[Guide]rooting and adding CWM Recovery to 2.3.5 with Corn Kernel

1. geeve420

geeve420 Well-Known Member

I Wanted to get this guide posted so that others could get CWM and root done at the same time. I can

Advertisement
  2. CamaroZ28c

CamaroZ28c Well-Known Member

Hey Geeve, I used the kernel in your last guide when I rooted. Should I flash this kernel instead? Are you finding it more stable? One thing I've noticed since rooting is that my GPS went to hell. Ironically, it used to work great, all the way back to 2.1.
    Thanks!
  3. geeve420

You can give it a shot for sure. You won't lose root and you will gain CWM. I don't see it hurting anything to give it a flash. I have had no issues with this kernel at all.

Geeve
  4. markycaptivate

markycaptivate New Member

First, I have to thank everyone who has posted anything about Captivate and Android and root and recovery. I would strongly suggest anyone who ever considers flashing their phone to know how to jig their phone into download mode. Helpful videos can be found on You Tube.

I was running MiuI Rom and loving it until it crashed yesterday and went into a boot loop. Making matters worse I just replaced my hard drive and did not have the samsung drivers loaded on my computer. After managing to get the google usb drivers to load with the sdk I finally manages a successful adb devices. My joy turned to grief though when adb reboot download sent my phone right back into a boot loop. I have never felt so weary.

Starting fresh this morning I built the jig and nearly wet myself with delight when it went into download mode. Loaded all the drivers for samsung. Ran odin. Plugged in the usb and may have squeeled a bit like an eight year old girl when it returned a COM. I did a master clear first, thinking maybe that would help prepare the way for the stock flash and it just HUNG forever.

Took out battery and replaced, restarted odin, jigged into download, connected usb and praise Jesus it flashed me back to stock. Using Kies I am now on stock Gingerbread and really thankful to have my phone working. I like having root authority though and that brought me here. I will be doing this for sure in the next few days.

Anyways, thanks for the hard work on putting this all together and thanks to EVERYONE who has contributed to knowledge base on these devices. I am really thankful and all of you are a huge part in what makes me an android fan for life.

If we could all get drunk somewhere I would buy shots.

Thanks so MUCH.

Mark
    Android26 and geeve420 like this.
  5. markycaptivate

Ok all sorted. Now I have root and clockwork recovery. What do you guys suggest for best backups? Is there anyway to fully backup the entire device so in the event of catastrophe your system, cwm, and root can be recovered?? Or is backup limited to app and system data like wi-fi settings?

Just curious.

Thanks again...nice having root back and a functioning clockworks.

Mark
  6. geeve420

For the time being titanium backup is the way to go. I have read that nandroid backup in recovery can brick your phone. They are working on getting it working, but no one knows when it will be ready.

Geeve
  7. markycaptivate

They say the updated Corn kernel has functioning Nandroid. Anyone tried it yet?

Thanks,

Mark
  8. geeve420

I haven't yet. I saw that too, just not sure I want to risk it personally :)

Geeve
  9. Ravarros

Ravarros New Member

Hey there ,

I wanted to say that even being a relative noob to rooting and android this made it SOOOOOOO easy to do . Rooted my Samsung captivate I897 after upgrading from FROYO to Gingerbread 2.3.5 . Worked like a charm and went off without a hitch . After getting VERY frustrated and near bricking the thing twice earlier trying to root this thing this was a real joy to find your guide.

Please please please keep up the good work . It is a great way for us all to learn :)

Thanks Again Man
  10. jacobbflaggiv

jacobbflaggiv Member

Has anyone had a problem with their wifi since this update? What I have noticed is after a few days when connected to a wifi network the 3G data connection seems to still be active simultaneously. This is observed via the home screen. If I reboot then the wifi works as advertised???
  11. geeve420

I personally haven't noticed anything like that. You may want to follow the Kernel info link and try 7.06 or 7.0a. just an idea.

Geeve
  12. speedfreak32

speedfreak32 Well-Known Member

Hello Ti backup and goodbye bloatware! Thanks again!
  13. jacobbflaggiv

jacobbflaggiv Member

When I first loaded the 2.3.5 with Corn Kernel 7.05 boot up was quick. First the corn screen, then AT&T for a few seconds, finally Samsung logo and media scanner finishing. What I am experiencing after loading app.'s is corn screen, black screen for awhile (30 - 60 sec.), an abbreviated AT&T and finally media scanner running for a bit. Is this normal or do I have a bad flash?
  14. geeve420

I changed my boot animation and am running a rom but my boot sequence is: at&t static screen, corn screen with status bar, BIOS boot screen then media scanner finishing. Seems what you have would be normal, some apps have to start with the phone so your boot time will increase a little. Just like a PC would. Let me reboot my phone and I will tell you how long it takes

Geeve

Edit: about 22 seconds here. I do have a bit of black screen, but that is the time it takes for me to boot up, not counting the remainder of the disk scan.
    Android26 and jacobbflaggiv like this.
  15. jacobbflaggiv

jacobbflaggiv Member

I've looked in here and on XDA but haven't found anything truly definative about how to load a new ROM. So people are saying revert back to 2.1 with ODIN, so say not to. Very confusing and I work in electronics!!! Do you have a link to a good guide?
  16. geeve420

I don't. I maybe able to cook one up in the next day or two.

Really if you have CWM and are rooted stock 2.3.5 it's quite simple. download the flashable zip of the rom you want, make sure it is in the SD home folder, boot phone into recovery, wipe cache, wipe dalvik cache (under advanced), you can do a wipe data/factory reset (some Roms require this and will tell you on the download page, you will lose user data), then choose install zip from SD, choose the rom zip and say ok. I have never had to go back to 2.1. Some will suggest if you go from Rom to Rom to go to stock first (required if leaving MUIU or CM7), which I do as well but I go to stock 2.3.5 with Odin from here:

[Stock ROMs](OneClicks Master Collection)+[Kernels (Stock & w/ CWM)]+[Modems] UPDATED - xda-developers

Post #3 for AT&T and post #4 for Rogers.

Then I reflash the corn Kernel, root and flash again.I don't mind losing user data though LOL.

I would suggest you read the install instructions for the ROM you want to flash, they may have things it requires. some may also be One click installs like Saurom is.

Hope this made some kind of sense LOL.
    Geeve
    Android26 and jacobbflaggiv like this.
  17. jacobbflaggiv

jacobbflaggiv Member

I screwed up my phone trying to integrate ROM updates with TI Backup - wouldn't recommend it until bugs are worked out and had to reload. Hadn't noticed before but it seems like with the Corn Kernel that some of the AT&T bloatware is removed like Mobile TV and a few others. Did I get a bad flash or ...? I did perform a backup with CWM before really starting anything else after the rooting. Could that have caused it?
  18. geeve420

Nandroid backup with CWM is a bit of a mess still (could brick your phone), it could be a factor in this. The kernel shouldn't effect what programs are installed, that is controled by the ROM itself.

"The Linux kernel starts up in a similar way on Android as on other systems. It will set up everything that is needed for the system to run. Initialize interrupt controllers, set up memory protections, caches and scheduling"

Taken from Here:

Enea Android Blog: The Android boot process from power on

If you took a backup with TiB while still on Froyo, best to just restore the app data after download and install the app fresh. sometimes Froyo info doesn't play nice with GB. The bloatware is different on GB, you may just have realized some things were missing or have a different name.

Geeve
  19. jacobbflaggiv

jacobbflaggiv Member

20. jacobbflaggiv

jacobbflaggiv Member

Did some experimenting. Restoring the Nandroid Backup didn't fix the "missing" apps but doing a factory data reset and clearing cache via CWM did take the "pseudo" icons off the home screen. Just an observation.
  21. jacobbflaggiv

jacobbflaggiv Member

Experienced reboot twice while talking via headset. Battery was half full on phone and the same on headset. When phone came back up the battery indicator was red (really dead). Plugged phone into charger and a few sec.'s later bsttery indicated half again. Possibly the result of not running a full charge of battery after performing the upgrade and root with corn kernel 7.05. Something like conditioning a laptop battery?
  22. jacobbflaggiv

jacobbflaggiv Member

Did some research and experimenting. Change the battery to 100% with the device off. Boot into recovery mode, wipe battery data via CWM and that should reset the battery correctly.
    Android26 and geeve420 like this.
  23. geeve420

Good call! There is also a battery calibration app in the market.

Geeve
  24. djhile

djhile New Member

First of all I registered just to say THANK YOU for this!! I've been searching for a good hour for a simple guide to root after MANY other methods had failed... all of them seemed to be for froyo while the Captivate I just got had gingerbread on it.

After rooting and installing this recovery, I tried to flash an ICS ROM on XDA [DEV][RC4] Team ICSSGS [Android 4.0.3] but when I selected the option to flash from zip and selected the ROM's .zip file, it scrolled very fast and then booted back out to the main menu.

What can I do? Am I missing something? I've searched... I just don't know exactly what I am searching for. Would love to have a new custom ROM running, even if it can't be 4.0 ICS.

Thanks in advance for your help!... thought I'd come over here instead of getting me head chopped off for being a n00b over at xda :)
  25. geeve420

Let's start easy, sounds to me like you have a bad download of the rom. I would try to download again then try to flash the new download. This has happened to me before.

Geeve