[Guide]ROOTING HTC android 2.2.1 or lower with unrEVOked - Windows (updated 20th December 2012)

1. dadi-sk

dadi-sk Member

Hello,

I need your help. I've successfully flashed this ROM into my HTC Desire. When I restored all the apps and data with Titanium everything seemed to get back into place. I was trying to change the wallpaper and it did not work therefore I decided to restart the phone. Now when I get to type my password for the lock screen it gives me the info that I am typing the wrong password. Without the correct password I can not access my phone.

What happened?
  2. dadi-sk

dadi-sk Member

Anybody?
  3. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

Try a factory reset via recovery?
  4. dadi-sk

dadi-sk Member

I can't get into recovery mode...
  5. dadi-sk

dadi-sk Member

I tried by holding the down volume and power button but there is no response from the phone.
  6. SUroot

From off?
  7. dadi-sk

dadi-sk Member

Yeap from off, does it have to connected to the PC with a USB? Or it does not matter?
  8. SUroot

Not connected is fine. I find it odd that the phone does not respond when turning it on in this way. What about fastboot (back and power)?
  9. dadi-sk

dadi-sk Member

I can even receive sms messages and see all the notifications on the top of the screen but I just can't log in.
  10. dadi-sk

dadi-sk Member

Got it...I had to remove the battery and place it back again.
  11. dadi-sk

dadi-sk Member

What happens if I go to Clear storage? Will the phone still be rooted? Or it will get back to factory mode?
  12. SUroot

clear storage will wipe your SD card. You have to go into recovery via that menu and then wipe data / factory reset
    dadi-sk likes this.
  13. coffeebeankat

coffeebeankat Well-Known Member

ok so in that case should i format the card and recreate the goldcard without a partition ? Then retry the ruu via pc?
  14. SUroot

may as well, yeah. We dont need that partition yet.... Although you should be able to make a partitioned card gold.... have you a spare?
  15. coffeebeankat

I have a spare 1gb card is this big enough?
  16. SUroot

It can be as tiny as you have got as long as it has sapce for a couple of MB's

Make this into a goldcard if you can then and then you still have your partitioned one safe.
  17. coffeebeankat

hooray, i used another sd card formatted it and ran the goldcard tool, followed this after success with the ruu and all has gone well. so whats my next move?
  18. SUroot

Follow the root guide here ;) (hopefully)
  19. coffeebeankat

cool so no need to downgrade anymore then? just use unrevoked?

do i keep the sd card with goldcard in when running unrevoked or swap it back to the partitioned one?
  20. SUroot

No need to keep it in. Give it a go hopefully will work without downgrading
  21. edimck

edimck New Member

Hi, SUroot, just a note to say thanks for this guide and the FAQ. It was a lot of reading but I successfully upgraded my phone to Cyanogenmod 7.0.3 at the weekend with a 1GB sd-ext partition and the s2e app meaning I have memory to install apps again at last. Thanks to your info (and some other contributions on here) I knew what I was doing most of the time and the process was mostly pain free.
    SUroot likes this.
  22. coffeebeankat

OMG OMG i have rooted the phone, wow after such a journey i have succeed.

ok so can i now switch my sd card back to the one with partition?
    and what do i do next? back up? how do i get a custom rom on it? do i have to have a certain one? i need this apps2sd as well.

thanks for you help so far i couldnt have done this without your help.:rolleyes:
  23. SUroot

Ok cool, now you're rooted.

Follow the links to my FAQ in the first post and have a good read. Lots there about ROMs, backups and how to do things..

Well done, got there in the end. have fun.
  24. Rastaman-FB

Rastaman-FB Well-Known Member

well done for persevering
    coffeebeankat likes this.
  25. coffeebeankat

right i have been reading/learning and would like to install the cyanogen rom, so can i ask do i have to update the radio or is the current ok? also is it just a case of putting the rom zip on the root of the sd card running nandroid backup and flashing the rom?

is the anything else i should consider or do ?

im looking forward to this finally.