• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[Guide] Root/ROM FAQ/Tutorial (for 1.5)

ok i've tried auto root numerous times on xp 64 bit

this is what i do

usb debugging is on

unmount sd card in the settings

plug phone in

open prekitchen

run the self check, everything passes

check with google

run

and this is what i get

root.jpg

I've tried putting the .img file on my sd card and it still can't find it

Upvote 0
I would suggest doing it manually from there. I've seen something similar before, and there are a few steps missing there in your cmd prompt.

Did you download the auto-root fix for pre-kitchen? I don't even see your asroot2 file being pushed.

There are several steps missing, read the manual version and compare it to what you see when doing the auto root and viewing the cmd prompt. You should see what I'm referring to.

Upvote 0
Thanks for putting this here. I tried the auto root method but couldn't get it to work, so I took the plunge and did it manually. Everything worked great and now I'm running Fresh 1.1 :D

Quick question, Since I couldn't get the auto root to work, can I still use the kitchen to put the NFL app back onto the phone?

Upvote 0
Just finished rooting. YES! Thanks for the guide. There is on very important thing to fix though. Code #8 in Step #7 of the manual root is wrong. Please take the "8:" out of the code section.

I had a heck of a time getting the phone to show up the first time. I kept getting the "device not found issue." Installing PDANet solved my problem. Also, it should be noted that the USB Debugging option is on the phone. I kept looking in the SDK. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
I can make it to "Step 8" but then when I reboot, my phone just freezes on the "htc" logo. Have to pull the battery out and restart. I downloaded the recovery image from the link provided in "Step 3."

I first tried this on my PC desktop (XP) but after the first time I plugged my phone into it, it stopped recognizing it (I tried mounting on the phone, too). PdaNet would pop up so something was recognizing it being plugged in, but I could never browse the files in Explorer or anything.

So anyway, I ended up using my MacBook using VMWare Fusion (also XP). The first time I tried to root I was confused by the "8:" that the OP mistakenly put into part "7:" of the commands and I think I botched the commands as a result. When I did the first reboot, everything force-closed and my phone would not even recognize the Sprint signal. I had to do an RUU restore, which got me back running on stock. Since then, I have tried it again and again and I just can't get it to reboot into recovery. I have tried mounting the card to make sure the .img file is there, and it's there. I've tried deleting it and re-doing those steps in the manual root tutorial, but nothing. I even tried the fresh auto-root but got stuck at the same step.

I should also point out that a few times when I have run the cmd prompt steps, it told me it was unable to push the .img file, so I tinkered with the phone's settings ("Mount"-->"Turn off USB file sharing"-->going into Settings and "Unmounting" from there, etc., even though I was unmounted before I begun the command prompts) and usually some variation of those steps allows the .img to successfully push, at least according to the command prompt.

I guess I am officially rooted now, but I don't think I can do much with my phone without the ability to reboot into recovery mode. Manually rebooting and holding "Home" gives me the same frozen "htc" screen.

Any help would be VERY much appreciated. I was hesitant to try rooting because I was afraid I would brick my phone, but now that I'm so close I really want to finish it off!

Upvote 0
I am also experiencing issues with the recovery steps. Pre-Kitchen generated a couple of pages worth of out of memory errors, so I went with the manual steps.

All of the entries in step 7 appear to go smoothly until line 18. When I enter the flash command, there is no error message, but the # root symbol appears immediately. There is no delay whatsoever, and I'm doubtful that any flashing has taken place. When I enter the reboot recovery command from line 19, the phone vibrates briefly, then freezes and goes dead, completely unresponsive.

I pull the battery and restart while holding the volume rocker down. I get to the white menu screen with green error messages scrolling by too fast to read or copy down. I think the 1st one says no image present, or something to that effect. I hit the home key to reboot into recovery mode and the phone freezes on the HTC logo.

I pull the battery, do a full reboot, check the sdcard, and I see recovery-RA-heroc-v1.5.2.img in the top dir. So I'm stuck at step 8, as I do not want to flash Fresh before successfully performing and copying a Nandroid backup.

Any help greatly appreciated, and TIA.

Upvote 0
win7 i get error device not found :thinking:

I hacked windows phones no problem

jail break my ipod touch, piece of cake

root android phone...... I just can't seem to do it

Do you have HTC Sync Installed? Do you have pdaNet installed? Do you have USB Debugging enabled?

Also, thanks for the notice about the typo in that step, it is fixed. My apologies about that.

As for the 2 of you having problems with the recovery img, when you push the recovery img to your phone, does it show as being successful (look at the video around 4:30, you will see it show this step and what is displayed)?

Do either/both of you happen to have a "With Google" phone? I have heard some people say that they have had problems with the 1.5.2 recovery img and the "With Google" phone. I have one, and did not have any problems, but some people have and as a result have flashed the 1.2.3 img instead (this img is in the root folder of pre-kitchen if you have it downloaded). You could try pushing that file and flashing it instead.

Also, if you do mount your SD Card to push that file, or to check and see if the RA is there, please be sure you are unmounting your SD card before doing a reboot recovery.

In addition, after you have pushed the RA to your SD card, and you type in "adb shell reboot" your phone should reboot and will still look as it did. Wait until your phone is completely up before continuing. Again, please make sure you SD card is not mounted, that you have USB Debugging Enabled, then continue.

Upvote 0
Ok so I am planing on doing this via the Auto Root method this weekend. I have downloaded PreKitchen and the fix for it on my home computer. I just need to do it when I have more time and not so tired which may be tonight or Saturday. A few more questions for all of you that have done it.

I plan on doing the following in the following order... Root, Fresh 1.1, Gumbo Kernel, SetCPU

Will all the apps I downloaded from the market still be on my phone or do I have to reinstall them? (I have the Millage app that has a lot of data in it that I do not want to loose)

Will my current call logs stay on the phone? (this is not a huge thing to me, its just fun to use Phonalyzer to see who I call the most since getting the phone.)

Will all my home screens (I only use 5 out of 7 right now) stay the same as I have them setup? Took me forever to get them just how I like them and need to know if I should take a photo of each screen so I can set it back up that way)

Will I have to relink all my stuff? Facebook profile, Google profile, exchange account, etc? Basically when I install the Fresh 1.1 ROM will it be like I just walked out of Sprint with a brand new phone out of the box?

Is the WIFI Tethering easy to setup? What are the speeds? How reliable is it? (this is one of the main reasons I am doing this...that and the speed)

That's all for now. Thanks.

Upvote 0
Do you have HTC Sync Installed? Do you have pdaNet installed? Do you have USB Debugging enabled?

Also, thanks for the notice about the typo in that step, it is fixed. My apologies about that.

As for the 2 of you having problems with the recovery img, when you push the recovery img to your phone, does it show as being successful (look at the video around 4:30, you will see it show this step and what is displayed)?

Do either/both of you happen to have a "With Google" phone? I have heard some people say that they have had problems with the 1.5.2 recovery img and the "With Google" phone. I have one, and did not have any problems, but some people have and as a result have flashed the 1.2.3 img instead (this img is in the root folder of pre-kitchen if you have it downloaded). You could try pushing that file and flashing it instead.

Also, if you do mount your SD Card to push that file, or to check and see if the RA is there, please be sure you are unmounting your SD card before doing a reboot recovery.

In addition, after you have pushed the RA to your SD card, and you type in "adb shell reboot" your phone should reboot and will still look as it did. Wait until your phone is completely up before continuing. Again, please make sure you SD card is not mounted, that you have USB Debugging Enabled, then continue.

Thanks for the response. I do have HTC Sync and PdaNet installed and USB debugging is enabled. My phone does not say "With Google" on the back, so I don't think it's a "with Google" phone.

As far as pushing the recover img, the first time I tried it (when I got all the force-close errors) it seemed to push no problem and even rebooted into recovery, did the backup, etc., but then when I booted again everything continued to force-close and I had no Sprint service. That was when I decided to use RUU to factory reset.

After the reset and I tried it again (this time recognizing the typo in the command prompts), it did not push the recovery img. It said "permission denied." So I just started toggling with mounting/unmounting the SD card until it finally went through, and then proceeded. Since then, I have not been able to boot into recovery mode at all.

I should note that I encountered the same issue as uminchu when doing the flash command. The # sign comes up almost immediately. Like one, two seconds tops. Is that normal?

One other thing I want to check is to see if I'm even mounting/unmounting properly. "Mounting" just means dragging down the notification bar, clicking "Enable USB file sharing" and then clicking "Mount," correct? Then when I need to unmount, I usually click Settings-->SD Card but "Unmount" is always grayed out. I need to turn off USB file sharing first, and then "Unmount" is available. Am I doing that correctly? I had always thought that enabling/disabling USB file sharing was synonymous with mounting/unmounting but figured I'd go into Settings-->SD Card just to be safe. I'm using Fusion/XP on my MacBook so my only option on the computer is to "Safely Remove Hardware" which doesn't seem to do anything... so I haven't even been messing with that.

Thanks again for the help. Really hoping we can all figure this out and get the latest ROM/kernel up and running.

Upvote 0
All of the apps that I downloaded were still there as well as my call history. My homescreens were unchanged also. I did it the manual way, but I assume using the auto root would have the same effect.

But was that just from rooting or was that from putting fresh 1.1 on there? I understand rooting is pretty much just unlocking admin privileges but when you put Fresh 1.1 your pretty much putting a new OS it seems. Thats where I am concerned. When I load Fresh 1.1 I will have to reload everything. (this is mainly just so I know how much time to budget to do this.)

Upvote 0
Do you have HTC Sync Installed?
Yes.
Do you have pdaNet installed?
No.
Do you have USB Debugging enabled?
Yes.

Mine responds with "Transferred 3356672 bytes in 1.816 seconds."

If you mean does my phone have "With Google" stenciled in white on the back battery cover, then no, just a small HTC logo at the bottom. I may try the 1.2.3 file as you suggest, but again, I do not have with Google on my phone. Would you please check the size of the img file that you pushed to your card? My 1.5.2 file is 3,356,672 bytes.

Also, if you do mount your SD Card to push that file, or to check and see if the RA is there, please be sure you are unmounting your SD card before doing a reboot recovery. In addition, after you have pushed the RA to your SD card, and you type in "adb shell reboot" your phone should reboot and will still look as it did. Wait until your phone is completely up before continuing. Again, please make sure you SD card is not mounted, that you have USB Debugging Enabled, then continue.
I never mounted the card. HTC Sync was already installed on my PC, and debugging was enabled at all times. When I try to reboot to recovery mode, the phone never comes up, no matter how long I wait. If I do it from the CMD line, it goes dead and stays that way. If I do it manually with the volume rocker, it freezes right after the HTC logo comes up. Either way, no matter how long I wait, it's completely frozen and unresponsive until I pull the battery.

Thank you so much for your help. I've probably goofed up some ridiculously simple noob thing. Any further ideas and/or input is both welcome and appreciated.

Upvote 0
But was that just from rooting or was that from putting fresh 1.1 on there? I understand rooting is pretty much just unlocking admin privileges but when you put Fresh 1.1 your pretty much putting a new OS it seems. Thats where I am concerned. When I load Fresh 1.1 I will have to reload everything. (this is mainly just so I know how much time to budget to do this.)

That was from rooting, installing Fresh 1.1, and the Gumbo kernel. All of my contacts, info, and apps were still there.

Upvote 0
Just FYI, if you haven't been getting the performance boost you've expected after installing fresh1.1, make sure you don't have a task mananger/killer app running. I had a stock sprint hero rom, then I rooted, and then put 1.1 and was totally disappointed until I uninstalled "Advanced Task Killer" which is one of the most popular apps on the market right now btw...:thinking:

Hope this helps anyone who was wondering why they didn't get the results everyone has been posting about here regarding custom roms. It made a huge difference for me!! Thanks to fresh and everyone else writing this great tutorial ;)

Cheers!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones