is Marvel C and I see VM in filename. From previous post in this thread it was established that that is the correct RUU for VM.

Do you think I should be using another RUU?

Upvote 0
Thanks... but, I am wondering if that is the correct RUU. I have 510c which is CDMA and needs Marvel C, right? I noticed that the CDMA versions typicallly have "Marvel_C" in the name, but I don't see that in the one you suggested, so just want to double check before I go any further. Thanks

edit. I wonder if this post is the solution (relock bootloader first)? http://androidforums.com/htc-wildfire-s/646530-q-relocking-bootloader.html

Reactions: CafeKampuchia
Upvote 0
Thanks... but, I am wondering if that is the correct RUU. I have 510c which is CDMA and needs Marvel C, right? I noticed that the CDMA versions typicallly have "Marvel_C" in the name, but I don't see that in the one you suggested, so just want to double check before I go any further. Thanks

edit. I wonder if this post is the solution (relock bootloader first)? http://androidforums.com/htc-wildfire-s/646530-q-relocking-bootloader.html
Sorry about that and yes, you and Caro are right. I didn't look because Virgin Mobile (at least in the US) is CDMA only. Apparently they have a GSM network elsewhere in the world.

Based on the information in your post above, you definitely have the right RUU:
http://www.filefactory.com/file/c4e..._1.25_0815_PRL61007_release_219164_signed.exe

The problem is most likely the unlocked bootloader and/or custom recovery. Make sure those are restored as per the OP, steps 3-6. You must reflash the stock recovery (obtained from the temporary files of the RUU) and you must relock the bootloader so the status is *** RELOCKED ***.

Another thing you should try: If the phone is rooted and you have a custom recovery and don't mind passing it on in that condition, go into recovery and do a factory reset, wipe cache partition and delete dalvik cache. It will still be rooted with a custom recovery but should have none of your user data left.

Upvote 0
The problem is most likely the unlocked bootloader and/or custom recovery. Make sure those are restored as per the OP, steps 3-6. You must reflash the stock recovery (obtained from the temporary files of the RUU) and you must relock the bootloader so the status is *** RELOCKED ***.

FIrst, thanks for taking the time to respond and offer suggestions.

Problem is that I can't get past Step 5. I find the proper temp folder and copy the recovery.img to the right folder and do the commands as shown. Just like in my previous post #56, I get the "FAILED (remote: not allowed)" error. On the positive side I got this error quicker as my PC responded in 1.431 seconds, thus saving me 3 milliseconds.

Another thing you should try: If the phone is rooted and you have a custom recovery and don't mind passing it on in that condition, go into recovery and do a factory reset, wipe cache partition and delete dalvik cache. It will still be rooted with a custom recovery but should have none of your user data left.
Tried this also... looked promising, saw htc white screen for a long time... but, in the end, it didn't do anything...

I see there is an update pending from VM- should I do that? just don't want to brick this wfs.

Upvote 0
That means it recognizes the device and you should be able to flash stuff. Try rechecking your sdk tools installation.

Unistalled and reinstalled dsk tools... this time when I did adb devices, I got the response:

List of devices attached

And, it was blank! this time. I tried starting HTC Sync and it said it couldn't find any devices (but it always said that since I tried rooting my phone), and tried adb devices, but got same answer: blank...

One thing I remember from rooting- I forgot about it since it never seemed to cause any problems since I could still do SU things with my phone... when I hold power down and down arrow to go to hboot menu it says,

SD Checking...
Loading ... [PG76DIAG.zip]
No Image!
No Image or wrong image
No Image!
No Image or wrong image

I wonder if that has anything to do with this!

Upvote 0
Unistalled and reinstalled dsk tools... this time when I did adb devices, I got the response:

List of devices attached

And, it was blank! this time. I tried starting HTC Sync and it said it couldn't find any devices (but it always said that since I tried rooting my phone), and tried adb devices, but got same answer: blank...
Ok, I think it's time to try another computer if you can.

One thing I remember from rooting- I forgot about it since it never seemed to cause any problems since I could still do SU things with my phone... when I hold power down and down arrow to go to hboot menu it says,

SD Checking...
No Image!
No Image or wrong image
No Image!
No Image or wrong image

I wonder if that has anything to do with this!
No. All those messages are normal. When you boot into bootloader it scans for those files on the sd card to run any available updates or diagnostics. It's simply reporting that none were found.

Reactions: ek100001
Upvote 0
Ok, I think it's time to try another computer if you can.

Don't have another computer, but what I noticed is that when I was in Fastboot USB and did adb devices, no device would show... but when I was in normal phone and did adb devices, I would see my device so maybe this is a newbie learning. Still wasn't able to do the fastboot flash though.

I really appreciate your help though! If you think of anything else, please let me know. I will keep trying other things over the weekend.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones