• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[GUIDE] Root LG Lucid/Exceed

pcfreak30

Lurker
Aug 22, 2013
Hello everyone,

First this is my first post here and my first post as an android "modder" or even user. If your like me, you got an android only to spend HOURS on Google to crack it. Everything I did failed.

Well I would like to give a WORKING solution thats tested on my new Verizon LG Exceed Prepaid phone. Ironically you can not get it on the website anymore last I checked.

Now first I must credit "jcase" for the original LG Spectrum ICS root bash script. Unfortunately there are some errors in it and the SU binary is out of date.

What I have done is I went and manually did the process to see what exactly was wrong. I got ADB root, but couldn't get root permission on superuser or SuperSU. Seems there are 1 or more errors in the script or differences to this phone.

Based on this, I found that SU needs to be in /system/bin/su without ANY symlinks.

I have created a modified root kit set (both sh/bat), with an updated SU, and updated scripts.

You may go to: Superuser to get the latest SU binary at any time.

For compatibility info, I am on ICS 4.0.4, Software version VS840PP2, build IMM76D, kernel 3.0.8-perf.

I have posted in Lucid forums as no Exceed forums exists and have read Exceed is the pre-paid version of lucid.

As for USB mode, it really made no difference on the mode as I ran several times in MTP and "internet" with same errors before creating this. Just have debugging on and you should be good.

If you have any questions, I am willing to TRY to help given reasonable time as I don't think anyone should spend 6 hours on google and no help on IRC.

Thanks to everyone for the progress made to help me on my device, so good luck with the time investment I am returning back and have fun with android!

Attachments

• LG_Exceed_Rootkit.zip
    1.7 MB · Views: 1,702
I tried to run your rootkit but the command prompt would just tell me that "daemon started successfully" but it would stop there. I had the same issue with another rootkit I tried. This is my first time trying to root a phone so I'm probably just making some dumb mistake but I'm using an LG Lucid 4G

Upvote 0
I tried it but I had to modify the run-windows.bat file via notepad. Also remember to get Superuser.apk and put it in the same directory as the toolkit.

I modified the run-windows.bat file because everything was scrunched together and I don't think it was running the commands correctly but here is my edited on that I just spaced out a lot more

PHP:
@echo off
cd "%~dp0"

echo "[*] LG Exceed ICS root script"
echo "[*] Copyright (c) 2013 pcfreak30"
echo "[*] Original code by jcase"
echo "[*]"
echo "[*] Roots the ICS Android Version on the LG Exceed"
echo "[*] May work with other devices. I nor am jcase (original author) am responsible for ANYTHING that happens, so good luck :)"
echo "[*]"
echo "[*] Before continuing, ensure USB debugging is enabled and that your"
echo "[*] phone is connected via USB."
echo "[*]"
echo "[*] Press enter to root your phone..."
pause

echo [*] 

echo [*] 
echo Waiting for device...

adb kill-server

adb wait-for-device

echo [*] Device found.

adb shell "rm /data/vpnch/vpnc_starter_lock && ln -s /data/local.prop /data/vpnch/vpnc_starter_lock"

echo [*] Rebooting...

adb reboot

echo [*] Waiting for reboot...

adb wait-for-device

adb shell "rm /data/vpnch/vpnc_starter_lock"
adb shell "echo 'ro.kernel.qemu=1' > /data/local.prop"

echo [*] Rebooting again...

adb reboot

echo [*] Waiting for reboot...

adb wait-for-device

echo [*] Installing root tools... 

adb remount

adb push su /system/bin/su

adb shell "chmod 6755 /system/bin/su"

adb push Superuser.apk /system/app/Superuser.apk 

adb push busybox /system/xbin/busybox

adb shell "chmod 755 /system/xbin/busybox"

adb shell "/system/xbin/busybox --install /system/xbin"

echo [*] Cleaning up...

adb shell "rm /data/local.prop"

echo [*] Rebooting one last time...

adb reboot

adb wait-for-device

echo [*] Root complete, enjoy!

echo [*] Press any key to exit.

pause

adb kill-server

Upvote 0
0ois.png

this is what i mean

Upvote 0
I dont know why it wont let me root. It says root successful but i believe it is not. When i hit enter it keeps repeating the lines "abd' is not recognized as an internal or external command..." blah blah blah. I'll post an image. and the whole process happens in a second.
What should I do please help :(

Make sure you extracted all the files to the same place, adb.exe should be in the same folder as the run-windows.bat file that you are running.

Upvote 0
Felixjohan , Thanks for your reply. yes debugging has been on. as is unknown source. what i am reading is the bootloader is locked. i had no problem before rooting my older lucid on vs840pp2. that phone was stolen. new phone came with vs840pp3 installed and will not get past bootloader. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Go to https://app.box.com/view_shared/hpapn930pad7afw85bth

And download LG spectrum ics, this should work

Upvote 0
I DID IT, I ROOTED MY VS840PP3 !!!!!!!. thats the good news. the bad news is i do not know how i got to that point. or i do not have a path of bread crumbs to follow. so i will surly get lost if i try to go back the same way. I managed to get root somehow. how i found out was download 4 apps from google app store and all 4 said ROOT=TRUE. so i downloaded superuser and update that on the screen very cool to see it work in real time. so, it was the install of BusyBox and that has all the tools needed for android. and after see that it works I downloaded adblock plus and got it going and now blocking ads on my apps. so after reading for days about verizon blocking bootloader I thought that root would never happen,i was wrong. and verizon says it is a cumtomer service issue.(NO, IT IS ABOUT YOU HAVING TO SEE F-ING ADS AND NOT BEING ABLE TO DO A DAMN THING ABOUT IT SO THAT THEY CAN FILL POCKETS FAT). FU Verizon and FU Google.

Reactions: felixjohan
Upvote 0
I don't think it's still being sold, at least not through Verizon. I just got a Lucid VS840ZV9 running 4.0.4, though. My phone got stolen and a friend gave me this Lucid as a replacement. It blows going from 4.4 back down to ICS.

Does this rootkit get around the locked bootloader issue on Lucids running ICS? It looks like there were some other rootkits posted back in 2012 that rooted but did not get around the bootloader problem. Is it possible to install a ROM on this phone or am I stuck with ICS?

Thank you!

Upvote 0
I don't think it's still being sold, at least not through Verizon. I just got a Lucid VS840ZV9 running 4.0.4, though. My phone got stolen and a friend gave me this Lucid as a replacement. It blows going from 4.4 back down to ICS.

Does this rootkit get around the locked bootloader issue on Lucids running ICS? It looks like there were some other rootkits posted back in 2012 that rooted but did not get around the bootloader problem. Is it possible to install a ROM on this phone or am I stuck with ICS?

Thank you!

Welcome to our community, stcarlso has a CM10 ROM that works quite well on the Lucid. http://androidforums.com/lucid-all-things-root/697245-rom-beta-cyanogenmod-10-lg-lucid.html

This ROM uses the Gingerbread bootloader, as it is the only one that can be unlocked. You will need to follow the instructions exactly to end up with CM10 on the Lucid. Alternately I have all the files you will need and detailed instructions in my LG Lucid Repository. Enjoy.

Reactions: landshark
Upvote 0
Hello! I'm brand new to the forums, and to rooting in general. I've read a ton of these posts, tried a number of options, but I can't for the life of me get my LG Lucid to root.

Okay, so it turns out the driver for my device didn't update completely, and I had to manually install it before the process would recognize my device. So never mind, I'm all good. xD

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones