[Guide] Step-by-Step Rooting

Last Updated: 2014-12-28 06:26:14
  1. Rolo42

Rolo42 Well-Known Member

This guide contains soup-to-nuts step-by-step procedures for rooting your Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 (GT-N80xx). If you follow these instructions precisely, everything should work fine. If it doesn't, report precisely what you did and precisely what the outcome was as well as any other relevant information--help us help you.

The usual disclaimer: You are responsible for your actions and the consequences.

First and foremost, to get your Note to talk to your PC, you will need the Samsung drivers for Windows:

1. Download: (Google for proper file)
    2. Install
    3. Reboot
    4. Plug your Note into your PC, let it find/configure drivers
    5. Test: open Windows Explorer, click on "Computer" to see if your Note is listed as a device; browse it

Rooting

I tested this on a GT-8013, firmware UEALI3 but should work on any model and firmware. This will increment your flash counter; Triangle Away will reset this (not tested by me but others report success): Play store link

1. Ensure aforementioned Samsung USB drivers are working properly
    2. Download recovery-twrp-2.3.0.0-p4noterf.tar.md5: (Google for proper file)
    3. Download CWM-SuperSU-v0.94.zip: Link
    4. Connect Note to PC if it isn't already; copy CWM-SuperSU-v0.94.zip to the Note
    5. Download, install and run Odin: Link
    6. Put the Note in download mode: press and hold volume down and power buttons; when the boot-up screen appears, release the power button only; when the warning screen appears, release volume button
    7. Press volume up to continue to Odin mode
    8. In Odin (Windows), verify the "ID:COM" section shows a COM port (the first rectangle)
    9. Uncheck Auto Reboot option
    10. Click PDA button and select the recovery-twrp-2.3.0.0-p4noterf.tar.md5 file
    11. After Odin verifies MD5 hash, press Start button; if MD5 check failed, delete the file, re-download it and try again
    12. When flash finishes ("RES OK !!" in Odin), press and hold volume up and power buttons; release power button when boot screen appears; release volume up when TeamWin screen appears
    13. Press Install button
    14. Select the CWM-SuperSU-v0.94.zip file
    15. Press Reboot System button
    16. Run the SuperSU app; click yes to update. You are now rooted.

Highly Recommended:
    17. Install GooManager from the Play store; run it
    18. From GooManager menu, select Install OpenRecoveryScript and answer the prompts
    19. Press and hold power and volume up buttons; release power button when boot screen appears; release volume button when TeamWin appears
    20. Verify TWRP is at current version (2.3.1.0 as of this writing)

Recommended:
    21. Press Backup button and make a NANDroid backup; Reboot System

Enjoy!

Advertisement
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 28, 2014
  2. BensonCheng

BensonCheng New Member

Hi Ev erybody,
    I stationed in Shanghai. My Galaxy Note 10.1 N8010 was note rooted. I want to know can it be rooted to have Google Play App into my Tablet.
    My Table Galaxy Note 10.1 N8010 WIFI version has the following data.
    Android 4.1.2
    Model Number GT N8010
    Kernel version 3.0.31-844373
    Se.infra@sep 94 #1
    SMP PREEMPT Thu Feb 7.21:37:23 kst 2013
    Build Number JZ054K.N8010ZCCMB1

Please advise whether my model can root it or not? Thank
  3. Zoandroid

Zoandroid Well-Known Member

The link for Samsung Windows Drivers is broken.
  4. malibuninja

malibuninja New Member

"recovery-twrp-2.3.0.0-p4noterf.tar.md5" Link is broken!