1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

[Guide] Root Desire S with hboot 2.0 and S-ON

1. Guru82

Guru82 Well-Known Member

Warning! Using HTCdev:

1. Even after wiping and flashing a fresh RUU, the bootloader will display "*** RELOCKED ***". HTC will know that you had unlocked the bootloader. When sending for warrenty, you may be charged because of this. Read the warnings when using HTCdev for more info.
    2. It is not true root, as we are not gaining S-OFF which allows access to low level portions of the system.
      * We have to flash a ROMs boot.img using USB and SDK. Modded Recovery is not given that access with the bootloader unlocked.

Detailed Root HTC Desire S
    using HTCdev, SuperSU and 4EXT Recovery. Install a custom ROM or gain superuser on official/stock.
    Tested devices, prior to mod:
    -1- GB, Factory loaded RUU;
    * hboot 2.00.0002 and S-ON
    * Android 2.3.5, HTC Sense 3.0. Software/Build 2.15.832.5, Kernel 2.6.35.10, Baseband 20.4801.30.0822U_3822.10.08.04_M
    -2- ICS, RUU_SAGA_ICS_35_S_HTC_Europe_14.01.401.2_Radio_20.76.30.0835_3831.19.00.110_release_275068_signed, Tested with TWRP 2.2.2.0 Recovery;
    * hboot 2.02.0002 and S-ON
    * Android 4.0.4, HTC Sense 3.6. Software/Build 14.01.401.2 [710RD], Kernel 3.0.16, Baseband 20.76.30.0835U_3831.19.00.110

Index:

• Notes
    • Tips
    • Downloads that are used within guide
    • 1. Prerequisites. Download and setups
    • 2. Unlock Bootloader
    • 3. Recovery
    • 4. Push some files to your SD card
    • 5. Superuser
    • 6. Root with ROM
    • 7. Setup apps
    • 97. Unroot / Full Wipe and Restore
    • 98. How to downgrade with RUU
    • 99. How to create a GoldCard without phone

Notes:
    ! Pretty much all guides say it, and so... you should create a GoldCard before doing anything : http://androidforums.com/desire-s-all-things-root/500543-guide-how-create-goldcard.html
    ! Backup any phone data; pics and music you wish to keep, to your PC before proceeding.
    ! First take note of your software details ('Settings'

Advertisement
    :
    The Saint, ermalkoci, baddyp and 2 others like this.
  2. Guru82

Guru82 Well-Known Member

25th August 2012: Thread created. Added Unroot (untested).
    26th August 2012: Tested Unroot and modified instructions.
    30th August 2012: All guide methods verified to work with GB 2.3.5.
    31st August 2012: Downgrade ICS 2.02.0002 to GB 2.00.0002 Successful
    1st August 2012: All guide methods verified to work with ICS 4.0.4.
    6th May 2013: Updated guide to use SuperSU and 4EXT Recovery. Now personally using
    PAC-man v22.0.1 (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1672537). Seems awesome enough.PAC-man includes it's own superuser and doesn't require any other superuser app to function :)

See anything you think is wrong in the guide? Please, fill me in :)

Done:
    * CM7 (GB 2.3.7 ROM); Very fast bootup. Much faster than stock 2.3.5, and faster than custom ICS ROMS I've tried to date.
    * Successfully Unrooted with my backup, after CM7
    * Successful ICS 4.0.3 ROM; Virtuous Quattro RC3 (Android 4.0.3 Desire S [RipKid])... love it!... but camera very buggy (useless)
    * Successful ICS 4.0.3 ROM with HTC Sense 4.0; Fallout Evolution V4.4.0. This one seems fairly solid. Has all the HTC bells n' whistles. Seems to be battery hungry, but that's just an assumption.
    * Successful ICS 4.0.4 ROM; Vanilla ICE v2.0. Like this using Apex Launcher. Doesn't include HTC Sense, but that can be a good thing. With both compiled and downloaded camera apps, photos work but video fails to function. Don't appreciate compiled DX Battery Saver. Have to remove Adobe Air, Adobe Reader and others to be able to upgrade their versions via Play Store.
    * Tried CWM Recovery Touch. Cant power off at menu to flash boot.img in fastboot mode :(
    * Successful RUU update from "RUU_Saga_S_HKCSL_CHT_2.15.832.5_Radio_20.4801.30.0822U_3822.10.08.04_M_release_229399_signed.exe "to "RUU_SAGA_ICS_35_S_HTC_Europe_14.01.401.2_Radio_20.76.30.0835_3831.19.00.110_release_275068_signed". SIM remained unlocked :)
    + hboot 2.02.0002 and S-ON
    + Android 4.0.4, HTC Sense 3.6. Software/Build 14.01.401.2 [710RD], Kernel 3.0.16, Baseband 20.76.30.0835U_3831.19.00.110
    * Successfully downgrade RUU_SAGA_ICS_35_S_HTC_Europe_14.01.401.2_Radio_20.76.30.0835_3831.19.00.110_release_275068_signed to RUU_Saga_S_HKCSL_CHT_2.15.832.5_Radio_20.4801.30.0822U_3822.10.08.04_M_release_229399_signed
    (in the guide under Unroot section)
    * PACman ROM = Very good

I gotta thank all the mod devs who make this possible. Thanks a bunch mod and app devs.

I've put lots of time into modding my phone and a lot of time into creating this guide throughout the process. Please comment on it and let me know if you find any form of malpractice. Thanks
    The Saint, scotty85 and El Presidente like this.
  3. mustafaalbakri

mustafaalbakri New Member

Thank you, you are a life saver.
    I tried your method for going back from ics to gingerbird and it works fine
  4. Guru82

Guru82 Well-Known Member

Very happy it worked for you.
    I can't gloat about the creation of the method, it is a circulated method, but I can gloat about my presentation :p

Personally, I've settled for "RUU_SAGA_ICS_35_S_HTC_Europe_14.01.401.2_Radio_20. 76.30.0835_3831.19.00.110_release_275068_signed" with the bootloader unlocked, 4EXT Recovery flashed and SuperSU installed. This has allowed me to remove the things I don't use with Root App Delete;

• Dropbox
    • Flickr
    • FM Radio
    • FM Radio (plugin/wallpaper/theme)
    • Peep
    • Picasa Web Albums
    • QXDM2SD
    • Thai Keyboard
    • Trends Widget
    • Twitter
    • Twitter Widget
    • Watch
    • Watch Widget
    I changed the language to English (Australia) from English (United States) using MoreLocale 2. Then removed MoreLocale 2 as not needed once the settings in place. Can always install it again.
    Chose not to use Live Wallpaper.
    ... Sorry, I carry on a bit here, about live wallpapers
    Desire S Live Wallpaper Battery Consumption, using CM7 default Live Wallpaper:
    * This assumes a constant power draw, does not consider more power draw that would exist within normal usage. A base read was made with the Cool Tool - system stats on CM7, home screen with only Fancy Widgets Clock. All results should be taken as theoretical assumption.
    There is around 40-50mA power draw using CM7 default Live Wallpaper. Under normal condition battery draw may be around 130-140mA without it. Our standard battery is 1450 mAh.
    (mAh / mA = hr)
    Solid Wallpaper: 1450/135 = 10.741 hours
    Live Wallpaper: 1450/180 = 8.056 hours
    Solid vs Live: 10.741-8.056 = 2.685 hour, Solid non-live wallpaper wins
    That's around 25% more power usage!

If I was to stare at my live wallpaper until it went flat, the wallpaper would have used around one quarter (25%) of my battery. Under normal conditions, when I'm not appreciating the wonders of my Live Wallpaper, it sits in dormant memory and doesn't use CPU cycles, it doesn't consume power. So we could do a little more theoretical theatrics and say; hey, It ain't all that bad... but it eats when it's awake
  5. ronly2008

ronly2008 New Member

Guru82,

Your guide is absolutely brilliant, really appreciate the efforts you have gone through to put this step by step information together.

I was successfully able to downgrade my Desire S from android 4.0.4 (laggy and crashing) to 2.3.5.
  6. benbracha

benbracha New Member

Thanks, this is just a great guide!! Very detailed and easy to understand.

Unfortunately I have a problem which I cannot solve, even after downgrading my ICS which I had for about 3 weeks to Gingerbread using your guide..
    Bottom line - my phone keeps rebooting itself after showing the HTC logo.
    (After your Guide I could see the CM7 ROM starts to upload for few seconds, getting to main screen, and then phone reboots).

Here is the full details:

I have my HTC Desire S for about 6 month and it worked fine. About three weeks ago I installed the official ICS upgrade for this phone. The phone was rooted (by me) so I re-locked it in order to apply the update.

A week ago, while in visiting in Rome, I tried to open my phone after the flight and it started a reboot loop. After a while it somehow recovered, and from the HTC recovery log I saw there was some "radio failure".
    During the last week it would reboot from time to time, and I thought I would check it out when coming back home.

Now, trying to open it after the flight home - it won't even get beyond the HTC logo, just stuck in endless reboot loop.
    And after downgrading to Gingerbread - same thing.

Here is what I see at the HBOOT screen, hope it helps:
    *** UNLOCKED ***
    SAGA PVT SHIP S-ON RL
    HBOOT-2.02.0002
    RADIO-3831. 19.00.110
    eMMC-boot
    Jul 31 2012, 15:41:32

PLZ HELP!!

Thanks
  7. benbracha

benbracha New Member

Ok, It took me some time to and several posts... but I was able to re-install the ICS RUU and it seems that PROBLEM SOLVED!
    Phone has started, I could play with it a bit... and no reboots yet.

Let's see if it keeps like that for several hours / days... I hope it is not an hardware problem and only software...

Thanks!
  8. baddyp

baddyp New Member

Just wanted to say thanks for putting this guide together - it was very helpful and I followed it without any problems to root my Desire S running ICS 4.0.4.
  9. ru4me

ru4me New Member

can i applied same method with android 4.0.4 ICS updated phone
  10. ermalkoci

ermalkoci New Member

First of all thank you very much for the info, nothing else worked for me to re-flash the phone and install CWM recovery. Now I still need some info, since I'm failing at rooting my phone. I already have installed CWM recovery 5.0.2.0. Just a question, Is step nr. 5 "superuser" rooting the phone? why does it say that installin superSU requires "root"? How can I root if I don't have rooting access? Sorry for the dumb question but I'm really confused?! Thanks again!
  11. Dark Arus

Dark Arus New Member

Hello,
    Thanks you very much for this guide, it seems a lot easier to follow than others.

I only want super user access to remove bloatware and unnecessary ODEX files.
    I take it I only need to go up to part 5?

I am currently using:
    HTC Desire S
    HBOOT: 2.02.0002
    Android ver: 4.0.4
    S-ON

Will this method work for me?
    Also, as I am not changing my ROM, will I lose any data or settings?

Thanks
    Arus
  12. maxpower101

maxpower101 Member

Hi

Really need your help

I have followed your guide Root Desire S with hboot 2.0 and S-ON and when i have completed step 6 and power back up my phone is just stuck on the white screen with htc logo. I have reverted back to my original rom but really want to use a custom one. Any ideas as to what i'm doing wrong

HTC Desire S with RUU_SAGA_ICS_35_S_HTC_EU_14.01.401.2_20.76.30.0835_3831.19.00.110_275068 installed
    SAGA PVT SHIP S-ON RL
    HBOOT- 2.02.0002

I have fllowed all the steps and at step 6 I'm flashing JellyTime-CM10.1-R06.1-BLINDNDUMB
    Now this rom automatically does a full wipe of cache and dalvik cache etc before it installs the rom. Do i have to complete step 5 again (superuser) before i do step 6-8 to flash boot img ?

Any help would be fantastic
  13. The Saint

The Saint New Member

Hi!

Great great guide. Thx.
    Got a couple of questions, do...
    Unfortunately HTCDEV ICS for desire S has bugs... like link clicks on SMS and other stuff, from what i have read, possible to slve but only with s-off and rooted phone.

It is not possible just to install a WWE rru like "RUU_Saga_S_HTC_Europe_2.10.401.9_Radio_20.4801.30 . 0822U_3822.10.08.04_M_release_234765_signed" with the a goldcard inserted on the phone? If what it is needed is just to unbrand the phone, without having root or other stuff... or is it need to Hboot S-OFF unlock from HTCDEV?
    From fastboot i got CID = VODAPD18 which it means Vodafone Portugal. Is it possible to run above RRU + goldcard with no / little risk of bricking ? To install ruu with godcard i need to to put it on fastboot mode? What about possible future OTA updatesm still possible to have it after generic rru install?
    please advise.

Thx. again.
    The Saint

Edit:
  14. Guru82

Guru82 Well-Known Member

Hi,

I've updated the guide as I jumped on the PACman ROM bandwagon. Oh boy what a nice looking ROM :D Still testing, but so far very impressed. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1672537
    PACman took awhile at first boot as do most ROMs while the wizard prepares his magic.

ru4me
    Code (Text):
    can i applied same method with android 4.0.4 ICS updated phone
    -> Absolutely

ermalkoci
    Code (Text):
    First of all thank you very much for the info, nothing else worked for  me to re-flash the phone and install CWM recovery. Now I still need some  info, since I'm failing at rooting my phone. I already have installed  CWM recovery 5.0.2.0. Just a question, Is step nr. 5 "superuser" rooting  the phone? why does it say that installin superSU requires "root"? How  can I root if I don't have rooting access? Sorry for the dumb question  but I'm really confused?! Thanks again!
    -> No problem. Well is there?
    For stock official RUU's: Unlocked Bootloader > Recovery > SuperSU
    For custom ROM's: Unlocked Bootloader > Recovery > Wipe system > install Superuser > install ROM > install APPS > flash ROM's boot.img
    Hope I haven't missed anything

Dark Arus -> Yes, just don't wipe anything. Should be able to Unlocked Bootloader > Recovery > SuperSU and enjoy

maxpower101 -> Yes try the superuser again. Full wipe it yourself anyway. Sorry not much else I can suggest... Try PACman

The Saint -> I really wish I could assist, but I can't as I have not experience. Just try it after you backup

Sorry all for the late replies.

Regards,
    Andrew
  15. ekants

ekants New Member

What a wonderful and simplified article.....Thanks a Ton Mate!!God Bless You
  16. Mossikukulas

Mossikukulas New Member

Is the guide gone or am I missing something?
  17. Kaat72

Kaat72 Take a deep breath Guide

Have you read this thread? What are you looking for?
  18. Mossikukulas

Mossikukulas New Member

Well yes.. :)
    I think so at least.
    I started reading #1 from guru82 and I was getting very excited and saw the index so I started the reading the first item there which is Notes and it ends in :
    ! First take note of your software details ('Settings'

which seems like an unfinished sentence and I can't see the rest of the guide :(
  19. Kaat72

Kaat72 Take a deep breath Guide

I suggest you send a PM to (or in terminology of this new site : start a conversation with) the thread starter.
  20. Mossikukulas

Mossikukulas New Member

Ok will do thanks
    Kaat72 likes this.