• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Guide to removing stock apps....

Status
Not open for further replies.
So what if you're the dummy who already removed Launcher and did a factory reset? I'm thinking of trying to access phone [LG Optimus V] as a mass storage device but wouldn't have a clue on the following1) where to get Launcher (and know source is safe) and 2) where the heck to put it.

Any ideas? Sincerely, dummy

Upvote 0
So what if you're the dummy who already removed Launcher and did a factory reset? I'm thinking of trying to access phone [LG Optimus V] as a mass storage device but wouldn't have a clue on the following1) where to get Launcher (and know source is safe) and 2) where the heck to put it.

Any ideas? Sincerely, dummy

That's a tough one.

You say you removed the launcher and factory reset. If you hadn't factory reset, your device would still have your Google account connected/registered with Google and you could probably just use the online (non app) version of the Google Play store to automatically download an alternate launcher to your device until you can get the original restored.

I'm not familiar with the Optimus V, but I think I can assume that trying to access the phone in mass storage mode will not help since you will not be able to copy a launcher apk to the /system/app/ directory that way.

Do you happen to have ClockworkMod Recovery (CWM) installed?

If no, then I suggest you head over to the LG Optimus V forum to find out what the best method of restoring your phone to stock would be. I'm sure you wouldn't be the first person who needed to do so.

Do you have a PC handy with the USB cable for your phone and the Android SDK installed? You could try ADB to push the launcher back to /system/app/. I'm not sure if that would work on your phone. Was it rooted? Did ADB work with root permissions?

Upvote 0
I can't speak for OV, but on my OE if for some reason I ended up without any launcher whatsoever, a factory reset would restore it. At least for the OE.

Also, this guide may need to be updated:

Android Keyboard - Safe to remove if another keyboard has been installed and switched to.
Bluetooth Share - Safe to remove if you do not use Bluetooth.
Contacts - Can be replaced with alternative contacts lists.
Dialer - Can be replaced with alternative dialers.
Home Screen Tips - Safe to remove if you are developing a ROM. Phone will not force close without it on a fresh ROM. If you factory reset, the phone will FC.
Market Feedback Agent - Can be frozen safely with no harm to anything. Likely, therefore, can be removed safely.
NFC Service - Near field communications - removal causes Play Store issues.
NFC Handover - Near field communications - removal causes Play Store issues.

Upvote 0
kw, first of all, congratulations on the new family addition! That's awesome!

Secondly, THANK you for posting this. I just ordered an OE through VM. I'm upgrading from an ancient feature phone, so I'm a newbie with smart phones. Not sure whether or not I want to have it rooted (I have teckie friends who can do this if I want) or not, but was wondering what bloatware apps I could harmlessly uninstall without damaging the operating system. I know there's a lot of crap apps that I will not need/have no use for.

Thanks again! I'll now be regular reader of this forum and will try to contribute by posting if I run across anything unusual or have problem for which I found a solution.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones