• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Guide]rooting and adding CWM Recovery to 2.3.5 with Corn Kernel

Thanks for this root guide. I picked up a used cappy to keep as a backup device. I had to search around a bit to find this guide. Several others were out there, but they often required many more steps and wanted you to go back to eclair. This root guide works flawlessly.
After rooting I went to cm10 and on to cm10.1 - This phone is awesome on those roms especially when you consider it's age.
My only problem now is trying to get the google play store app to work without having a sim card. I installed gapps both times I did the cm install but it's just not there with all the other google programs.

depending on the version of gapps, you might not have Google Play, you might have the older Market app. Use that to connect to the store and it should update to play momentarily.

Upvote 0
I need your help. I have Samsung galaxy s sgh-i897. last night I was rooted my cell by using odin3 and corn kernel.

after that success full operation, I upgraded firm ware from gingerbread to jelly bean. that was also done smoothly. but after having reboot the device, there was no signals, I tried so many times by different ways to start the network but each time I got failed.

now an hour ago, I connected my phone with my laptop and started odin and followed the step 1 (which I have mentioned on top) i thought that process will bring the ginger bread. now after that process my phone stucks on systems crops screen. nothing is happening. I search every thing every where but found nothing.

Please help me to sort out this

Upvote 0
Hi all. New to this forum. I tried the kernel install and root on my i897 as described, and it worked like a charm. Thanks for the clear instructions.
I now have root and cwm, but this did not fix the original problem that brought me here: My phone only boots into download mode, unless it is plugged into either my computer or a wall charger. I have tried the following, to no avail:
- factory wipe
- cleaning various caches
- 1 click unbricks and stock Rom installs
- flashing 2.3.5 KK4 Rom (currently installed)
- corn kernel and root per instructions in this post
- cleaning out usb port with acetone and electronics cleaner

Any ideas on how to push the power and have the phone boot normally?

Thanks

Upvote 0
Hi all. New to this forum. I tried the kernel install and root on my i897 as described, and it worked like a charm. Thanks for the clear instructions.
I now have root and cwm, but this did not fix the original problem that brought me here: My phone only boots into download mode, unless it is plugged into either my computer or a wall charger. I have tried the following, to no avail:
- factory wipe
- cleaning various caches
- 1 click unbricks and stock Rom installs
- flashing 2.3.5 KK4 Rom (currently installed)
- corn kernel and root per instructions in this post
- cleaning out usb port with acetone and electronics cleaner

Any ideas on how to push the power and have the phone boot normally?

Thanks

Are you saying that it boots normally when a USB cord is plugged in? Have you tried it with the cord plugged into the phone and not plugged into the PC? It sounds like you may have a short in the phone's USB port.

Once you have your phone booted while plugged in, what happens when you unplug it?

You could try taking a small brush with some denatured alcohol and cleaning it out, then blowing it out with compressed air in case it's just dirty.

Upvote 0
Hi. thanks for getting back to me.

Yes, if I power the phone down and plug in a cable (either to computer or wall charger) the battery charging icon appears on the screen. From there, I hold down the power button, and it boots normally. If I plug in a cable not attached to the computer, it goes to download mode.
Once the phone boots, it acts completely normally; USB cable can be plugged in or unplugged without issue.
A couple other notes -
- Once in download mode, I can only get it out of it by pulling the battery.
- With the phone powered down and not plugged into anything, I cannot get into recovery mode via any button combination.

Upvote 0
It seems to me that if it boots normally (or semi-normally) when plugged into a power source, but only gives you d/l mode otherwise, and that the you can boot into recovery when plugged in but not unplugged it is a problem with either the button or the USB connector. I don't think the bootloader is the issue. It probably won't brick you, but I doubt it will fix it either.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones